Wetsuit size question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Wetsuit size question

Postby Cody JW » Dec 6, 2010 7:42 pm

I recently purchased a shorty as I prefer shortys for most caving situations I am likely to get into.My problem is size that suppliers stock. I have found that with wetsuits and cave suits that if you have a large chest like me they (mfgrs.) assume you are about 8 feet tall. I recently had to get a 3X to go around my chest and as expected the crotch hangs almost to my knees and I have lots of extra room in the hips. I am 5 foot 9 48 chest 36 waist.I know in the past some brands offer custom on full wetsuits but have not seen any for shortys. There is currently lots of exciting wet exploration going on in Indiana (Binkleys- Blowing Hole) that I would like to help on but a wetsuit is needed for most trips. Any one else out there had to address the same problem or have any suggestions ? I have gone to more websites than I care to recall and keep seeing the same size options. I full suit is not an option for me-too restrictive.I would rather be cooler and have more movement than warm with no movement. Also most wetsuit caves I have seen you are not constantly in the water, you are in water then going up breakdown and heating up in an upper level then back in water again.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Re: Wetsuit size question

Postby Mudduck » Dec 6, 2010 7:51 pm

My family uses farmer johns/ janes style. I dont remember the brand off hand but purchased them from REI. It took a couple trips with my wife as shes heavy up top and short so it was difficult to find one that fit perfect(hangy in the crotch) . I'm a shade over 6'2" and chesty (not in the same way as my wife :grin: ) with a 3x and have a little more crotch hanging than I'd like. With all that being said I'd find as local REi as they have a 100% guarantee so you don't have a problem taking it back if you have functional size issues. (no i don't work for or own stock in REI)
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Re: Wetsuit size question

Postby Buford » Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

As a last-ditch solution, buy a custom-made long wetsuit and cut off the legs (and arms) to length.
Buford
Frequent Poster

Name: Buford Pruitt
NSS #: 17920
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society + Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum