Handlight on helmet

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Handlight on helmet

Postby Downundercaver » Feb 14, 2011 10:58 am

In the movie sanctum (using it as an example as its the last place i have seen it) most of the cavers have their helmet lamp aka Petzl Duo, then they have a high powered hand torch attached to the helmet i was wondering if anyone knows how to do this. Yes i know i can tape one to my helmet but in the movie they have some type of bracket. If anyone can help that would be great thanks.
Downundercaver
Frequent Poster

Name: Ben Mcalpine

Re: Handlight on helmet

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 14, 2011 11:07 am

Zip ties man, no need for a bracket or anything fancy. Bungee cord also works well.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Feb 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Here's one that will hold an AA powered mini mag-light

http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/ ... 552&brand=

I had one of these and bored it out to hold a slightly larger flashlight. It was soon apparent that it was quite possible to have the whole contraption fall apart from a good solid knock .

Zip ties turned out to be the better simpler solution.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby rlboyce » Feb 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Do brackets give you the ability to adjust the angle of a hand light on a helmet? If so, I can see why someone would prefer to use one over zip ties. Guess if your hand light was floody it wouldn't matter as much. I've never had a hand light on my helmet before so I admit my opinion doesn't weigh as much, but surely a light would come out of a zip tie setup before it would come out of a well designed bracket, wouldn't it?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby NZcaver » Feb 15, 2011 1:51 am

FYI downundercaver - not sure if this translation is needed, but zip ties = cable ties. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Stelios Zacharias » Feb 15, 2011 5:10 am

good old fashioned inner-tube is also good for this
Stelios Zacharias
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 15, 2011 6:55 am

Yes to what everyone said. FYI, those were dive lights they had on their helmets. I have to go retie my bungie for the right light on my helmet this morning. I'm using backup lights on the sides of my helmet, but they were using primaries. In cave diving, primaries have canister batteries that are attached to your dive harness. Usually they have a Goodman handle that you slip your hand in and the light rides above it. That gives you full motion with your fingies, and your light. It's better, generally to not have your light on your helmet cuz of the backscatter. But when surveying, or some other activities, you need to use both hands and have the light point at your hands, so it doesn't work to have the light on the back of your hands.

One of my lights uses a soft Goodman that has a plastic bracket that then has an elastic strap that goes around my hand. One of my buddies took the same plastic bracket and bolted it to the side of his helmet, and he mounts his primary there.
:scuba:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Cody JW » Feb 15, 2011 8:56 am

If you already have a lamp bracket mounted to your helmet you can simply take a hose clamp and a flat blade and mount the flat blade to the hand held light with the small hose clamp then bend the flat blade to the desired angle and slide the handheld in bracket. I now just keep an elastic headband that is made to hold a mini mag ( or similar) in my pack so if need be I can slide my fennix into this band and wear this under my ecrin, out of the way. This band is made by nite ize and is sold by campmor.com for about five bucks. Some cave vendors may also sell it. I always wear a small micro light around my neck on a lanyard so if my main goes out I will have enough light to make the change. Also like most cavers I mount a small LED on my ecrin for immediate use if my main goes out. I carry a 220 lumen fennix handheld and a mini mag with a LED insert in my pack, both will easily slide into this elastic band.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to Equipment Forum