Rechargeables in the Real World

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rechargeables in the Real World

Postby JSDunham » Mar 23, 2012 8:17 am

NZcaver wrote:Curious - what batteries are they, and what headlamps/devices have you been using them in? No noticeable decline in battery life? With my old dumb chargers, I still got years of life out of older low-capacity non-LSD Rayovac NiMHs and yet managed to kill my Energizer 2600mAH NiMHs in a year or less. Not sure whether to blame that more on the charger or the batteries. But if I'd used a smart charger back then, I would have been able to analyze the battery capacity and know exactly how healthy my cells were.

I've been using Energizer 2450mAH rechargables. I really only use them in my headlamps, but they still seem to work nearly as well as when I got them. They don't provide the same battery life as non-rechargables, but they work okay. The one complaint I have is that they don't hold their charge very well; once charged, they won't stay charged for more than a few weeks without losing power. Of course, they have been doing that since I got them. The charger is definitely "dumb." It also takes about 24 hours to charge a set of four batteries. I have thought about getting a better/faster one--it seems from other folks comments that there are a few options. I'm curious to try eneloop batteries as well and compare them to the ones I'm using now.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Re: Rechargeables in the Real World

Postby NZcaver » Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm

John - give Eneloops (or equivalent) a try for a while, and maybe pick up a smart charger if you feel really motivated.

Then report back. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum