Looking for a very specific flashlight...

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for a very specific flashlight...

Postby Lava » Jan 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Gotta have these features:

- LED (duh)
- 100 lumens max or thereabouts
- Uses only one AA or one CR123A battery
- Can swap lens cap out for a red one
- Has a blink mode (not SOS as that's too slow and not strobe as that's too fast)

Can you think of anything off the top of your head?
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Re: Looking for a very specific flashlight...

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Closest that I know of is the Coleman Max. It has 137 lumens and runs on Double A batteries. I don't believe you can switch lens caps out though. I used this flashlight at Tumbling Rock Cave and it worked great!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Lava wrote:Gotta have these features:
- Can swap lens cap out for a red one

Gonna do some night caving and track bat blood are ya?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Admittedly, this is not for caving, it's for cycling. Don't bother suggesting bike lights, I'm set in my ways on this one... :laughing:

It appears the Coleman Max requires more than one AA battery. Keep 'em coming people, I know the solution is out there...
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jan 10, 2011 3:07 pm

I know it doesn't fit all of your requirements but the first thing I thought of was this. Out of stock on the manufacturers website but I'm pretty sure you could find it for sale elsewhere. They of course have non-red LED versions as well. Have you tried asking around on http://www.candlepowerforums.com?

100 lumens seems a little dim for cycling considering what's available. Is this some sort of puzzle you've set out for yourself? :tonguecheek:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Lava wrote:Admittedly, this is not for caving, it's for cycling. Don't bother suggesting bike lights, I'm set in my ways on this one... :laughing:

It appears the Coleman Max requires more than one AA battery. Keep 'em coming people, I know the solution is out there...

Its true. It takes 6 to make it happy. But its such an awesome flashlight! and it can be dropped from up to 9 ft
and not break. That is a feature that is dear to my heart!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Sierra Echo wrote:
Lava wrote:Admittedly, this is not for caving, it's for cycling. Don't bother suggesting bike lights, I'm set in my ways on this one... :laughing:

Its true. It takes 6 to make it happy. But its such an awesome flashlight! and it can be dropped from up to 9 ft

I tend to drift towards the "Bright light on the helmet" strategy. That eliminates the need for a hand held flashlight and worrying about dropping and breaking or tripping and smashing it as you fall. That's just me. I still don't see how people can move through caves without their hands free. Ive caved with guys who lug those huge hand held plastic flash lightts that carry those huge 6 volt batteries with the coils on them. I couldnt imagine caving with a maglight in hand.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Chads93GT wrote:
Sierra Echo wrote:

I tend to drift towards the "Bright light on the helmet" strategy. That eliminates the need for a hand held flashlight and worrying about dropping and breaking or tripping and smashing it as you fall. That's just me. I still don't see how people can move through caves without their hands free. Ive caved with guys who lug those huge hand held plastic flash lightts that carry those huge 6 volt batteries with the coils on them. I couldnt imagine caving with a maglight in hand.

My headlamp is only 75 lumens I believe. When I need my hands free I just shove the flashlight into my sports bra, kinda like a holster, and that way I still get benefit of its light! :grin:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 10, 2011 4:15 pm

have you checked the Fenix website to see if they have a flashlight like what you are looking for?

As for shoving the light in your bra, just buy a good bright head lamp and you will never even use that flashlight again. I cant even imagine caving with the dim lit lamp that I started out with. I tried the flash light method with it as well, then I figured I would just get a bright light ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Sounds to me like someone's looking for a cheap brake light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.942~page.1~pagesize.52~pagesort.relevence

Plenty of good single AA flashlights come up on this search (as well as some bad ones... personal research recommended), but none I saw have an interchangeable red lens. You may have to get creative with the red lens criteria if you want everything in one light, because I don't think you're going to find too many out there with exactly what you need. Have seen other lights with a red attachment to go over the head, but they aren't single battery. Good luck.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Lava » Jan 10, 2011 6:17 pm

rlboyce wrote:Sounds to me like someone's looking for a cheap brake light.

You got it. And I think I have it figured out thanks to your link to dealextreme. This:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36358

Plus this (it fits, I checked):

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Filter-Adap ... 003VTY2Q0/

Plus this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJXB5E/

And I'm good to go!
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Cool! Hope it works out for you.
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Man, I can't stop looking at everything on that dealextreme site! So... much... cheap... crap... must... not... buy....
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 10, 2011 7:12 pm

LOL, yeah... I'm semi-addicted myself. Have been eyeing a $30 Spiderfire SSC P7 for a very long time now. Runtime isn't great, but what are you expecting out of a single 18650 P7 flashlight? Huge spot, but when you compare it to a sten you realize it's just a massive spot. Would be nice to have this fella on standby in case I wanted to light up a room. Very small.

(http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=7428181&postcount=43)
Sten S7 premium on turbo:
Spiderfire on high:
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Chads93GT wrote:have you checked the Fenix website to see if they have a flashlight like what you are looking for?

As for shoving the light in your bra, just buy a good bright head lamp and you will never even use that flashlight again. I cant even imagine caving with the dim lit lamp that I started out with. I tried the flash light method with it as well, then I figured I would just get a bright light ;)

Holstering a flashlight between my boobs is more cost effective at the moment. The more I learn, the better equipement I will get. I'm not at the stage where I feel getting a really expensive headlamp makes sense. Does that make sense?
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum