Old Rope

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Rope

Postby TomJewell » Feb 20, 2006 11:54 am

I used to cave in the 1980s and I'm just getting back into it. It still have most my gear and I'm trying to decide what to do with my ropes.

I have 2 ropes, 150' each of static (BlueWater II I think) and dynamic. I have visually inspectected each one and they have no signs of wear or damage. They have been stored in a cool dry place. The dynamic rope I used for top roping and it has never taken a leader fall, the static rope was used mostly as a handline, and only on a couple of vertical trips.

Should I:
1) Burn them, cut them, or otherwise destroy them
2) Use each for limited load applications (top roping and hand lines). This is my current plan.
3) Treat them as if they were good as new. (This seems foolish.)

Thoughts?

Tom Jewell
TomJewell
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Feb 20, 2006 2:10 pm

There are plenty of instances where 20+ year old BlueWater continues in service; the stuff is generally considered indestructible. However, nylon deteriorates with age regardless of usage or storage, but as I recall the rate of deterioration 'flattens out' after a few years.

Unless you have lots of money, Id say just continue to use the BW. Caving rope should always be used cautiously regardless of age.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Return to Equipment Forum