Super cheap flashlights

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Super cheap flashlights

Postby rlboyce » Sep 9, 2010 12:48 pm

(http://bestofferbuy.com/NF-06-1W-80-Lumen-LED-Flashlight-with-Strap-(3*AAA)-p-53099.html?currency=USD&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase)

I came across this 80 lumen flashlight for $3.60 including shipping, and it got me thinking... is there anything else that puts out this much light or more for the same price or less? I understand that comparing the quality of this to Zebralight would be like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette, but at $3.60 it seems worth trying. Heck, at that price you could have some fun by ripping out the components and making something better.

The website is kind of nice too, because in the product pictures it shows the light pattern for all the flashlights.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: Super cheap flashlights

Postby Marduke » Sep 9, 2010 1:28 pm

That's a Super CRAPPY light. If you take that into a cave, you deserve any Darwin Award you receive.

I would put that light firmly in the "spelunker light" category.

And yes, there are lights which offer better lumens/dollar (remembering that light is no where close to the 80 lumens advertised).
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Sep 9, 2010 2:12 pm

That's a Super CRAPPY light.

LOL, indeed it is! If I could've thought of something worse than a Pinto, I would have used that for comparison instead.

I don't know if taking this into a cave as a backup to the backup of the backup to the backup puts you on par with a Homo habilis or the nefarious spelunker that we all fear being classified as, but using it as your primary light source certainly would classify you as such.

Again, I'm just commenting on the surpising luminous flux for the money, and wondering just how well those supposed 80 lumens would light up a passage.

Could you give some specific examples of the lights with a superior lumen to dollar ratio? I'm sure they would be equally craptastic, but I'm not above wasting $4 if it's small enough to fit in a side pouch or has decent enough components to maybe experiment and make something better. Thanks!
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Sep 9, 2010 2:39 pm

You would be lucky to get 30 lumens out of that, with 80 being purely imaginary. 3xAAA direct drive for a power LED is also the worst possibly power source next to coin/button cells.

You can go to Deal Extreme and for $10-15 get a 1xAA light power by a "real" emitter (Cree XR-E or better) that might even reach tripple digits for brightness. The Ultrafire C3, Akoray K-106, Saik SA-105, or Romisen RC-G2 would all be MUCH MUCH better choices.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Sep 9, 2010 4:38 pm

That's exactly the type of recommendation I was looking for. Thanks! :kewl:
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mark620 » Sep 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I would have to agree BUT it looks no different than some of the offerings from Energizer that I have seen. :laughing:

Marduke wrote:That's a Super CRAPPY light. If you take that into a cave, you deserve any Darwin Award you receive.

I would put that light firmly in the "spelunker light" category..
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby rlboyce » Sep 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Whoa there! You better be careful, I know there are some die-hard energizer fans on here who might resent that! :laughing:
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Mark620 wrote:I would have to agree BUT it looks no different than some of the offerings from Energizer that I have seen. :laughing:

Trust me, it's MUCH worse...
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum