Very Low Profile Helmet Recommendation Needed

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Very Low Profile Helmet Recommendation Needed

Postby Bolster » Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm

I seek your help for a more humble type of caving...I must dive into crawlspaces and attics, and I'm finding it very unpleasant without the correct gear. In crawlspaces I go elbows and knees with 12" to 18" clearance, down for 4 hrs at a time, my worthless "bump cap" sliding all over, my headlamp sliding off the cap. I am looking for a very low profile helmet on which I can mount the light. I don't need serious padding because falling is not a risk...I just need the hard shell to keep the roof and floor nails out of my head, and enough padding to be comfortable, along with a chinstrap to keep the darned thing in place.

Can you please recommend a low profile helmet that will help me get the job done? The more it's like a "hard shell" for my head that sits very close to the skull, the better.
-----
Delmer O'Donnell Bolster...a bona fide soggy bottom boy.
Bolster
Infrequent Poster

Re: Very Low Profile Helmet Recommendation Needed

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 25, 2011 10:52 pm

wont find anything that sits flat on your skull, there just isn't any protection that way and no one makes them. There is always padding wether its a bike helmet, caving helmet, motorcycle helmet, etc. I use the ecrin roc by petzl. it has clips to mount a head lamp by the straps so it doesnt slip off. i also have the petzl elios and its lower profile and not as big as the ecirn rock but it has styrofoam padding, instead of suspended strap padding like the ecrin roc.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bolster » Jan 26, 2011 1:39 am

OK. So what are some low profile options, then, if a minimalist approach isn't possible? I don't mind having some padding. But thinner is better. Would you say the Elios is a low profile option?

When I search for "low profile helmet" the Black Diamond Halfdome keeps popping up...?
-----
Bolster
Infrequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Jan 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Well Bolster it sounds like your either a plumber or a HVAC guy. I know where your coming from. My recomend a petzel Elios is your best bet. It is very compfortable and sit the lowest on your head. It has light holders that will hold your headlight.

here's a link to karst sports

http://www.karstsports.com/peta42elclas.html

For the Elios $65

the combi helment is real close to the elios and is cheaper $49.95

http://www.karstsports.com/combihelmet.html

Both will work for what you are looking for to keep your knoogin safe in those nasty crawl spaces.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby Bolster » Jan 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Thank you! Much appreciated. If my wife tells me I'm doing HVAC, insulation, electrical, or plumbing...by gum, that's what my job is, until the problem's fixed.

With my noggin protected, now all I have to do is make friendly with the black widow spiders and I'm home free.

EDIT: Caveflower, I found the exact helmet you recommended at REI, bought it, very happy. Already threaded my Zebralight on it. This is great, thanks! Off to work I go!
-----
Bolster
Infrequent Poster

Postby caveflower » Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm

No probelm. Glad I could help. Have fun with the honey do list.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby ian mckenzie » Jan 29, 2011 12:25 pm

I'd just put an old glove under a ball cap and wear it backwards so the bill doesn't impair vision, then strap on the Apex overtop.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Return to Equipment Forum