Coveralls Built-In Hood

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you use the built-in hood on your coveralls?

Often.
9%
Sometimes.
11%
Rarely.
17%
Never.
29%
I don't have one.
34%

Total votes : 35

Coveralls Built-In Hood

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 1, 2011 8:21 am

Do you use the built-in hood on your coveralls?

I currently don't have one in my coveralls. I used to. I used it maybe 3 times in 10 years. Now I use a balaclava or a hooded jacket, which is nice in a waterfall to keep water from rolling down my back.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Coveralls Built-In Hood

Postby LukeM » Jul 1, 2011 11:47 am

If I'm doing a lot of vertical trips, maybe 1 in 10 times I'll throw my hood on for a wet pit.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby rlboyce » Jul 1, 2011 1:53 pm

I wear poly/cottons, so it's obvious which one I voted for. : )
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Cody JW » Jul 1, 2011 7:52 pm

Unless I am swimming caving coveralls are WAY too hot for me . 90 percent of the time I prefer to wear single layer poly pro bottoms under jeans and maybe a poly pro top ( only in wet stuff) under a military BDU top, most of the time I just wear a t-shirt under the military top. I carry a lightweight stocking cap in my pack if I suspect I may get wet. Been doing that for 30 years and so far I have not suffered from hypothermia yet. Also I can not wear ready to wear coveralls, if they are large enough for my chest they are way too long and too big everywhere else.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 2, 2011 4:15 pm

Never had coveralls. Just working on designing some now with a seamstress friend of mine. Hey, cheaper to work with a friend and just buy the 1000d cordura at $7/yrd and then I know it fits me! Like Jeff, nothing off the shelf fits me. I am the definition of curvy, before curvy turned into the "polite way to say fat" haha.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caveflower » Jul 2, 2011 6:50 pm

Amy I would get some 650-700d cordura. The 1000d would be way to stiff to cave in. They would last forever but not be very compfy. Just thought I'd save you buying the wrong thing. You would want to put some of the 1000d on the knees and butt area, but not the whole thing. Sewing it with a heavy duty machine shouldn't be a problem. Have fun and make them some really wild color like mine. Hot pink! :yikes:
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby rlboyce » Jul 2, 2011 9:53 pm

caveflower wrote:Amy I would get some 650-700d cordura. The 1000d would be way to stiff to cave in. They would last forever but not be very compfy. Just thought I'd save you buying the wrong thing. You would want to put some of the 1000d on the knees and butt area, but not the whole thing. Sewing it with a heavy duty machine shouldn't be a problem. Have fun and make them some really wild color like mine. Hot pink! :yikes:

But the question is... should she include a hood in the design? :big grin:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby paul » Jul 3, 2011 10:31 am

My suit has a hood but I never use it. Like most European cavers, we try and rig pitches avoiding the water. Occasionaly there may be a wet but short climb but I just don't bother putting the hood up.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby MUD » Jul 3, 2011 10:53 am

caveflower wrote:Amy I would get some 650-700d cordura. The 1000d would be way to stiff to cave in. They would last forever but not be very compfy. Just thought I'd save you buying the wrong thing. You would want to put some of the 1000d on the knees and butt area, but not the whole thing. Sewing it with a heavy duty machine shouldn't be a problem. Have fun and make them some really wild color like mine. Hot pink! :yikes:

:waving: My suit is a self-made custom. All 1000d cordura and even heavier proprietary material on the elbows, knees and bum. While being heavier than most, its not too heavy. Pads built into the elbows and knees. No hood. Yes its definately the strongest suit I've had but will eventually wear out like the rest. It will just take a few more years instead of a few more months like the ones bought off the rack!

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 3, 2011 11:30 am

Cavemud wrote:

:waving: My suit is a self-made custom. All 1000d cordura and even heavier proprietary material on the elbows, knees and bum. While being heavier than most, its not too heavy. Pads built into the elbows and knees. No hood. Yes its definately the strongest suit I've had but will eventually wear out like the rest. It will just take a few more years instead of a few more months like the ones bought off the rack!

:cavingrocks:

When I was looking at what they were made of seemed a lot used the 1000d. It doesn't seem too bad. (I ordered it like 3 wks ago so way too late haha). And yeah mine is hot pink and bright green. I wanted purple and green but what the supplier called "violet" is uh, magenta. I thought it would be a bright purple rather than the darker purple. Now I know to just order purple. Ah well. Pink and green is still sweet. I forget what kind of stitching she's doing but she said the suit will wear before her stitches fall out xD

But yes the real question is....do I add a hood to the design or not????
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Jul 3, 2011 2:45 pm

Over the years I have got the two piece type and have noticed that the heavy weight material I have seen gets heavy when wet and is also hotter. I long time ago I had a set of ready wear from Bob and Bob ( back in early 90s). They were real light weight and did not get heavy when wet. Durability was reasonable using it alot in wet Indiana crawls. Had to patch it a few times but liked that one better than any. By the way, it had a built in hood and I rarely used it.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby VACaver » Jul 4, 2011 7:42 pm

Sungura wrote:Never had coveralls. Just working on designing some now with a seamstress friend of mine. Hey, cheaper to work with a friend and just buy the 1000d cordura at $7/yrd and then I know it fits me! Like Jeff, nothing off the shelf fits me. I am the definition of curvy, before curvy turned into the "polite way to say fat" haha.

Where are you getting 1000d Corura for $7 / YD?
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby LukeM » Jul 5, 2011 7:59 am

I just got some black 1000D Cordura for $5.50/yd on Ebay. Planning on using it for reinforcement on various articles of clothing.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to Equipment Forum