UV Light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

UV Light

Postby Kuzgun » Oct 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi, here is anyone using an UV light for analysing the minerals in caves? I need an information about this method. Can i use a cheap UV light bought from eBay for this method ? How much nm wavelength it must be ?
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Re: UV Light

Postby Lava » Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm

A couple of years ago I looked into wide-band UV LEDs for a UV mineral display case. At the time the only ones that existed were very narrow-band and were extremely expensive. Now I see UV LED flashlights wherever IDs are checked, and they are cheap, but most of those are also quite narrow-band. With a narrow-band light, you might get one type of rock to fluoresce but you'd miss others. If you're only looking for one species, you could find a light with LEDs of a specific wavelength matching the excitation wavelength of the rock. But if you just want to walk through a cave and look for UV response, you'll need a small hand held long/short wave bulb-based UV light like this one:

http://www.blacklightshop.com/shop/view ... roductid=9

But this is not the kind of light that you can use to illuminate rocks across the room; you have to get within about 12 inches to really get a good glow going. If you want one that's going to illuminate from across the room, you'll end up spending a ton of cash.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Kuzgun » Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Thank you Lava, im just trying to learn something about this for my personal interest not for searching specific mineral. I wanna see the earth from another side
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby Caverdale » Nov 28, 2010 5:52 pm

I don't know the band width or the distance range, but the latest Forestry Suppliers, Inc Catalog has a 51-LED UV Flashlight for $66.95. Catalog number: 02220. Takes 3 AA cells. "This compact light features simple, rugged circuitry and a visible light reduction filter". It doesn't say but it appears to come in an aluminum housing. Comes with a Nylon belt holster. Dimensions: 6.5" x 2.5" x 2.5". I've been thinking of getting one myself.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum