NEW HELMET DESIGN CONCEPTS PLEASE HELP

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

NEW HELMET DESIGN CONCEPTS PLEASE HELP

Postby eskim90 » Feb 9, 2011 12:09 am

Hello, I am a design student at the University of CIncinnati and am doing a project on Caving helmets and i NEED YOUR HELP!!!
If I could take just a couple minutes of your time to take this survey I would really appreciate it.
I designed some concept helmets and I would like to know what you think, based on your experience of wearing a helmet when caving.

Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TDGDGYB

I really appreciate your time.
Thank You very much!!!

Here are some developement questions on the awesome concepts i've received already.

Also, would carrying clipped items on your helmet be annoying or would it be more useful? What kinds of items would you like to clip onto your helmet?

And if you had the two-tiered style slots to carry two headlights, would it be the same type of light or would the 2nd one be more of a secondary light.
Would you keep both on at the same time or use one and when it runs out, use the other. Would you mind the extra weight? Or is it worth it to have a second light on your helmet?

Who else would like a slip pocket for survey/maps inside the helmet? :)

Any other ideas?
Last edited by eskim90 on Feb 9, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eskim90
Infrequent Poster

Re: NEW HELMET DESIGN CONCEPTS PLEASE HELP

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 1:47 am

There is no image or anything I have no clue what you're designing other than "helmet"
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Feb 9, 2011 2:52 am

Sungura wrote:There is no image or anything I have no clue what you're designing other than "helmet"
^ This.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby KeyserSoze » Feb 9, 2011 5:53 pm

The flaps that "repel rocks" made me chuckle. If those flaps repel rocks then maybe I'll add some to my car bumper and hope that they repel cars. As for the chin strap, the "simple" knob strap adjustment does not look to be simple at all, in fact it looked to me like it is overly complicated. The SOS idea is interesting but I honestly don't see it as being practical or very much needed. If somebody becomes incapacitated from a blow to the head it's not going to require an automated light system for anybody to figure that out, I imagine that it would be pretty self evident that there is a problem when you hear somebody take a hit and they fall to the ground.

I hope the criticism is helpful.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby eskim90 » Feb 9, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello KeyserSoze, Yes your criticism was very helpful!!! Thank you very much! So you would not want protruding surfaces on your helmet to repel rocks or you would like them? More then flaps they are the same material as the helmet, probably ABS Plastic, Polycarbonate, or Carbon Fiber. Do you have any other ideas for solutions to problems you have with your helmet? And what problems would that be? Thank you!
eskim90
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 9, 2011 6:18 pm

I completed your survey. I also thought the "repels rocks" idea was comical. To the best of my experience (and imagination), I can see no practical value to this whatsoever for caving. The built-in light idea has a little more merit, but I doubt the vast majority of cavers will be interested. Most of us already like our headlamp choices, and it's not uncommon for cavers to spend more - sometime MUCH more - on a headlamp than on a helmet. I imagine trying to upgrade a built-in light would be a PITA.

But I will say I'm willing to keep an open mind about the microfiber chinstrap. I'd try that, if given the opportunity. Perhaps you should find some local cavers and ask them nicely to take you along on a trip some time. With gear design, there's no substitute for a little personal real-world insight.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 9, 2011 6:24 pm

eskim,

Flaps: nice idea gone bad. They might help deflect small dirt and other debris, however, cavers are often in tight confined spaces going backwards...the protruding edges would likely catch and snag in a reverse motion direction...that would be very very bad. for rockclimbers they would probably be fine.

Chinstrap: any moving part gets clogged with mud and grit. The side adjustment wheels on my 4 petzl helmets work...sorta...but years of mud,sand,grit, and scraping along rock hasn't helped them any and on many trips they need rinsed out before they will work at all. microfiber might be comfy...but it will probably stay wet and dirty longer, and possibly fray.

Lights: no built-in main light will likely suit a caver or keep up with technology and we bang our helmets on rocks very frequently. LED "running lights" would just be something to break or distract your caving buddies.

What I want:
a better fit. I liked the elios helmets foam for fit, but it was hot. same concept with thinner, better ventilated foam might be useful. It would be nice if you could customize the interior like the plugs of pull-out foam for high-end camera cases. Not that kind of foam but same idea...customize the interior fit.

Several small holes (pencil sized) to facilitate ventilation and for attachment of external lights and equipment. Something you can get a zip tie or small bolt through and have them scattered around the surface of the helmet.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 9, 2011 6:35 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Several small holes (pencil sized) to facilitate ventilation and for attachment of external lights and equipment. Something you can get a zip tie or small bolt through and have them scattered around the surface of the helmet.

I like the way you think! :clap: This gets my vote. Perhaps several pairs of short, narrow slot-style holes in the front and back to allow for mounting of different types of light heads and battery compartments?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby pub » Feb 9, 2011 6:39 pm

I suggest putting attachment clips for headlamps & maybe try a two-tiered style so two headlamps can be mounted...
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 7:36 pm

Ok images are up now I can see them.

I laughed at the "rapels rocks" but I do like improved ventilation.

One thing I have troubles with my helmet is side/side slipage no matter how I adjust it. Like this (for reference I have the Petzl Elia, but I have noticed the same issue and actually worse when I was borrowing a Petzl Erin Roc) and what would keep it straight is better sidestraps - maybe something coming down behind the ear across the back of the head and not just that little bit right at the back of the head (which does shit for me).

Something that I think would be a neat feature is a small "slip" pocket to keep a survey/map dry. I often see done in my groups/have done myself folded the 8.5x11 paper into quarters (so that'd be 2.12 x 2.25 inches) and throw it up in our helmet for easy access/so it doesn't get torn up in our bags, but if you have to climb down a waterfall, if you sweat, anything, it gets wet and hard to see and work with. I always end up ruining the map I had so I try and make a copy to ruin on the trip knowing I won't be able to use it again. If there were some really thin waterproof fabric to just make a little "sleeve" - yes it wouldn't be watertight and no zipper or snap or anything needed to hold it closed - just a sleeve - to help keep it from resting on my sweaty head or just soaking up the water dumped on it from the waterfall, I think that'd be awesome. I've tried putting it in a small ziplock baggie before but the zipper part of the bag is bothersome as it rubs over time. Which is why I say no sort of closure just a "sleeve" probably with the opening facing towards the front of the helmet as if you get water dumped on you, you look down or to the side generally to not get it full on in your face, so it would stay driest that way (at least, when I cut off the zipper part of the zippie bag and faced it that way, it seemed to work really well!)

I like the duo-light mounting ability too of the above poster.
Okay I'm done rambling now.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eskim90 » Feb 9, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you everyone for your insight. It has given me alot of great ideas and directions. If you have anymore input, I would appreciate anything and everything. Thanks again!!!
eskim90
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 9, 2011 11:33 pm

Sungura......

You can buy the rite n rain style printer paper. I have a laser printer, so once i print out a cave map or whatever, water doesn't much bother it. I have maps I printed out on the rite n rain paper that lasted several trips and I would drop them in mud, wad them in a ball, then rinse them in the stream to impress newbies :) ink-jets aren't as durable ink wise, but the paper holds up well even if the ink runs.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 9, 2011 11:38 pm

eskim,

another useful thing many cavers would like, would be a way to *easily* swap out the complete strap and headband set. LIke a quick release suspension system. My straps and headband pads are quite skanky and the lil foam replacement pads are never quite as good. I just cant see spending $70 dollars for a new helmet just for the straps.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eskim90 » Feb 9, 2011 11:45 pm

would anyone else like to offer any new ideas?? here are some developement questions on the awesome concepts i've received already.

Also, would carrying clipped items on your helmet be annoying or would it be more useful? What kinds of items would you like to clip onto your helmet?

And if you had the two-tiered style slots to carry two headlights, would it be the same type of light or would the 2nd one be more of a secondary light.
Would you keep both on at the same time or use one and when it runs out, use the other. Would you mind the extra weight? Or is it worth it to have a second light on your helmet?

Who else would like a slip pocket for survey/maps inside the helmet? :)
Last edited by eskim90 on Feb 9, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eskim90
Infrequent Poster

Postby eskim90 » Feb 9, 2011 11:48 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:eskim,

another useful thing many cavers would like, would be a way to *easily* swap out the complete strap and headband set. LIke a quick release suspension system. My straps and headband pads are quite skanky and the lil foam replacement pads are never quite as good. I just cant see spending $70 dollars for a new helmet just for the straps.

how long did it take for it to deteriorate like that?
eskim90
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum