Chinese Headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Chinese Headlamp

Postby MUD » Feb 21, 2011 5:50 pm

MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Re: Chinese Headlamp

Postby NZcaver » Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Interesting. Looks similar/identical to the one discussed in this topic from a couple of years ago.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby John Lovaas » Feb 21, 2011 6:41 pm

Here's a site selling the model that was discussed in the past-

http://www.dhgate.com/6ahs-led-li-ion-m ... 528c3.html

A $35 light. Or $81, according to the blog. Seems like a bit much- but it would be overkill for aboveground caving ;-)
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ghost » Feb 21, 2011 7:37 pm

The two UK suppliers of Chinese lamps both want around 100 UK pounds ($162) - double the cost of the yellow and gray model at the top of this post:

http://www.caving-gear.co.uk/show_product.asp?id=818
http://www.ledcavinglamp.co.uk//technical.asp

One of these at 50 UK pounds is a bargain price if you're a Brit. Remember import duty and tax (and DHL $kickbacks) has to be added to the prices on the Chinese web sites.
ghost
Infrequent Poster

Postby MUD » Feb 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Well then, what's the cost for us Americans? Including shipping. :shrug:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ghost » Feb 21, 2011 8:49 pm

Cavemud wrote:Well then, what's the cost for us Americans? Including shipping. :shrug:

Getting Chinese stuff into the USA in any formal business-like way almost needs a lawyer these days, the costs of which are loaded onto the price for the consumer. However, informal personal import for US citizens returning to the US is a much more practical proposition, with $800 value of goods per 30 days being allowed.

Great web site here:

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_mo/t_mo_customs.html

Other than that, find a buddy or family member traveling to Europe or wherever, maybe cultivate some Euro-buddies, and bring the stuff home in someone's baggage.

Tracked post rates UK to USA are horrible - causing an 80-buck UK-sourced lamp to double in price.
ghost
Infrequent Poster

Postby rlboyce » Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby MUD » Feb 22, 2011 12:23 am

:clap: What ya say Ghost...can ya beat that price? :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ghost » Feb 22, 2011 1:55 am

Cavemud wrote::clap: What ya say Ghost...can ya beat that price? :laughing:

Not in the USA I can't :sorry: I'm not pitching at the US market - I'm doing them in the UK at half the price the other UK people are doing them at - which is, for the UK, a bargain.

Watch out for import duty demands on those Doming lamps in the Ebay link, although to be fair none of the feedback mentions import duty being levied. They're good lamps, although only rated at 14 hours on main beam with 4.4AH cells. My lamp runs 18 hours and has 5.5AH cells. I know Juliet at Doming sales - nice lady. What they're trying to do is break into the USA market by selling at only slightly more than cost - note that the seller is the Doming factory in China, not a seller based in the States.

To look at the overall picture for a moment, I have great respect for the two UK vendors selling Chinese lamps at inflated prices, but they're going to be left high and dry if I and others start driving down the prices - which looks set to happen.

All I can say is that people should consider having a play with one of these lamps - they're a lot better than you think :kewl:
ghost
Infrequent Poster

Postby LukeM » Feb 22, 2011 9:46 am

These look cool but that beam...ugh. Big flood with a laser down the middle. No thanks. Also, do people still consider lights that have belt-mounted batteries these days, and why?
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby paul » Feb 22, 2011 1:28 pm

LukeM wrote:These look cool but that beam...ugh. Big flood with a laser down the middle. No thanks. Also, do people still consider lights that have belt-mounted batteries these days, and why?

Yes I tried one out a couple of years ago and even though the battery is very small, it's amazing how annoying having the cable going from your waist to your helmet is when you've got used to having everything mounted on your helmet.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby tncaver » Feb 22, 2011 4:36 pm

I would have loved to have one of those Chinese lights 15 years ago. But not today. LED's have spoiled me. :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ghost » Feb 22, 2011 7:25 pm

paul wrote:
LukeM wrote:These look cool but that beam...ugh. Big flood with a laser down the middle. No thanks. Also, do people still consider lights that have belt-mounted batteries these days, and why?

Yes I tried one out a couple of years ago and even though the battery is very small, it's amazing how annoying having the cable going from your waist to your helmet is when you've got used to having everything mounted on your helmet.

It's trivially easy to shorten the cable and helmet mount the Chinese battery, which is at least potted in a tough little box - unlike a Sten battery which appears to have just been wrapped in a couple of condoms (new one hopes :rofl: ) The Chinese lamp also features decent quality mining-grade cable, not bell wire. I'm still puzzled about why the high-end lights all avoid using proper mining-spec cable.

As for beam characteristics, you're obviously free to choose from a wide variety of underground lighting systems available. The Chinese beam is a mining lamp beam - wide spill with a very tight collimated pencil beam in the middle - some people like that, some don't. No problemo.
Last edited by ghost on Feb 22, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Infrequent Poster

Postby Marduke » Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Unfortunately a primary caving light is typically mostly flood. Spotlight beams are special purpose for distance viewing, and are of no use close up. Also, I'd prefer to use an LED that isn't already 2 generations behind.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Feb 23, 2011 7:23 am

ghost wrote:
paul wrote:

It's trivially easy to shorten the cable and helmet mount the Chinese battery, which is at least potted in a tough little box - unlike a Sten battery which appears to have just been wrapped in a couple of condoms (new one hopes :rofl: ) The Chinese lamp also features decent quality mining-grade cable, not bell wire. I'm still puzzled about why the high-end lights all avoid using proper mining-spec cable.

I wouldn't want a battery that size and weight on the back of my helmet - I know it's nothing compared to an Oldham battery but still too heavy and bulky for the rear of a helmet, in my opinion anyway.

By the way, I've been using a Sten for several years (as have some of my caving friends) and the battery has suffered no problems from wear and tear despite very heavy use. The main benefit of the Sten is its very small size and very light weight - including the battery.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Next

Return to Equipment Forum