Pack Review - a nice cheap waterproof one!

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Pack Review - a nice cheap waterproof one!

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey ya'all!

So I have been looking for a cave pack to use. I've not liked many...I want it to be water resistant/waterproof, durable, not crazy expensive (ie. <$50) and the straps to be more like a "normal" backpack as so many packs I've seen the straps at the top are through the same loop/carabener/whatever at the top so for me, it cuts into my neck and makes it painfully uncomfortable to wear.

After a lot of searching I found this on a UK site: Exped Drypack Pro 15 (they come in larger sizes than 15L too). Of course, I will cut the bungie off, but my impressions on pulling it out of the box:
Image Image

GOOD:
Ultra lightweight - 250g
Durable looking - I doubt I could tear/rip/poke a hole in it unless I was cutting it with a sharp blade (kid safety scissors won't cut it)
Definitely waterproof - submerged in the tub it didn't leak at least
Comfortable - the straps are more like that of a normal backpack, and it has a around the waist strap too
5 yr warranty on it's use - it says right in the tag it's meant to be beaten up so all the construction is under 5 yr warranty so that gives me additional hope
I like that there is a loop inside to hook on something you don't want to fall to the bottom
I like the clear-ish strip - will make digging inside it easier since you can see what you want to get at
I can fit in 2x 1L waterbottles, snacks, small camera, shirt & pants, extra batteries just fine, snug but it works (and like I said, they make a larger size too if you want)
BEST OF ALL: Even though it's shipping to the US, it is only $40 inc. shipping!!!

BAD:
Bungie cord thing on it, but easily cut off

I've not gotten a chance to test it yet (will have it with me at the TAG cavein so I can try it out then!) I'll post back when I have, but I just thought I would point out this lovely little sack from our friends across the pond! I was told to get this http://www.swaygogear.com/pushpack.htm or this http://www.rei.com/product/778466 but there was stuff I didn't like about either (the first hurts my neck to wear, the second isn't water resistant at all) but this bag I found seems to have everything I want - and at a much better price! :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Pack Review - a nice cheap waterproof one!

Postby NZcaver » Sep 27, 2010 2:28 pm

That's a reasonable looking pack, but I don't know how well it will hold up to being dragged around in a cave. Years ago I caved with a large PVC dry bag with pack straps, until I killed it. I still use smaller lightweight dry bags to compartmentalize inside my caving pack. I predict that you will be happy using this pack for a while, and then you'll want to trade up to something like a Swaygo (because they're bombproof and you see lots of your caving friends using them). :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Amy,

That is the first I've heard of a problem with a Swaygo Pack's straps hurting the neck. Perhaps something is wrong with your neck. :tonguecheek: Just kidding. Anyway, sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe you were wearing it too high?

Exped makes great gear and this pack may work well for you. However, be very careful with how you pack it. You should need to line the inside of the pack with some sort of padding. Anything hard (waterbottle, camera case, etc) pushing on the material, from the inside, will create a wear point. The nylon taffeta material will not last long when that spot rubs against the cave. You can wrap your extra clothes around your stuff in addition to a layer of padding. Also, not stuffing it full, so the material is not stretched or stressed, will help.

Good luck, let us know how it works.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Okee I will be nice to the inside of the pack too :) I think it'll do for me for a while. LIke I said, I shall report back with how well it does on a real trip and not at home testing.

Haha Scott...hey Swaygo gear is in your sig, do you make it? :kewl: and yeah sorry because of how the top of the arm straps are together like that, it hurts my neck - I've found that with every pack that is designed that way. If you split it up, then I'd buy one ;)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 27, 2010 3:34 pm

Perhaps the straps on the Swaygo you tried were adjusted too tight for your body size?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Phil Winkler » Sep 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Amy, although I've never used a Swaygo pack it appears from their photos online http://www.swaygogear.com/pushpack.htm that the straps are nowhere near the neck. These packs have an excellent reputation.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Shouldn't be - I tried various adjustments - that is what my friend and I kept thinking that it just wasn't adjusted right. But no adjustment we tried worked. Some were better than others, but none were comfortable enough over any distance. And for me, neck pain and uncomfortableness/tightness often leads to a migraine so it's just not something I'm willing to mess with inside a cave. Had a migraine inside a cave once - Tumbling Rock - 3 hours into the trip it started. It was NOT fun getting back out barely knowing what way was up. >_< Luckily I had good people with me - going ahead for easiest path, with me to tell me where to put my feet (I couldn't make out a damn thing), and of course behind me so I wasn't last/could help support/catch if I fell or slipped. Not something I ever want to repeat again, EVER.

ninja preview edit: Well, it was somehow making my neck sore. I should know, I tried it! Guess I'm just weird. Like I said, it's not just the Swaygo, it's every pack designed with the top of the arm straps in the same loop.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

Amy, this may not be for you, but I switched out the swago straps for a single longer (and wider) one I had from an old OnRope pack. I now carry like a satchel case. is much more comfortable for me. I carry it either loose when walking, or if doing a lot of crawling I will cinch it up and just unclip the strap to remove the pack. Otherwise I'll be happy to buy your swago if you don't want it :)

Phil,the pack actually does ride in the groove of the neck much of the time, and the straps are fairly narrow. Also, there are 4 inches of difference between the large and small packs. While the top hole is constant, the width of the sides does change the strap angle.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

Sungura wrote:Okee I will be nice to the inside of the pack too :) I think it'll do for me for a while. LIke I said, I shall report back with how well it does on a real trip and not at home testing.

Haha Scott...hey Swaygo gear is in your sig, do you make it? :kewl: and yeah sorry because of how the top of the arm straps are together like that, it hurts my neck - I've found that with every pack that is designed that way. If you split it up, then I'd buy one ;)

Im guessing this is what you were talking about.

If the top of the straps do not come together at a point, then the back pack straps will simply falll off your shoulders every other step. To see what I mean, try wearing the swaygo upside down, with the opening at the top. You will be constantly reslinging it over your shoulders as it will be falling off every other step. This is why all backpacks, and i mean all backpacks, have the straps much more narrow up top, than at the bottom. If you buy a lost creek pack and use the outside buckles for the strap attachment with a back pack, it will be falling off every step. however, when you move the shoulder straps to the central buckle attachment point, the straps no longer fall off your shoulders.

If this style of pack hurts your shoulders, then you need a lost creek style pack (the TAG pack) that you can sling over one shoulder and around your hip. This gives you the benefit of wearing it up front, on the side, or slung around the back, depending on the type of passage you are negotiating. Lost Creek/On Rope packs come with straps made of 2" webbing as well so they dont "cut" into your shoulders as much.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 27, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah that and the post 2 above yours.

The pack I got has about 4 inches of space between the shoulder straps. It does not fall off at all, and it does not hurt my neck at all. All I'd like to do to the Swaygo is a similar mod - instead of one center hole, give it just a tiny bit of space. Maybe my body style is way different from you guys and so it just stays on while it won't for you or something. I dunno. Yes, wearing it upside down gives too much distance and it'll fall off. Doesn't need it to be that wide though. Just give my neck a tad of breathing/letting the blood flow without being cut off room! heh.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby harrym » Jan 30, 2011 3:42 am

I bought a simple vinyl dry bag that I put inside of my regular cave pack. All of my stuff stays dry, and the vinyl bag is protected by the cordura cave pack.
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 30, 2011 10:45 am

Hear, hear. Buy a 10L SealLine Baja drybag, they're bomb-proof. At that point, it won't matter if your cave pack is waterproof or not. GGG and On Rope 1 make plenty of inexpensive, good-quality options. I've never had much luck with "waterproof" cave packs remaining that way anyway.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Cody JW » Jan 30, 2011 12:22 pm

I have one word for anyone with a "waterproof" pack-Aqua-Seal. Better get some if you actually decide to take one in a cave. Also keep in mind the upside down orientation of the design ( why I have no idea). Do not put anything in that you do not want all over the cave, I speak from experience. I would put some kind of draw string assembly like a lost creek so that if it comes undone, you do not lose your stuff. I will stick with Lost Creek or OR1 packs and use small watertight containers for what I want dry.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby NZcaver » Jan 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Cody JW wrote:I have one word for anyone with a "waterproof" pack-Aqua-Seal. Better get some if you actually decide to take one in a cave. Also keep in mind the upside down orientation of the design ( why I have no idea).

Are you referring to the Swaygo packs? If so, why the need for AquaSeal? I use that stuff frequently, but haven't yet needed it for my Swaygo Sink pack. I've used and abused it quite a lot over the last couple of years, although admittedly I still use my Lost Creek for warmer/drier caves and lava tubes etc. Before I got the Swaygo, I often used the LC pack with a Baja dry bag in it. But I like the shape of the Swaygo better - it's comfortable, and it slides well.

As for the upside-down orientation - you really have no idea why the Swaygo was designed like that? It's simple ergonomics. For most people it contours very well to the back, and in my opinion the design was a stroke of genius. Learning to pack it upside-down and secure it properly shouldn't be too big a mental leap for the average caver. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Cody JW » Jan 31, 2011 8:11 am

All I can say is I used Lost Creek for 30 years and never dumped anything in all kinds of conditions ,was not long with the other kind I was searching for my stuff all over the cave. As far as aqua seal goes I have friends here that use Swaygo packs and they have LOTS of aqua seal or similar repair, maybe it is just Indiana caves?? One guys pack looks like it was shot by a machine gun with so many repairs.I would put the ability of the pack to keep things inside above "ergonomic" design.BUT if you are built like me there is nothing low profile, At 5 foot 9 220 I am HIGH profile no matter what. That design may help a skinny guy keep from removing his pack in a crawl , for me it would not help. To each is own, I would trust one about as far as I could throw it if it were full of lead. Also I like the idea of pockets, both inside and out. The OR1 outside rack pocket especially.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Next

Return to Equipment Forum