Small spot flashlight? to side mount...

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Small spot flashlight? to side mount...

Postby Steven Johnson » Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm

I like to economize on lots of things, but lights I want to be more careful with, as a failed caving light will really ruin a trip pretty quick... and these look like cheesy knockoffs to me. IMHO, spending the extra $$$ for (say) a Zebralight or a Fenix is worth the money, at least until these currently-no-name brands establish a reputation.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks Brian! I like that price range.

Steven - it's not for a light light, it's so I can spot something far away or lightpaint or something with it. Not gonna be actually caving on it. Just want to helmet mount for easy access so I can keep my corona as my primary but I still have my apex in my bag if needed too. =) On a grad student salary (aka nothing :P) $10 compaired to $60 is basically food for 2 weeks so yeah, I economize on this one, haha!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Feb 27, 2011 9:32 pm

IMHO, reputation is the sum of experience. No light, no product, has a 100% positive experience from every user. You can buy without knowledge of reputation and take a gamble. That gamble may pay off or you might have lost on that gamble. You can buy with knowledge of reputation and be disappointed that the reputation you heard of isn't what your experience was or you may have found it to be exactly as expected. Even the best companies and products have their defects. No matter the choice of light, there is still the risk that the light does not function to your expectations.

Most of these lights work just fine and would stand up to normal caving conditions. Marduke has supplied some excellent examples, such as the Romisen. Reputation is very helpful, and this is why I strongly recommended that the reviews are thoroughly read. If you like one of these lights on DX, take it underground on a trial basis with a primary on the helmet and secondary/tertiary in your pack. With the incredibly cheap prices, there's really not much to lose.

Surely all products with good reputations didn't have a reputation starting out. How could those products earn a reputation if no one bought them because of a lack of reputation?

If I want a fast car, it doesn't mean I have to spend extra money to buy a Corvette.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby NZcaver » Feb 28, 2011 12:00 am

DX has some really fun stuff.

Some flashlights are better than others though, even with Cree LEDs. A caver friend picked up this bright 1 x AA focusing Cree LED flashlight. I was rather impressed with it for under $10, so I got one. Pretty quickly, I found the switch wasn't particularly reliable and often took some messing with taking apart/reassembling before it would turn on. Within a few months it wasn't really working at all.

Of course we all carry multiple sources of light, but maybe not all from DX. Just sayin'.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Steven Johnson » Feb 28, 2011 1:17 am

Sungura wrote:Steven - it's not for a light light, it's so I can spot something far away or lightpaint or something with it.

Oh -- in that case, go nuts! You can get a lot of light for a little money, if you're willing to accept the risk of dodgy workmanship.

If you trip won't be spoiled by the risk of the lights failing, then go for it.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 28, 2011 11:34 am

Steven Johnson wrote:
Sungura wrote:Steven - it's not for a light light, it's so I can spot something far away or lightpaint or something with it.

Oh -- in that case, go nuts! You can get a lot of light for a little money, if you're willing to accept the risk of dodgy workmanship.

If you trip won't be spoiled by the risk of the lights failing, then go for it.
Yeah no trip will be spoiled. I can always pull the Apex out of my bag for the spot if I need to, just wanted something small for my helmet for ease of access but that would allow me to keep the corona as my primary light since I like it's flood better than the Apex and for general moving around even in large rooms I use flood. It will do until I am RICH (aka not a grad student) and can then maybe get one of those modified duos or even save up for something more fancy like a sten :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum