spent batteries

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby David_Campen » Mar 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Still doesn't provide any cost-benefit analysis. Is the damage done to the environment by the process of recycling an alkaline battery less than the damage done to the environment by tossing the battery into a landfill?

The ultimate problem is that there are too many people in this country and the world. But this is getting into religion where I am certain to offend anyone who is not already mad at me, so I will say good night.
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Re: spent batteries

Postby NSS8921 » Aug 1, 2012 11:31 am

Reviving this topic. What is the best method for recycling lithium batteries? I have a bunch of AA Energizers and 123's, and eventually 18650's, too.
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tncaver » Aug 1, 2012 12:14 pm

Some counties will accept batteries for recycling at specific locations. Some may charge a fee while some may have a special
day once a year for recycling batteries, paints, etc. Maybe you can check your county recycling online or check waste management
for your county.

NSS8921 wrote:Reviving this topic. What is the best method for recycling lithium batteries? I have a bunch of AA Energizers and 123's, and eventually 18650's, too.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Aug 2, 2012 2:29 pm

I run my AAs in my camera first, then when I get the Lo Batt message I use them in my headlamp for tens of hours, then turf them. Many small towns recycle batteries at the landfill office or at the firehall, but I don't know what they do with them.

I use Alkalines because I travel alot with the camera, you can buy Alkalines anywhere in the world and there's no recharging/transformer hassles.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum