Non-cotton underwear?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Non-cotton underwear?

Postby Jon » Jan 4, 2011 9:57 pm

And if those bike shorts have the padding in them you get more space in your pack from not carrying a pee bottle.........sorry I couldn't resist :tonguecheek:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby trogman » Jan 7, 2011 1:17 pm

I wanted to put in another vote for the military polypro long johns. I bought some at a yard sale years ago, and they are great for cold weather ridgewalking as well as wet caving. I think I paid a buck for each piece. In drier caves and warmer weather they are too hot, though.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 5:47 am

I don't wear underwear while caving, just pull-up diapers.

j/k. I wear microfiber high rise underwear so it doesn't roll under my fat shelf/flotation device :big grin: . I do wear the diapers if there will be a lot of crawling, though, just in case. I'd hate to be in a long belly crawl, suddenly have to pee, then have to crawl around with my own urine all over my caving clothes. Yuck. BTDT.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm

commanderzoom wrote:I wear microfiber high rise underwear so it doesn't roll under my fat shelf/flotation device . I do wear the diapers if there will be a lot of crawling, though, just in case. I'd hate to be in a long belly crawl, suddenly have to pee, then have to crawl around with my own urine all over my caving clothes. Yuck. BTDT.

WTF? :shrug:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:
commanderzoom wrote:I wear microfiber high rise underwear so it doesn't roll under my fat shelf/flotation device . I do wear the diapers if there will be a lot of crawling, though, just in case. I'd hate to be in a long belly crawl, suddenly have to pee, then have to crawl around with my own urine all over my caving clothes. Yuck. BTDT.

WTF? :shrug:

Sometimes my brain to mouth/fingers filter doesn't work. That would be one of those times :shrug: . It's not the worst weirdness I've spewed on Cavechat.

Do other people not wear diapers sometimes while caving if they'll be in a position that keeps them from being able to pee in a normal position? Oh geez. THAT's kind of embarrassing.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I can hold it long enough to at least get to where I can use my pee bottle.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 26, 2011 1:59 pm

LOL I've always been able to make it to a spot I can urinate relatively normally. I still gotta get the "peeing standing up" trick (yes, women can pee standing up just like the guys can) Damn I wish I had been taught it growing up camping because then it'd be easier now! I don't have enough accuracy yet to want to attempt it in a cave yet though.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Haven't heard of people caving in diapers before, but whatever works I guess.

Personally I almost never need to pee during a cave trip of 8 hours or less. I try to plan it that way and not hydrate any more than I need to while in a cave.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Ok, I'm gonna clear this up with a little more TMI. Sometimes I CAN'T hold it if the urge hits in the middle of a long crawl because I have on overactive bladder. I can drink nothing at all & still have to go sometimes. I used to be on meds that helped a little but they're way too expensive so I'm not on them anymore.

Amy, you should get one of these bad boys:

I have a couple & love them. They do have a slight learning curve but they're much better than dropping your pants in front of a group of people.
http://www.combattactical.com/shewee-p-20120.html
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah I know about those, I think they're kinda gross...lol. And then I have to remember to bring it with me, and then it gets all messy...yuck.
I use the finger method instead, I find it way easier and way less messy...oh gosh no spoiler tags here don't read tiny text if you don't want to know!
You can do it just by unzipping pants and moving undies to the side, make a V shape with your pointer and middle finger slid between the labia minora pulling it open so nothing dribbles, push your hips forward some and pull upwards with your "V" fingers. Don't let the urine just "fall" out, push with your muscles throughout to keep a steady stream so no dribbles happen. Good to go! Just like the guys :D

Like I said, I can do it, but my aim is crappy and I'm not the greatest at it yet.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Does anybody else remember the NSS Convention where a group was "almost" struck by lightning? Was it Morgantown?

Anyway, one of the girls was wearing nylon underware (bottoms) and they MELTED !!!

At the Emergency Room, the doctors had to remove them by "shaving" off the melted nylon with a scalpel.

Of course, underground, you are not too likely to get hit by lightning !!!

They called her up on stage at the Awards Ceremony and gave her a giant pair of panties with "I Got My Ass Burned At the 19?? NSS Convention" written on them.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 26, 2011 11:28 pm

lol that is amazing. I would wear those panties with pride!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Larry E. Matthews wrote:Does anybody else remember the NSS Convention where a group was "almost" struck by lightning? Was it Morgantown?

Anyway, one of the girls was wearing nylon underware (bottoms) and they MELTED !!!

At the Emergency Room, the doctors had to remove them by "shaving" off the melted nylon with a scalpel.

Of course, underground, you are not too likely to get hit by lightning !!!

They called her up on stage at the Awards Ceremony and gave her a giant pair of panties with "I Got My Ass Burned At the 19?? NSS Convention" written on them.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

I remember hearing about it but I wasn't there. Wish I had been :rofl: . Wasn't it Jane Fisher that it happened to?
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 27, 2011 4:25 am

Amy, did that PM I sent you a little while ago go through? I wanted to discuss the SheWee along with a couple other things a little more but decided it would be better off in PM form than right there for the whole caving community to see.

I realize it's like 3am & you're probably not awake right now so I'm not expecting an immediate answer or anything.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mugger » Feb 3, 2011 1:29 pm

I use Under Armour boxer briefs (85% nylon/15%elastane). They're comfortable, dry easy and keep everything in place.
Mugger
Occasional Poster

Name: Hans
NSS #: 61554
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shasta Area Grotto

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum