New Headlamp By Makers of HUrricane/Little Monkey?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Headlamp By Makers of HUrricane/Little Monkey?

Postby Cody JW » Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

jeffkruse wrote:Yah but... I want neutral tint, AA battery holder, and some other stuff, plus shipping and insurance. No doubt bif isnt getting rich off this. It's just a little hard to impulse buy just because I want it.
Bif is offering shipping to USA at no extra charge. Also I have to say Bif has been more than fair to me in my dealings with him on both my Duo inserts. I am sure the light is worth it. He is in business to make money like everybody else, I do not get the impression he is trying to "screw" anybody.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby BOB_HOWARD_13 » Oct 1, 2011 4:52 pm

Site is down
BOB_HOWARD_13
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Team Poseidon

Postby rlboyce » Oct 1, 2011 5:07 pm

That's because Bif is in the process of readjusting the price to a lower value. ;)

I'd really like to see some beamshots of this thing.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 1, 2011 5:21 pm

rlboyce wrote:That's because Bif is in the process of readjusting the price to a lower value price. ;)

Fixed that for you. :tonguecheek:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby rlboyce » Oct 1, 2011 5:55 pm

Grazie signore
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Mugger » Oct 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Looks like a pretty good light!Now to talk the wife into getting me one for my birthday... or Christmas... or our anniversary... Hmm, maybe if I told her it could count for all three.... :laughing:
Mugger
Occasional Poster

Name: Hans
NSS #: 61554
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shasta Area Grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Oct 13, 2011 8:20 am

Although it may not be quite as exciting as the new Rude Nora lamp system, Bif has also released a new all-in-one Petzl Duo module that is quite a nice step forward as well.

http://customduo.co.uk/fullface.aspx

YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Oct 13, 2011 8:53 am

YuccaPatrol wrote:Although it may not be quite as exciting as the new Rude Nora lamp system, Bif has also released a new all-in-one Petzl Duo module that is quite a nice step forward as well.

http://customduo.co.uk/fullface.aspx

I just received my latest Duo insert and they are very nice. I have not yet tried mine in a cave yet but I did compare it in a dark room to my previous Custom Duo CD 1003. The light output appears to be similar but with the newer one the beam spread is wider, I suspect it is because the bulbs are further apart. The old unit allows you to use the old 14 insert with the CD 1003. The new one does not allow this and you get a complete reflector base and the two bulbs are further apart. I am told these are newer generation LEDs and are more efficient than previous models. This new model does not screw into the halogen side like the old ones do , it goes into the "prong" side. This makes it easier to install than the CD 1003 . This will bring your Duo to current LED standards , very nice. If you use regular alkaline the output with this newer model on the spot is similar to an HP-10. This has two bulbs that burn at the same time , one for glow and one for spot. It will light up around your feet well and give a spot similar to an HP-10 at the same time. This is much more efficient than an apex.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Oct 13, 2011 9:03 am

Cody JW wrote:The light output appears to be similar but with the newer one the beam spread is wider, I suspect it is because the bulbs are further apart.

Different spot LED/optic, I think.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I was just now looking for info on Rude Nora versus Scurion, came back to this thread, and noticed that Derek Bristol had posted early on. How fitting. Last week I caved with Derek in Carlsbad and got to see how a Sten compares to a Scurion. I must include qualifiers here, like that the Sten was a borrowed first-generation model (my own upgraded Sten was home with whitenose) and like that the cave passages were somewhat bigger than what I expect to stumble into back in West Virginia, or not often anyway. Still, the Honda Accord versus Porsche comparison doesn't hold, as both will get you home from work. The lights, on the other hand, compare more like day and night. I felt I was wearing a one-volt incandescent bulb.

We talked a bit about Rude Nora versus Scurion. Might depend on the Scurion model - not sure if he has 1200 or 1500. I agree that Scurion's 1450 lumen total output may not mean much, as the spot drowns out the flood if you use them both together. But on any day a 725-lumen spot is going to blow away a 425-lumen spot.

Now I need to find a way to justify the purchase. That's going to be tough, but I might just manage it.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Feb 21, 2012 10:29 am

Dwight, The Rude costs around 330 pounds ( between 550 and 600 dollars) depending on options and has a high of 850 Lumens . Scurion can go to 1450 Lumens and costs well over 1000.00 dollars. You may be looking at a Honda Accord vs Porsche 911 Turbo comparison. Also if you were using the first generation Sten I think those only go to 160 Lumens. Less than half of the current one. I am not currently aware of a peer that Scurion has. At least anything commercially available that is cave worthy . I do not own either light but to compare the Rude to The Scurion is like putting The Miami Heat against your top local high school basketball team.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am

Cody JW wrote:Dwight, The Rude costs around 330 pounds ( between 550 and 600 dollars) depending on options and has a high of 850 Lumens . Scurion can go to 1450 Lumens and costs well over 1000.00 dollars. You may be looking at a Honda Accord vs Porsche 911 Turbo comparison. Also if you were using the first generation Sten I think those only go to 160 Lumens. Less than half of the current one. I am not currently aware of a peer that Scurion has. At least anything commercially available that is cave worthy . I do not own either light but to compare the Rude to The Scurion is like putting The Miami Heat against your top local high school basketball team.

I think when it comes to comparisons, a lot depends what someone actually needs - if they don't actually need the highest objective output (for something like photography or video), and they're not caving with someone running a light at levels meaningfully brighter than their own can reach, a x1.7 difference in lumens might not make much subjective difference in practice even given identical beamshapes.
Given different beamshapes, practical differences might be decreased or increased, depending on the nature of the differences and on personal tastes.

It'd maybe more like comparing two comfortable cars where the speed was actually the same but the comfort level was objectively different even if that difference would only really be noticeable by someone repeatedly switching from one to the other, and even if it would only really annoy someone who was chronically disturbed once they knew they weren't driving the 'best' car.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I understand what you are saying potholer. I have been involved in a rather spirited debate on this forum on how much light you really need. If I caved in Malaysia most of the time or lived in The Salle De La Verna in France maybe it might be worthwhile to spend the money. But like most , I do not. I have found that the 280 lumens on my Custom Duo suits my needs just fine caving in Indiana, Kentucky and TAG. If I am in really big stuff or a deep pit I will break out a bright spotty handheld spot. But most of the time I am not. I suspect most Sten owners are happy with the output they get. It also may depend on ones financial situation. I am getting older and with the price of gas and all the WNS closings I am caving much less than I used to . I have to drive at least 100 mile round trip to get to the closest caving area to me. Hard for me to justify that much for a light , maybe some can. I do not intend to dis the Rude, I would LOVE to have one. I could justify that before a Scurion even though I know Scurion is brighter. Most guys I cave with use Sten and The Custom Duo seems to be a reasonable comparison to what they have. Especially considering the cost difference. If my current financial situation changes I will be first in line to get a Rude.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm not going to justify why I have a Fenix HP11. The cold truth is this...do you need a ZR1 Corvette to drive to the country or to the beach? No, but it sure makes the drive more exciting. It is also fun to punch it on open highways when you can. So, do you need a 1,450 lumens light to cave safely? No, but it makes caving more exciting and it is fun to punch it when you enter big rooms or long passages. I think if we were all honest, we would admit that if money was no object, we would own brighter lights and better caving/climbing equipment.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Feb 21, 2012 1:15 pm

If money were no object I would be in a home on the beach with a topless female staff. But reality is for 99.9 % of us money IS an object. I would love a Rude or a Scurion , it would be fun to blind my caving buddies. But I have to wake up and smell the coffee at some point.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum