Non-cotton underwear?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Non-cotton underwear?

Postby Tenzin Beck » Oct 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Nobody likes cotton. My question is fairly straightforward: what kind of underwear (as in crotch) is available that isn't made of water-disastrous cotton?
Personally, I wear a tight polyester base layer while caving, with cotton boxer briefs underneath. I'd like to pick up some synthetic boxer briefs for wetter caves than we have in NM, but have failed to see any around. Recommendations? What do the folks here use?
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Re: Non-cotton underwear?

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 21, 2010 11:12 pm

I just went to Khols and looked in the underwear department until I found cute "boyshorts" that were non-cotton. They're cute too, and coordinate with my outer clothing as is told by anyone behind me in long crawls that start to tug the pants down haha.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 22, 2010 1:16 am

Underarmour sells 100% poly underwear, i have..........5 pairs, there are also other brands you will find at outdoor shops such as REI, etc, that back country hikers use. I have 4 pairs of those. I don't wear cotton, ever. the only downsize is they are about $20-25 per pair. Ive never gone on a caving trip with cotton undies, that would suck, hehe.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ArCaver » Oct 22, 2010 5:59 am

Most military surplus stores have a couple of grades of polypro underwear at reasonable prices. I have about a dozen pair, some are a real nice heavyweight poly that's fleeced inside. I've also found some great deals on 65/35 poly/cotton blend t-shirts at the surplus stores. Yet I still wear cotton unless I will be submerged in water, it's just more comfortable.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 22, 2010 6:12 am

They cost$ $ but Patagonia makes nice capilene boxers. One year someone gave me a pair with squirrels on them. Also, Winter Silks sell silk (go figure) undies. Women are perhaps luckier that Target sells nylon undies.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am

REI sells their own brand of poly boxers and briefs for somewhat reasonable price (It think around $12). I have friends that use the Ex Officio boxers which are a little more expensive but are a bit more suited for extended wear.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 22, 2010 7:11 am

I have found that with synthetic undies, you get what you pay for. Cheap ones either have obnoxious, distracting, pokey seams or simply fall apart. I am currently (when caving, not right now) using Patagonia boxer briefs. They are quite stimulating comfortable.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby mabercrombie » Oct 22, 2010 8:37 am

You wear underwear beneath your Polypro's?
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby LukeM » Oct 22, 2010 9:11 am

mabercrombie wrote:You wear underwear beneath your Polypro's?

Seconded. Isn't long underwear another term for thermals? I do tend to wear something between myself and a wetsuit in that region though. Sometimes neoprene can make for...discomfort.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 22, 2010 9:40 am

And thirded.

I misread the OP. For polypro leggings/long underwear, I just wear that. Wearing boxers or what not under tight polypro bottoms is definitely uncomfortable. When not wearing long underwear i opt for the REI and Patagonia boxers.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846

Postby MUD » Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am

:big grin: Since I don't wear them above ground, I certainly don't wear them underground!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby caverdan » Oct 22, 2010 11:26 am

Cavemud wrote::big grin: Since I don't wear them above ground, I certainly don't wear them underground!

Too much information there Muddy..... :down: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote: Women are perhaps luckier that Target sells nylon undies.
Luckier with undies maybe, but not the bras! Seriously, it took me weeks to find a non-cotton sports bra that would even /fit/ me. Then it took longer to find ones I could AFFORD. Because I'm not spending $80 on a bra for caving! So sorry I am a freakin' 36E! I still ended up spending $40 on a bra though. Dang. I mean. that's just insane. But what else is a girl to do? It actually doesn't fit exactly right, it's a bit smushy, but oh well, it holds the girls from bouncing all over the damn place and it's not cotton so I don't freeze when I get wet and there is no underwire but it still supports enough (underwires are a BAD idea in caves especially in crawlyspaces...just fyi >_<)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Oct 22, 2010 4:33 pm

caverdan wrote:
Cavemud wrote::big grin: Since I don't wear them above ground, I certainly don't wear them underground!

Too much information there Muddy..... :down: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

:laughing: They're not so kind when they bind! :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby mgmills » Oct 22, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm confused? Is the original poster wanting underwear to wear under long un ar (polypro or alternative)/ Seems a bit redundant to wear underwear under your underwear.

Most of the folks I cave with (male or female) don't wear anything under their long underwear. If the cave is dry enough you don't need to wear polypro pro (or alternative) I'd say just wear cotton or whatever you usually wear (or don't wear) under your cave suit or caving pants.

BTW- I know a lot of guys who never (or rarely) wear underwear . . . on the other hand I know very few women who don't wear panties.

Word to women. . . don't wear a cotton jog bra under your poly top. . . it will make you cold. Either spend the money on a wicking fabric jog bra or go braless.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864

Next

Return to Equipment Forum