Fenix hp-11 or Spark st-6 500cw

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fenix hp-11 or Spark st-6 500cw

Postby Cody JW » Oct 3, 2011 1:35 pm

Extremeophile wrote:
rlboyce wrote:Idunno... I've heard significantly more good than bad about Stens.
I guess everyone has their own opinion though.

Yes. It's interesting to me that all the criticism I read here about Stens is coming from folks that don't own them. There seems to be a growing contingent of armchair cavers passing judgement on the faults of various headlamps without any first-hand experience. :doh:
You do not have to own one to see problems that others have with them when you are in the cave with them. I do not own one because I think you are foolish to spend that kind of money on a light when the tech. changes so rapidly. We already have lights that are over 100 lm brighter for one third the price, and it will only get better. Are they a nice light? hell yes. Would I pay 375 for one, not on my life with the other options we now have.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 4, 2011 3:26 am

Cody JW wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:
rlboyce wrote:Idunno... I've heard significantly more good than bad about Stens.
I guess everyone has their own opinion though.

Yes. It's interesting to me that all the criticism I read here about Stens is coming from folks that don't own them. There seems to be a growing contingent of armchair cavers passing judgement on the faults of various headlamps without any first-hand experience. :doh:
You do not have to own one to see problems that others have with them when you are in the cave with them.

Well... for what it's worth, I'll invite anyone who has a Sten (regardless of the version) to invite me on a decent caving trip (hopefully without Dean-sized squeezes :tonguecheek: ). We can do a joint write-up... maybe even submit it to the NSS News? Even better, if we can find a Scurion (I know at least one person with one)... and I'm ~probably~ going to buy that new Zebralight H600 as a companion lamp... that would be a fun little caving-trip comparison. I doubt anyone I know has a Rude Nora, though. Oh well. :roll:

But we should definitely set up a trip with as many different lights as we can find. Maybe Tumbling Rock?? Solution Rift?

:exploring:

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Oct 4, 2011 9:33 am

DeanWiseman wrote:Well... for what it's worth, I'll invite anyone who has a Sten (regardless of the version) to invite me on a decent caving trip (hopefully without Dean-sized squeezes :tonguecheek: ). We can do a joint write-up... maybe even submit it to the NSS News? Even better, if we can find a Scurion (I know at least one person with one)... and I'm ~probably~ going to buy that new Zebralight H600 as a companion lamp... that would be a fun little caving-trip comparison. I doubt anyone I know has a Rude Nora, though. Oh well. :roll:

But we should definitely set up a trip with as many different lights as we can find. Maybe Tumbling Rock?? Solution Rift?

:exploring:

-Dean

Now your talking!
Enough speculating about beam patterns, LED warmth, front-to-back weight distribution, lumens, etc.... Let's go caving!

I'm thinking about a Mammoth expedition over New Years, and could be talked into staying to visit some TAG caves. I might also be in Indiana for work during the 2nd week of November. I'll bring my Scurion (the 1500).

Derek
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Oct 4, 2011 3:47 pm

I suspect The Scurion 1500 will be brighter than anything , then after that will be the Rude Nora then after that the list gets long. As far as headlamps are concerned that are mass marketed .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby rlboyce » Oct 4, 2011 5:37 pm

Do it!! : )
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 5, 2011 6:41 am

Extremeophile wrote:]
Now your talking!
Enough speculating about beam patterns, LED warmth, front-to-back weight distribution, lumens, etc.... Let's go caving!

I'm thinking about a Mammoth expedition over New Years, and could be talked into staying to visit some TAG caves. I might also be in Indiana for work during the 2nd week of November. I'll bring my Scurion (the 1500).

Derek

I'm all for it! Just let me know the details of your trip(s), and we'll work something out. I have Bridge Day coming up on the 15th of this month, but after that, the calendar is wide open.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Oct 5, 2011 2:24 pm

Sounds like that would be a great opportunity to get together and meet fellow CaveChatters as well. One of the best testing grounds I could think of would be Ellisons. We could see if any headlight can throw a beam of light to the bottom of Fantastic 600' below. I am guessing the Scurion would probably do it, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 5, 2011 3:10 pm

trogman wrote:Sounds like that would be a great opportunity to get together and meet fellow CaveChatters as well. One of the best testing grounds I could think of would be Ellisons. We could see if any headlight can throw a beam of light to the bottom of Fantastic 600' below. I am guessing the Scurion would probably do it, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

I'm up for it. I've actually hauled an incandescent "deer-hunter special" hand lamp, powered by a 12V sealed lead-acid battery in there before, back in the mid 90's... I'm guess about 150,000 candlepower. Could see floor, no problem. Hardest part was finding a place in the attic where you could get a good view down... there's sort of a "twist" in the shape of Fantastic Pit at the top. So even though it's a free drop, you must either be in the perfect spot on the lip, or out away from the lip on rope.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 5, 2011 10:14 pm

Last time I was at fantastic with my HP20 (new) I was amazed that I could see the light reflecting off of the water at the bottom of the pit. Granted, it didnt look like daylight down there like a 150,000 candle power lamp would but yeah, i know the types youa re talking about. Friends of mine back home have some powerful stuff for coon hunting, among other things.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Oct 9, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, I think I just stepped off the proverbial cave light "bus" for a few years.

Spark ST6-460NW primary and Zebralight H31w backup. Just a few years ago I couldn't have imagined a setup this small and light with so much runtime and light output.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby rlboyce » Oct 10, 2011 5:15 am

I am envious of your setup. The really cool part is, these lights are so cheap that it's not as if I need to save up money to buy them!
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NSS8921 » Oct 10, 2011 6:00 am

Comparison of Stenlight 7 and Spark 460NW (with normal lens and the reflector): This comparison was made in Richard’s Cave, GA. Conditions were quite dry, so the 4 waterfall drops had only heavy spray. The big room at the bottom is several hundred feet long and up to 120’ wide. Most of the comparison took place there.

The Stenlight 7 is much bluer than the Spark 460NW, but still comes across as white. The Spark is noticeably brighter on turbo. The Spark also has a tighter center beam, but more spill. Both are fine lights.

Eventually, I will try the diffuser, but I am very happy with the normal lens for horizontal and vertical caving.

For the $90 investment in the Spark (I already had 18650’s and charger), I am very happy.

John
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 10, 2011 7:38 am

used mine this weekend in deep well. i could easilys ee the bottom of the 292' drop from the top, the spark 500 that is. It lit up the big room in wilson hollow horror hole as well.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 10, 2011 9:09 am

Lava wrote:Well, I think I just stepped off the proverbial cave light "bus" for a few years.

Spark ST6-460NW primary and Zebralight H31w backup. Just a few years ago I couldn't have imagined a setup this small and light with so much runtime and light output.

:kewl:

I'm going to do the same thing, only more whole-hog, and get the H600. :yikes:

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Oct 10, 2011 11:22 am

Brighter than the Stenlight you say? Hmm... I'm sold!!

Now you're talking Dean! : ) I have a feeling that the H600 will be significantly brighter than the 500CW.

Do any of you know what the spot and spill angles are on the Sparks? It would be very helpful to know this for those who are undecided between a 500CW and H600.

Couple more weeks and I'll be buying one... I can't wait!
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum