Cave pack Recommendation Needed!!

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave pack Recommendation Needed!!

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm

jeffkruse wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:The swaygo really is tough, very tough, but you can tear holes in it dragging it across sharp rocks, or standing up into stalactites. My pack has about 20 or 25 holes in it that are patched with aquaseal. Swaygo's are great because they don't absorb water and they can be used as a flotation in river caves. Great in crawling caves where you can just clip it to your foot and drag it behind you. I wouldnt do that with a lost creek or the on rope packs (I have both and i prefer on rope packs, many more features that make it much more user freindly). Both have their pros and cons. Swaygo's have 1" webbing for straps. On rope packs/lost creek have 2" webbing, but the onrope style is extremely easy to adjust, unlike the lost creeks.

I have the Swaygo Sink and have used it on over 50 trips. Yes ive popped holes in it, but thats the nature of the cave. ive done dozens of trips with the lost creek/onrope style pack as well and I love them for caves where I am not swimming, which is few and far between. Weigh your options and make your choice.

Wow, 25 holes in 50 trips? That doesnt sound very durable. Bummer. I was thinking about getting one but not now. I don't want to have to worry about my pack the whole trip.

Crawl ways loaded with glass tend to chew up anything you drag tied to your foot. Like I said, its the nature of the cave. Not all caves are as brutal as the one I am currently mapping, and not all cavers are as hard core as others. Some people simply tear gear up due to the way they cave. Im one of those people.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Yeah Jeff, I wouldn't worry about getting holes in your Swaygo in Puerto Rico. You guys just walk around and swim down there anyway! I think the Swaygo is perfect for Puerto Rican caves. For what it's worth, my Swaygo has been on about 200 trips and I have only poked four holes in it. These were from using it inabrasive sandstone canyons, not caves and all four holes are now patched watertight with aquaseal.

Some people just beat the s**t out of their gear. Chad is apparently one of them. The other person I know that can ruin a Swaygo on one trip is Jeff Bartlett. But as the saying goes, "That boy could F up a steel ball with a rubber mallet." You should see what his legs looked like after a week in Lech!

Heard that saying yet Bartlett? You've been in Tennessee a while now, so I assume you have.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby caveflower » Jul 12, 2011 10:37 am

I love my swaygo! I do a lot of river caves with wall to wall water. It has been on 100's of trips not one hole yet. Used it many many time for PFD in water over my head and just a lazy float down the Erie Canal in Blowing Hole cave. :big grin: I have the push pack and I can fit everything I need for a long trip. I travel light though. I also have a flint ridge and a tag from LC. I do still use those when doing vertical. I guess it all depends on what kind of caving you do. Wet cave you can't beat the swaygo dry Lost creek all the way.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby jeffkruse » Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am

I bought a Swaygo pack for my wife. I'll report back on how it holds up and wether I buy one for my self.
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Postby tncaver » Jul 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Yeah Jeff, I wouldn't worry about getting holes in your Swaygo in Puerto Rico. You guys just walk around and swim down there anyway! I think the Swaygo is perfect for Puerto Rican caves. For what it's worth, my Swaygo has been on about 200 trips and I have only poked four holes in it. These were from using it inabrasive sandstone canyons, not caves and all four holes are now patched watertight with aquaseal.

Some people just beat the s**t out of their gear. Chad is apparently one of them. The other person I know that can ruin a Swaygo on one trip is Jeff Bartlett. But as the saying goes, "That boy could F up a steel ball with a rubber mallet." You should see what his legs looked like after a week in Lech!

Heard that saying yet Bartlett? You've been in Tennessee a while now, so I assume you have.

I've lived in TN all my life and I never heard this one: "That boy could F up a steel ball with a rubber mallet", but I like that phrase and I hope to remember it
and it probably applies to several cavers I've met over the years. However, my one trip with Jeff Bartlett came off pretty good and so did he. :kewl:

I've also been using the same Lost Creek cave pack for over 25 years and another one for 20 years.
Last edited by tncaver on Jul 22, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby onebat » Jul 21, 2011 11:49 pm

I've had a plain ole' pack made by Wunderwear that I've used for years. Tough nylon.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum