Drop-in Module Headlamp Prototype

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Drop-in Module Headlamp Prototype

Postby E-man » Apr 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Can't find very good specs for the lower end of the drive current, but suffice to say that it will almost certainly be brighter on low than my current (Black Diamond Spot) is on high with new batteries
:woohoo:
I usually like to switch my light off or switch over to red LED's while stopped, so I might incorporate another complete circuit in the 2nd build to power a red emitter. Worst comes to worst and I can always use my backup for dim light while stopped. Guess I will just have to build it and see how bright this thing is. Besides, I am going to build several of these, so I can fine tune the design as I go along. If the thing is too damn bright for caving, I will just sell it to one of my mountain biking friends and they can go cream their pants.

I was hoping that my cheap optics would have some extraneous spill to help light up my feet, but we will see. 45 degrees might be too narrow for my flood, but the optics were super cheap, so it's not the end of the world if I don't use them. Might decide to go bare emitter or just use a simple cone-shaped reflector to eliminate wasted light with my flood. Also might go for different optics all together, but that stuff can come once I have a working circuit and can test out what I have.

I was actually thinking of a waterproof toggle switch for the first light, then investigate other options later. I'm not at all opposed to push buttons, but I think the toggle I have will actually be more waterproof.

Yeah, 3800mAh... ordered them off ebay via China, so the capacity is probably overstated, but for the price I paid, who cares. Nice thing is that a big 2P2S 7.4V "7600mAh" pack with protection is only going to cost me about $10 to make, so I can always make packs with better cells later.

At 3A, this thing is definitely going to blaze like the sun. I will try not to set any bats on fire :big grin:

If you can find somewhere that recycles electronics, they usually have an entire bin of heat-sinks you can dig through. You might find the housing you are looking for that only needs minor modifications. Once your design is working well, just use an epoxy potting compound to permanently waterproof all your electronics.

I hear you on the not having time. Been using that excuse for years. I'm even getting ready to build my own house (talk about DIY), but I figure this will make a good side project when I don't feel like digging or mixing concrete. If this thing works out, maybe we can collaborate on refining the design and making a few more... maybe. We will see if I still enjoy soldering when this is all over.

OK, to bed with me. I have a couple trees to cut down in the morning. I'll definitely let you all know once I have something built.

Peace, Eli
Eli Ren - 52671
E-man
Infrequent Poster

Name: Eli Ren
NSS #: 52671
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum