New Headlamp By Makers of HUrricane/Little Monkey?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Headlamp By Makers of HUrricane/Little Monkey?

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

So my Scurion is the 1450 lumen model, but you can pre-set up to 10 combinations of spot and flood, and the 1450 max setting is when both spot and flood LEDs are putting out 725 lumens each. I find that the spot is so much more concentrated than the flood, and I don't like the beam pattern when the spot and flood have the same lumen output, so I generally cave with the flood only, and any pre-sets using both LEDs have the spot several settings below the flood. The net result is that the highest lumen output combination I have as a pre-set is 850 lumens... the same as the Rude Nora. Now, I don't know what the RN beam pattern is like, but it is at least possible that it is very comparable to the Scurion. Sure would be nice to read a review rather than speculation. I understand Aaron Addison has one on order. Maybe he can share his experience soon.

Dwight has been corrupted by caving with me in the Main Corridor and Big Room of Carlsbad. It's an unfair fight under those conditions.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby paul » Feb 26, 2012 5:34 pm

For those who are interested, I caved today with a fellow club member who has a Rude Nora, here in the UK. I have a 3 year old Scurion (the P4 400 lumen model) and compared it to the Rude Nora. Light output was similar in the fairly small passage we were in and the Rude Nora is quite a bit smaller and notcably lighter.

The main reason I bought the Scurion is for the all round spread of light which I really like and I was more interested in this aspect of the Rude Nora rather than comparing output.

The Rude Nora still gives the all round spread of light just the same as the the Scurion. Of course they both also have the "spot" LED as well. If I didn't already have the Scurion, I would seriously consider the Rude Nora simply because of the weight saving over the Scurion. The only drawback I could see may be the switch which is completey different. On the Scurion its a large knurled knob on the right hand side which you turn forwards or backwards about 20 degrees to cycle through the LED settings. On the Rude Nora, the switch is a small rubber botton on the rear of the light at the top whcih you press to cycle through the LED settings. It may be easier to use the scurion's switch, but I didn't really get a chance to try this out very much with the Rude Nora.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby Cody JW » Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

The ease that you can reach the switch with gloves on is why I like the Duo. When I tried using the Apex or HP-10 I fumbled to find the switch with gloves on. Sten has a switch that you can find with gloves and from the previous post ,so does Scurion. A small detail like that is a big plus for me. Still love to have a Rude Nora.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Oh brother. Talk about guys trying to justify their purchases :big grin: .
Hey Jeff, how about taking your little fingies of their little glovies and pushing the little switchy-witchy and saving 14billion dollars? Or is changing the led setting something that must be done instantly to avoid death?

What happened to Jeff?
Oh, he was fumbling with the switch on his Apex and a shark got 'im.
Well he wore himself out trying to change the settings on his Fenix and we had to leave him.

You guys can venture into the cursed bowels of deadly earth but you can't tolerate the laborious buttons that operate the classless lights used by us poor folks?
(I'm just jealous)
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Groundquest, My Duo insert was about the same price as Apex or HP-10. No big expense there. Nothing like a Sten or Rude or Scurion. I bought the Duo light itself back in 1993 for 60 bucks new. I would say I got more than my money s worth out of that. Still use it with the new insert. I sold the 130 Lumen Apex and recouped most of my money on that. Still have the HP-10 as a backup or for just pit yo yo's . For me it just got annoying fumbling to find the switch after spending over 15 years having no trouble at all. One of those little details you get with a light that was made for caving and not as a general sport light. Sometimes when you stop as a group you want to dial the light down or turn it off, or if you get to a pit or large passage you want to turn it on high, just nice not to have to take your glove off or fumble to do it.Like most I cave on the 140 Lumen setting and go down to the 25 Lumen setting when stopping as a group or go up to the high 280 lumen setting setting in big stuff or pits. Nothing life or death. Most lights have the settings for a reason.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 26, 2012 9:55 pm

I know, I know. I did think you were a Sten owner from the post above mine, but that's my mistake. I should have known better since you had that glorious article in Feb.'s News about Duo inserts.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum