Loaning equipment

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Loaning equipment

Postby Jon » Aug 12, 2011 2:12 am

Hey Just for grins how long do you folks loan equipment to newbies? I kind of have a limit of 3 or 4 trips and then figure they need to start to invest in lids or lights.

I have no problem with people using bike/skateboard helmets for easy horizontal only caves for a while (as long as they aren't un shelled styrofoam)
I have no problem lending some stuff but not everything for life.

Just thought this might be interesting for different areas thoughts. And for that matter I figure there might be an interesting story or two about what someone showed up with.

Funny thing, people I've lent real equipment to try out caving tend to buy their own equipment quicker than people who bring their own bike/skateboard helmets.

I don't like to lend or borrow safety equipment in a very hazardous situation. I try and instill that on newbies. In a very controled situation I can see using others vertical equipment to see one time if you can deal with it. but in my world once you make that choice to go vertical the most you use someone elses rope. Yeah I know that is strange but to me I know if a pal is trusting his life on that line I can trust mine. Now his old throwaway harness. rack etc I'm not so sure. But then I'm just that way.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Re: Loaning equipment

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 12, 2011 4:37 pm

There are people coming intermittently to our grotto trips I have loaned gear to for years. If I have spare gear why not let someone use it? I see it as investing in the sport. If someone caves 2 times a year I can see why plunkin down for their own gear is a low priority.

I do of course have a lot of gear. On a recent grotto trip to an easy horizontal cave, 4 grotto members showed. I brought and outfitted with helmets, lights, and kneepads 6 other ppl besides myself. We all had a great time and they took turns carrying my pack. Our grotto also has about 5 helmets/lights for loaners.

If you have folks that are coming regularly and keep borrowing......give them your pack :tonguecheek:

I have seen people show up in spandex shorts, flip flps, waders, tyvek suits (not as funny now), and bring ski rope for a "beginners vertical trip".

*I* don't generally use other gear, but if they trust my gear then they are free to use it. I won't generally blink at using someones rack or even helmet in a pinch. Biners, ropes, harnesses....I look over more carefully. Ropes....I bring my own or use someone's I trust...when I can.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Loaning equipment

Postby Jon » Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

I haven't run into the once or twice a year caver. Have had a few permanent borrowers though. Only thing worse than them is the always mooching a ride but never chipping in for gas. Although with WNS decon the permanent equipment borrower is getting labor intensive.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Return to Equipment Forum