Zebralight H600

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Zebralight H600

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 17, 2012 9:14 pm

My zebras kicked all sorts of ass in TAG this weekend. Lit up mystery falls entirely, light up valhalla at midnight. Lit up the megadome on one. recorded better video (on my iphone) in cagles than I have ever been able to in the past. I have no complaints. Yeah the back order issue sucks, but its not the first time i have had that happen.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Took my H600w caving with me for the first time today. I am 100% satisfied with its performance underground. I am glad I went with the neutral white version as the color quality of the LED is excellent (see picture at bottom). $89 well spent.

When I first took the light out of the box and turned it on I was concerned there wasn't enough spill for my liking, and that it would be harder to see things in my peripheral vision. However, when I placed it on my head the spill did not seem too narrow at all. I was also concerned that the spill would be so dim and useless on the lower settings and that the hotspot would be the only usable portion of the beam, but I am happy to report that the beam is still plenty wide enough in even the lowest setting.

The size of the hotspot is perfect for my needs and not too concentrated. As a result it doesn't throw very far (although farther than most), but I wasn't looking for a thrower anyway. It does put out a massive wall of light though on turbo mode, which is ideal for lighting up entire cave rooms. As a caver, it's usually very hard to find a light that does this well. There are plenty of lights that can throw very far and plenty of lights that are super diffuse for wide lighting, but the H600w seems to be one of the very few with the ability to strike a happy medium.

The lower of the two middle settings (18 lumens) seemed to be the brightness setting I used most often and was more than enough light. Zebra claims 50 hours of runtime on this setting with a 2900mAh battery, which isn't too shabby for a single cell caving light.

No problems with operating the switch. Even with gloves on it is easy to find and depress it.

My helmet is a lot lighter now using this light. I am still amazed at how lightweight the H600w is. I am also very happy that there is no longer a battery pack or power cord on my helmet to constantly snag on things.

As a final note, I took my dirty H600w and ran it under the faucet after my caving trip. Not all the dirt came off, so I took an old toothbrush to it while water was still running onto it. Taking it one step further I placed my light in the sink and filled it with water, allowing it sit fully immersed for over five full minutes. During this time of total immersion I operated the switch and used the toothbrush on it again at the tailcap, lens and switch areas just for good measure. I then took it out of the water and let it run the full three minutes of turbo (where the light gets very hot). No condensation whatsoever formed on the lens throughout the entire test, and when I took the tailcap off not a single drop of water was inside. I think it's safe to say this light is as waterproof as I'll ever need it to be. : )

Here is a picture where I used the H600w for light painting on turbo mode:
(note that the light is not this bright in real life, it just looks this way because of the 8 second exposure setting)

Apparently 645 lumens was overkill, so I brought it down to to 56 lumen setting and got a much better result:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 5, 2012 12:51 am

zebra only.......

and people thrown in for scale. they obviously helped light up for this shot.......

And obviously they helped with this big ass breakdown room too but you get the idea of the forefront lighting from the H600

and this group shot was with my helmet left at the camera. not a huge passage but gives you an idear....

still dig the light.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Mar 5, 2012 2:28 am

What cave is this?
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 5, 2012 7:04 am

Crevice Cave. Missouri's longest.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Zebralight H600

Postby NSS8921 » Mar 30, 2012 6:56 am

For you fans of flood beams, Zebralight has cool (712 Lm) and neutral (612 Lm) versions of it's H600. Me, I'm going to wait for a brighter Spark.

John
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Caver John » Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

LOve my sd6-500cw.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby rlboyce » May 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Video was taken with the 361 lumen setting. I used the turbo mode (645 lumens) a couple of times. I am fairly pleased with its performance as a video light, and as a caving light in general. I'm sure the Spark ST6 series is equally good.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » May 13, 2012 8:49 pm

ive used the hell out of both zebras, the 600 and the 600w and i love both. ill probably buy both floods to match with the 600 and 600h so i dont have two different beam colors.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BenS » Jul 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Sorry to bump this, but I have a quick question about a battery for this headlamp. Does anyone know if the Callie's Kustoms 2250 IMR would work with this headlamp and if it would even be an improvement over their normal 3100mah battery?
BenS
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Skinner
NSS #: 64281

Postby Bag » Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I know this is super late, but i have the H600 and its amazzzing. Way bright enough for caves in austin texas, and it last me usually 4 3-5 hour trips or more before i have to swap the battery. Highly reccomend.
Bag
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: UT grotto

Postby submassabielle » Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Can anyone comment on how the H600w and the H600fw (floody) compare?
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Postby Bag » Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Floody is slightly dimmer, although if you're filming or taking pictures it is much better due to its nice, soft spill
Bag
Infrequent Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Apr 29, 2013 3:33 am

There are 18650 cells from Panasonic which have capacity 3,4 Ah. Zebras have its own PCB so you may use industrial cells without PCB. But in such case you MUST use special charger which is possible to set up according to cell charge parameters!
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby Bag » Jul 5, 2013 9:46 pm

Use orbtronic's protected 3400mah 18650's! Sure they're 16 bucks a pop, but they last a good bit longer than any others I've found :grin:
Bag
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum