Petzl Pixa

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl Pixa

Postby Kuzgun » Nov 2, 2010 6:52 am

Petzl build a new headlamp for Pro Use ( not for caving... ) They said they will put it on their page today but you can find details in Petzl Pro 2011 Catalog right now. waiting for a new headlamp like waterproof cheap Ultra for caving

Page says 2010 but its 2011 catalog

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/catalog
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Re: Petzl Pixa

Postby Kuzgun » Nov 2, 2010 10:55 am

"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby Tenzin Beck » Nov 2, 2010 2:38 pm

The simultaneous flood and spot could be an interesting feature on the Pixa 3. Not as bright as I'd like for a primary, but a 2xAA light may serve me great for a backup, if the price is right.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Nov 2, 2010 3:03 pm

It is not crazy bright, but it looks very well designed and likely to survive the torments that cavers would put it through.

As said before, would be a great backup
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby anthonytsi » Nov 2, 2010 3:40 pm

50 lumens seems fine to me. Thats what I cave with and it works for me. No one needs a stadium light attached to their foreheads. These lamps seem like a cavers dream from Petzl being smashproof and waterproof and I love the big selector on the side. There will soon be threads on how to improve these lights with more lumens. I think this is very promising however we need to know a price. If its over $60 I think i'll pass.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Nov 3, 2010 12:54 am

Under $40 and I'll buy.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby potholer » Nov 3, 2010 10:02 am

Looks like it could be interesting for a backup light or general rugged outdoor light.

I'm curious about the lumen output/runtime figures
30lm/12hr (flood)
40lm/6hr (mix)
50lm/3hr (spot)

I'd guess that's partly down to having figures based (presumably) on alkalines, but even then, a >2x difference in total energy output at only a ~60% increase in power does seem a bit high.
Maybe it's also down to having a conservative cutoff point for the reserve-lighting mode (which would seem like a fairly good idea for backup usage)?
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavedad » Nov 3, 2010 11:50 am

Petzl website says these puppies are rated for Class I, Group C & D environments, which are potentially explosive atmospheres containing ethyl ether, gasoline, propane and others. Only Group A (acetylene) and Group B (hydrogen) are more hazardous. That's gonna push the price point beyond the "backup light" budget.
cavedad
Occasional Poster

Name: John Meeks
NSS #: 59348
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston

Postby hank moon » Dec 7, 2010 2:47 pm

I played around with all models (indoors) over the weekend and they seem to be well-suited to caving. Could be a primary for some, but for these old eyes, more like a backup. The blade mount for the new industrial helmets is ok, but might not be sufficiently secure for caving - YMMV. Love the switch lock/lens protect position.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby anthonytsi » Dec 7, 2010 8:00 pm

Cool. When are they to go on sale and what's the price? Excited !! :bananabat: :banana: :banana_yay: :woohoo:
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby hank moon » Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am

anthonytsi wrote:Cool. When are they to go on sale and what's the price? Excited !!

Pixa 1 MSRP 36.95
Pixa 2 MSRP 59.95
Pixa 3 MSRP 74.95

the 1 will likely be of most interest to cavers as it has a wide flood beam and nice price. available early spring.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby anthonytsi » Mar 12, 2011 6:47 am

Looks like not enough bang for my buck on this one. I think I'll pass. There are brighter ones out there with longer run times that cost less and are still waterproof. A more efficient led is the trick. I can buy an led for $10 and modify my eos to get double the lumens with same or better run times.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Petzl Pixa

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I was letting others in the SAR unit know about these lights, thinking they were brand new, but...one guy looked 'em up on Amazon and this is what he found: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=16&y=19 :banana_yay: Soooo...if you're interested in these, especially the three lamp jobbie, getting the Pixa 3 for $52.50 seems like the way to go; and Pixa 2 for $42; and, the lowly Pixa 1 goes for $30. :shrug:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby anthonytsi » Mar 18, 2011 9:44 pm

WOW! Thanks for that link. That price is way better. I would buy it at that price and then modify the lamp for more lumens.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Mar 30, 2011 8:52 am

Although I need another headlamp like I need a hole in my head, one of these is at the top of my list right now.

Because it is sealed for hazmat environments and that is what makes it so desirable as a durable waterproof lamp, I would hesitate to open it up to modify it and lose perhaps the best feature of this lamp.

EDIT: I broke down a bought one, got the pixa 3. Should be here on Monday
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum