TAGLites upgrades

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TAGLites upgrades

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Aug 7, 2011 11:39 am

I really want a Sten-Light...but all I've got is a TAGLite. I like my TAG, too. Despite the whole external battery thing. I just wish that the TAG was brighter and battery would last longer.

I got to thinking that you can upgrade a Maglite from incandescent to LED, why couldn't you do that with a TAGLite?

Thing is I'm out of depth, electronically, here. Watts and Lumens and other such things. Far as I can tell the TAG is a 6 volt system but I'm not sure which bulb would go best with that voltage. It seems like Nichia and Terralux are the main manufactures. If y'all could give me any guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Re: TAGLites upgrades

Postby mooreshire » Aug 7, 2011 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum! I have no experience with the TAGLite, but the answer is going to be: of course you can upgrade it, but your success is likely to depend on how quickly you can wrap your head around the electronics that you admit to not being overly familiar with. If you can solder, depending on how easily the light is dismantled and what kind of switch the light uses you might be able to spend $10 on a Cree LED and matching driver and just wire it in - that's what i did to upgrade my old Petzl Mega. (http://global.ebay.com/Cree-Q5-White-LE ... 66573/item)

Check out candlepowerforums.com for the really heavy stuff, or maybe better advice.
mooreshire
Occasional Poster

Name: James Mooreshire
NSS #: 45688
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Re: TAGLites upgrades

Postby PaulSiegel86 » Aug 7, 2011 8:28 pm

I'll admit I wasn't planning on breaking out the solder. The TAGlite bulb and the the maglite bulb look to be very similar to my untrained eye. My question is: Is there an easy drop in that I can use safely?
PaulSiegel86
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum