Thoughts on the Fenix Hp-10

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Thoughts on the Fenix Hp-10

Postby Cody JW » Nov 3, 2011 9:11 pm

Chad, I have the HP-10 but do not put it through what you do. I have used my duo for 17 years in ALL kinds of caving conditions with no problems.I am not sure if fennix lights are actually made for caving ,but I know Duo was. I suspect that is why I have not had a problem. I just look at it this way, if somebody out there will make new generation inserts for a 20 year old light that the light must be a good one. I suspect Bif at Custom Duo knows more about caving lights than just about anyone on this forum and he still uses a Duo, even though he makes the new 850 Lumen Rude Nora. Check out his site, he speaks highly of The Duo. We have lots of bright lights to choose from now.Not sure how many are actually made from the drawing board up for caving.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby bif » Nov 4, 2011 6:35 am

Cody JW wrote: and he still uses a Duo, even though he makes the new 850 Lumen Rude Nora.

:laughing: You rotten sausage.

I do use a Duo though, partly because I'm too mean to buy a Nora from myself, which is the strange reality. If I give myself a Nora then it's one less to sell to someone else, so I effectively have the same high end lamp purchasing dilema as everyone else. More importantly, using a Duo buys me far more anonimity. If I have a Nora on my helmet, someone is sure to ask 'what lamp is that ?' and it doesn't take too long before they figure out that it's my lamp, and the whole flap that comes with this is embarrassing and does my head in :roll: .

Cody JW wrote: I suspect Bif at Custom Duo knows more

Tah, but you're definately wrong. There are some proper smart cookies out there. I do like lights though. I think it must be the form that my 'inner geek' has decided to take. Trouble with building lamps is that I find myself hesitating to get involved in discussions on other lights, much as I'd like to, because it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to assume that I have an agenda.

However, I did have a HP10 (along with loads of other lights), and now have a HP11, so I'm going to chip in and be damned. I liked the HP10, and it migrated to one of my boys caving helmets (because he really liked it, and you don't argue with 9 year olds). Sadly the little monster managed to trash it. Wasn't really bothered, they're not exactly expensive. So I tried to get another, but the HP11 was out by then, and I ended up with this instead. It's alright, but I preferred the HP10. What do you guys think, HP10 or HP11 ?
bif
Frequent Poster

Name: john
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wessex Cave Club

Postby Cody JW » Nov 4, 2011 7:38 am

bif wrote:Tah, but you're definately wrong. There are some proper smart cookies out there.
Bif, you are just being modest. What I mean is that I am not aware of many on this forum who commercially build multiple caving lights. I will take your word over somebody who is just trying to justify the light they own. I do not put my HP-10 through what Chad does because I never use mine. Ever since I got my Custom Duo I have no need to. The CD optics are far superior to Fennix. HP -10 is a blow torch in spot only. I use it for just pit yo yos where there is not much horizontal traversing .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bif » Nov 4, 2011 7:53 am

Cody JW wrote:I use it for just pit yo yos

I've put a special 1 lumen setting on my own Duo for this, so that I can ignore how far away the floor is.
bif
Frequent Poster

Name: john
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wessex Cave Club

Postby Cody JW » Nov 4, 2011 8:40 am

My problem with Fennix and also Apex is the little switch with the plastic membrane I feel is hard to find with a gloved hand. Especially if you are used to Duo. I can reach the switch on The Duo with gloves , on the other lights I fumble to find the switch. I do not own The Sten but it looks like it has a switch that is easy to reach also. It seems to me that a lever you move up or down (like Duo) or side to side (like Sten) is easier to find with gloves than a small recessed push button switch.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum