I know this is a bad idea but...

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

I know this is a bad idea but...

Postby bennettbike » Apr 8, 2011 8:17 pm

I usually I cave with my gonzo caving harness and it's amazing.
I just landed a tower climber job and was wondering if I could use a tower climbing harness to repel.
I have not been issued my harness yet so I don't even know if it's possible to use, does anyone have knowledge of the differences for tower climbing harnesses?
I can't paste links with my iPhone on cavechat but you can google "petzl tower technician safety harness".
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: I know this is a bad idea but...

Postby Bob Thrun » Apr 8, 2011 8:39 pm

If it is just a seat sling (harness, saddle), it is pretty much like a climber's or caver's seat sling and could be used for rappelling. If it is a full body harness, then it may have a back attachment. This is horribly uncomfortable to hang in. All the weight is on the crotch straps. It is difficult to control a rappel device connected to the back ring. A parachute harness has shoulder attachments and can be comfortable, though heavy.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 8, 2011 8:43 pm

This is what I get when I google it

Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LWMM » Apr 8, 2011 8:57 pm

Sungura wrote:This is what I get when I google it

Looks like a Petzl Navaho, which is something that would be used for towers and the like. I don't know how it would do for caving, although the attachment point is probably higher. Likely more similar to a climbing harness than to a caving one.
LWMM
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63001

Postby NZcaver » Apr 9, 2011 1:03 am

Yes, a modern industrial seat harness rated for tower climbing should be fine for rappelling (but not repelling). :wink: However it may not be very efficient for climbing if you're using a frog system.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cody JW » Apr 9, 2011 7:12 am

I have a Navaho that I use for big pits and rope walk only. It is very comfortable and easy to adjust. It is heavy and bulky compared to a Fractio or a caving harness. Like NZ said , the Navaho or most industrial harnesses have an attachment point too high for frog climbing. It would have a use for cave pits in some situations like surface drops or cliff drops or bridge day , something big where you rope walk.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby bennettbike » Apr 9, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for the Responses, and yes I'm not a spelling wiz, anyhow I don't like the idea of having my main attachment point higher up, I'll respond back Monday after I try it. You guys probably already know I may not like it... Heavy is lame but I'll take comfort.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 9, 2011 4:07 pm

Dude, I use the fully padded Goliath harness from OR1. Takes up room in my pack for *sure* but erm...I can hang in it for more than 5 min without my legs "falling asleep", which, I found to be preferable to be able to feel my legs. HA! It does mean a ton of people laugh at me though. I keep hearing "caving harnesses are supposed to be nice and light and compact, they aren't supposed to be comfortable!" well erm...fine then. To each their own. I don't want to be in pain within 10 min on rope, thank you very much. And OR1 is right...the croll sits *very* low. I totally should have gotten the size smaller though. I was in the Med-Large overlapping range and I went with large. I picked wrong. :(
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Apr 9, 2011 5:47 pm

If this harness is built like a Navaho you can clip your biner or quick link into the webbing loops that the metal ring is hooked to instead of using the metal ring, this will lower the attachment point some but will still be too high to frog. That is what I do. I have no regrets getting mine but you just have to understand it is not good for most in cave situations like multi drops because of the bulk. But , for big open air stuff it is VERY comfortable if you are used to a caving harness. I bought mine knowing I was going to do bridge day and Golonrinas soon after the purchase. I always tell people the Navaho is like going down the rope in an easy chair.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to Equipment Forum