Fenix hp-11 or Spark st-6 500cw

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fenix hp-11 or Spark st-6 500cw

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 11, 2011 8:47 am

Lava wrote:Dean,

Did they send you a 500CW or a 460NW like they did me?

500CW

DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 11, 2011 8:52 am

Caver John wrote:Great write up ^^ ! Thanks! Try it out without the reflector in there and cOmpare that to the diffuser. Lots of good input here thanks!

Will do. :goodjob:

If I were to hazard a guess, the most likely scenario I would choose to use the diffuser lens in-cave would be during survey... especially when I'm on sketch. I'm also wondering if I can track down a red filter, so I can use my ST-6 when I'm out in the field with my telescope.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Sep 11, 2011 9:02 am

Got lucky and found yet another good beamshot comparison site (http://fonarik.com/test/). Among the beamshots are some of Zebralight's SC600 model. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it basically is H600 in flashlight form. The beam profiles are probably going to be somewhat different between the H and SC, but the max lumens (and probably efficiencies) will be the same. After seeing the tint, I'm starting to think that it would in fact be acceptable. I still really prefer the tint of a 460NW, but at the same time I have been caving for years with a cool white LED and I'm perfectly used to this color. I definitely think I'm going to wait for the H600 to come out now before buying, so I can compare it with the 460NW and 500CW. Okay, enough yapping. Here are some pics (I recommend that you open these links up in separate tabs so you can quickly switch between pictures while comparing):

HP11 at highest setting (a claimed 277 lumens)
http://fonarik.com/test/img/P-fenix-HP11-CREE-XP-G-R5-277lm.jpg

HP11 at highest setting with the diffuser (Note the HUGE annoying glare from the diffuser)
http://fonarik.com/test/img/P-fenix-HP11-CREE-XP-G-R5-diffuser-277lm.jpg

SC600 at highest setting (a claimed 750 lumens)
http://fonarik.com/test/img/P-zebra-SC600-CREE-XM-L-750lm.jpg
(↑ WOW. This picture says it all)

For reference, some comparison shots between an HP11 and 460NW from light-test.info...

HP11 at highest setting
http://www.light-test.info/mod/out/fenix_hp11_high.jpg

460NW at highest setting (which has been tested and confirmed as closer to 400 lumens... still a ton of light):
http://www.light-test.info/mod/out/spark_st6_warm_boost.jpg

$89 for the upcoming H600. $99 for the 500CW/460NW. $65 for the HP11. All great lights in their own way, and I'd be happy to own any of these.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 13, 2011 10:35 am

got my 500 yesterday. charged up the batteries and went outside with my hp20 and this light. While the spot of the hp20 is definately focusted and will throw quite a ways, it really appeared to me that the 500 would throw the light just as far, if not further, and it was like a flood light, lighting up my entire back yard, and the neighbors, and their neighbors, and their neighbors, and theirs.............I was lighting up the yard down the way 4-500 feet away anyways.

ON saturday the 24th, weather permitting, I am doing a 10 hour trip into the Rimstone River cave in perry co, MO. This trip involves a LOT of water, and a lot of submersion from jumping off 6-8' high rimstone dams into deep plunge pools. The main bore hole is pretty much 35-40' by 35-40x in diameter so I am anxious to see how well it lights it up. I will take some video clips im sure, and a few pictures.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm

DeanWiseman wrote:
Caver John wrote:Great write up ^^ ! Thanks! Try it out without the reflector in there and cOmpare that to the diffuser. Lots of good input here thanks!

Will do. :goodjob:

If I were to hazard a guess, the most likely scenario I would choose to use the diffuser lens in-cave would be during survey... especially when I'm on sketch. I'm also wondering if I can track down a red filter, so I can use my ST-6 when I'm out in the field with my telescope.

-Dean

Another astro-caver... knew I wasn't the only one.
:kewl:

edit- wow at that pic of the 750 lumen SC600!
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby rlboyce » Sep 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for letting us know Chad. I know you're very picky about your lights, so it's a good sign you haven't found any major faults with it yet. I'll be anxiously awaiting the in-cave report. I suspect it will perform quite well. If you have any caving companions on the trip that have a Sten, don't pass up the opportunity to compare and rub it in their face. : )

Jansen, yeah... if the H600 puts out that same amount of light like advertised... it's gonna be a BEAST of a light. 750 Lumens... that sounds awful close to the predicted max output of an upcoming caving light that will cost approximately four times as much. 750 Lumens also EXCEEDS the base model Scurion, which is over SEVEN times more expensive... OUCH!! I check Zebralight EVERY day, hoping that that day is THE day they release it. Then I just have to wait a few days for a light review on CPF, and after which I can finally choose my next light.... the 500CW (maybe the 460NW instead) or the H600. I've never been so excited to spend money, haha!
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Sep 13, 2011 6:22 pm

And Chad, yes, PLEASE TAKE SOME VIDEO for us!! Having more light for videos is one of the main reasons I want a more powerful headlamp. Bragging rights and light for the big rooms are the other main reasons. : )
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 13, 2011 6:46 pm

rlboyce wrote:And Chad, yes, PLEASE TAKE SOME VIDEO for us!! Having more light for videos is one of the main reasons I want a more powerful headlamp. Bragging rights and light for the big rooms are the other main reasons. : )

I'll do my best to get everyone to shut their headlamps off so I can shoot some video of specific areas then. Soem of the passages are downright huge int his cave though so some of the video still probably wont turn out simply because there is so much empty space. lol.

but I will have my fenix HP10 on my helmet as well so i can switch between the two on video to show the difference of those. I took the HP20 off last night and its not goin back on.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Chads93GT wrote: Soem of the passages are downright huge int his cave though so some of the video still probably wont turn out simply because there is so much empty space. lol.

Missouri must have some really big caves! TN may have more caves but I bet most of them are not as big as those in Missouri and Kentucky.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 13, 2011 7:48 pm

tncaver wrote:
Chads93GT wrote: Soem of the passages are downright huge int his cave though so some of the video still probably wont turn out simply because there is so much empty space. lol.

Missouri must have some really big caves! TN may have more caves but I bet most of them are not as big as those in Missouri and Kentucky.

'=

http://www.semogrotto.org/download/file.php?id=91

Well, the main trunk of the rimstone river is pretty big. this pic was taken a few years ago when my wife and i were beginning. she was 2 months pregnant in this picture. i really dont know how well it will light this up as this is a really big trunk that goes on like this for miles.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

tncaver wrote:Missouri must have some really big caves! TN may have more caves but I bet most of them are not as big as those in Missouri and Kentucky.

:off topic: But Tennessee has better football, and damn better whiskey... :off topic:

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Sep 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Dude, that IS a huge trunk. I'm jealous there isn't stuff like that around here.

Yessir, them Titans will show Mussoura whatfer! : )
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah, that particular part is called the anti gravity pool. If you notice we are sitting in a lower pool than what is upstream, then the next rimstone that cuts all the way across, the water upstream from that is at the same level as the water I am in, but the next dam upstream from that, the water that is backed up behind is, is the same level as the pool behind me. weird place. cool hydrology.

I guess it is pretty big aint it,.......... lol
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 14, 2011 3:56 am

Chads93GT wrote:I guess it is pretty big aint it,.......... lol

Very big, and VERY cool! :kewl:
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Sep 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Chad, are there any books out on the caves in your area? They sound really epic.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum