Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10MP

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10MP

Postby jsniffin » Feb 8, 2011 1:23 pm

...Cave proof?

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMSTT6000Y

It says its Shockproof, waterproof and freezeproof.. but how about Cave proof?
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Re: Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 10MP

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 8, 2011 2:53 pm

jsniffin wrote:...Cave proof?

Maybe, but it takes terrible pictures. I bought this last year, used it on a couple trips, and was extremely disappointed with the results. I know a couple other people who have them and the general consensus seems to be that it is very cave-worthy in terms of build, but they have the same complaints on photo quality. I often use point and shoot cameras in caves without utilizing the on-board flash. I'll use my Sten on turbo for many shots. The Olympus seems to have very poor image stabilization capability compared to many other brands (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic). Photos are consistently out of focus and improperly exposed. I suspect the focus problems are a combination of poor image stabilization and incorrect function of the AF in low light. I returned my camera and went back to using my Canon in an Otter Box with much better results. I think when it comes to choosing a camera for cave photography the #1 requirement should be quality photos. Waterproofing, dust-proofing, impact resistance are definitely nice features, but don't make up for being a poor camera.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 8, 2011 3:03 pm

I cant speak for the 6000 but i ahve the 8010 and it works great both below and above ground. Also take great videos as well. It has survived numerous cave trips(i still protect it in a soft case), even being smashed in a car door. It's going along just fine, taking good pictures. Its options for actual control over the photo suck, so I use it for general photography. If im trying to run a longer shutter change focus etc i use my Canon. But the 8010 does what I need most of the time.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby KeyserSoze » Feb 8, 2011 4:20 pm

Indeed the Stylus Tough takes terrible photos, especially in the dark. You better be good with photoshop if you get that camera. And it's tough but it's also prone to being waterlogged because the latch can be opened if your not careful. Mine filled with water on a wet caving trip; it took a week or so for it to dry out and start working again. I had the Stylus 790 sw before that and took much better pictures underground, but I failed to heed the parameters of the underwater rating and it didn't dry out like the tough did.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby paul » Feb 9, 2011 7:26 am

Same here - after reading reviews which mostly said the current models aren't a patch on the older ones, I bought a second-hand Olympus "Tough" on eBay. I don't know what model it would be in the US because Olympus apply different names (Mju instead of Stylus) and model numbers in Europe (I'm in the UK).

The older models give very good results underground (and above ground). My partner Karen has been using an even older model and that too is very, very good. It even survived being left overnight by a bonfire accidentally a couple of years ago and except for a slightly melted plastic button LCD dcreen, it still works perfectly. She bought it because a guy in the local Cave Rescue team had a blown-up photo at a money-collecting event which looked of excellent qualty despite the massive enlargement. She asked which camera he was using and he produced one of these Olympuses...

I believe that Olympus have kept up with the "more Pixels = better" marketing hype at the expense of photo quality - hence the deterioration in quality of recent models. Go for an old model before the "6000" or "8000" designation - it'll be cheaper and be much better quality.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby Scoon1 » Feb 9, 2011 9:17 am

I use an Olympus Camedia C-5500 and it takes wonderful pictures. I put it in an Otter Box with some 2 inch webbing to sling it over my shoulder and across my chest.
I looked at the specs for the Tough and was impressed with them. Now that I've gotten this information, I won't be pursuing a purchase.

Thanks for saving me some cheddar!!!
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
Scoon1
Frequent Poster

Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 9, 2011 9:54 am

I think the point may have been missed.

Old Toughs = Terrible
New Toughs = Better

I have friends with all kinds of models of Toughs. The older ones are failing miserably and rightfully so. They have latch problems shutter problems and take crappy pictures.

Olympus designed the newer stylus to be a littler tougher (particularly the 8000 series), and where there used to be three latches for the various ports there is now just one single latch with two locking mechanisms, being it aint gunna open. I have sat on my camera, slammed it in a car door, dropped it down breakdown, gone cliff diving with it, even snorkeling, it has dents and dings all over it but hasnt cracked and no unexpected latch openings and still taking pictures.

So yes, what everyone is saying about the OLD Stylus Tough is true, and those should be avoided, but that does not mean the new Stylus Tough are crap.

Also, yes the Stylus Tough does suffer from degraded picture quality, HOWEVER any waterproof camera you buy from Olympus, Canon, whoever will suffer degradation, it is simply the nature of water proof cameras. With that being said though, I now use my 8010 as my main above ground camera because its small and fits easily in my pack. Also remember that crappy photos my not be 100% the cameras fault either, if you constantly take pictures in Auto mode, yea you are going to get some crappy shots. Try messing with the settings in P, it can make up for some of the cameras short comings, or in some cases make them worse.

Regarding in cave pictures, the flash on this thing sucks, however with a good headlamp you can easily record video or take pictures without much fuss. Heck, in cave I keep the flash off and leave it in P mode and just turn my light up brighter, snap a picture and move on.

In short, I LOVE my Stylus 8010. I've had friends purchase this camera for caving as well and they have been pleased as well.

And finally why the Stylus series is better than the other manufactures "tough" series. It has a lens cover. Simple concept, but all the other manufactures just have a plate of high impact glass over the lens and call it a day. Seems silly a few scratches and your camera is shot, meaning you have to now protect your tough camera. so much for being tough.

So your mileage will vary. Take all reviews, as with everything from the interwebs with a large grain of salt. Including this one. Just because two people got in quickly and said their old models suck doesn't mean they all suck.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 9, 2011 10:11 am

I have the Stylus 6020 14mp. Its just as good as the 8010 only a smaller internal memory.

It takes GREAT cave photos for a compact, if you know how to take them. water/shock proof you still need a pelican case to put it in else you will destroy the camera in the cave. dont make the mistake a friend did and just keep it in your pocket covered in mud. Yes it will work and be fine for a long time, but eventually the grime will destroy the camera if you arent careful
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 10:27 am

This is the first time I've heard of anyone liking these for cave photos. All I hear is they take horrible photos in the dark and to get anything good you really need natural sunlight.

I got a Nikon Coolpix and it works great. I just keep it protected in my pack. I take all my photos without a tripod or anything (then again I have a steady hand and know how to use my camera) some photo examples without anything other than the camera:

Hand-held 1.5 sec exposure lightpainting w/ my Cornona
Ogof Ffynnon Ddu - S. Wales by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Hand-held 1 sec exposure lightpainting w/my Corona
Ogof Ffynnon Ddu - S. Wales by Sunguramy, on Flickr

On-camera flash in a dry part of a cave
2-HowardsWaterfallCave43 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

On-camera flash
Anderson Spring Cave 24 by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Last edited by self-deleted_user on Feb 9, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 9, 2011 10:29 am

Chads93GT wrote:water/shock proof you still need a pelican case to put it in else you will destroy the camera in the cave. dont make the mistake a friend did and just keep it in your pocket covered in mud. Yes it will work and be fine for a long time, but eventually the grime will destroy the camera if you arent careful

Chad is right, when i first got mine I just kept it in my pocket. It holds up well to the abuse from that, but dirt not so much. I now keep it in an easily accessible case either on my person or in my pack. I also spray the camera down after every trip too, helps cut down on dirt sticking around (do this after contact with sea water too).
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 9, 2011 10:49 am

Takes a lot of practice and learning the settings, but it takes great photos. I have tons of them plastered all over my facebook page ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 11:03 am

Chads93GT wrote:Takes a lot of practice and learning the settings, but it takes great photos. I have tons of them plastered all over my facebook page ;)

Probably the truest thing about any camera. I could get great photos with the same camera a friend had problems getting good photos with - it's usually never just about the camera it's a lot of user too.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 9, 2011 1:08 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Takes a lot of practice and learning the settings, but it takes great photos. I have tons of them plastered all over my facebook page ;)

Exactly. Just because I have a DSLR doesnt mean every photo is going to turn out awesome, you have no how to actually use it (for this exact reason, i don't own a DSLR lol). But with patience and fiddling one can overcome the short comings of the Stylus. Like I said earlier, i use the Tough as my primary above ground camera now because I have been so pleased with it. Yes it has short comings (looking at you unadjustable shutter speed), but Im OK with that.

Honestly what really sold me on the Stylus 8010 was the 720p recording. The videos are awesome, even in low light.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 9, 2011 1:23 pm

Chad and Racer,

Would you be willing to explain some of the tricks for using your Stylus Tough underground? You seem to be the only two people that like this camera for caving.

I have one of these cameras. While I agree that it is indestructible, I can't seem to get good results with it in cave. I love it for canyoneering and kayaking and underwater shots. Anything with natural light comes out great. In contrast, every photo I take with it underground is grainy, underexposed, and is really susceptible to dust/water spots.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 9, 2011 2:21 pm

How exactly are you taking photos? ARe you usimng night mode and a side flash? are you using night mode and your headlamp to "paint"? Do you use a tripod to hold the camera still if you do painting? Le me know.

everyone i cave with in missouri uses this camera actually.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum