Scurion Is At It Again

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Scurion Is At It Again

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 16, 2010 8:17 am

Scurion now sells a 1300 Lumen headlamp. They also seem to have bumped up all the other models as well by replacing the older LEDs with new LEDs. They now have lights with the following lumens: 700, 900, 1000 and 1300.

You can also buy in the US from Emily at Speleobooks.

I have last year's P7 model which is 700 lumens and I love it.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Scurion Is At It Again

Postby jharman2 » Jun 16, 2010 11:01 am

I'm a light nut, but I have to question the necessity of a 1300 lumen cave light. Safety is also a concern with that much output. One swipe across your buddies retinas with that thing on high and he is instantly blind for several seconds to a minute.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby NZcaver » Jun 16, 2010 11:35 am

Makes a great photo/video light, especially in borehole passages.

I been caving a couple of times with people using Scurions. Can't justify one for myself, but I had no problems using their headlamp for lighting some of my photos.

They're not cheap.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby JR-Orion » Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Wow, I'm trying to imagine what that much light would look like. The only light I've ever used is my Duo 14, which maxes out at 67 lumens. 98% of the time I run it in normal mode (50 lumens). Guess the Scurions would be at least 10 times brighter then what I'm used to.

:yikes:

edit- just used the Scurion simulator
http://www.scurion.ch/jm/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=86
and if you set the picture to the wooded road at night, it looks like a car headlight!
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Wow just checked the price: 664 Euro (EUR) = 814.544 US Dollar (USD). :yikes:
I don't think they will sell too many of them.
Cavers tend to be cheap bastards...
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Junkman you would be surprised. They seem to be really popular in Europe despite the price. I wouldn't say they have proliferated like the Sten has here in the US but they seem to sell enough of them over there to continue producing them. For the longest time they wouldnt ship to the US for some legal reasons apparently. We may start seeing more over here now that there is a local distributor.
I think my P7 maybe the only Scurion in TAG. I hope they spread more because people sure do enjoy caving with lots of light :grin:
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jun 16, 2010 3:30 pm

JR-Orion wrote:Wow, I'm trying to imagine what that much light would look like. The only light I've ever used is my Duo 14, which maxes out at 67 lumens. 98% of the time I run it in normal mode (50 lumens). Guess the Scurions would be at least 10 times brighter then what I'm used to.

:yikes:

edit- just used the Scurion simulator
http://www.scurion.ch/jm/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=86
and if you set the picture to the wooded road at night, it looks like a car headlight!

While the lumens measurement is literally at least 10 times brighter, subjectively it wouldn't look *that* bright. Granted, it's still DAMN bright. A typical halogen car headlight puts out somewhere between 1000 and 1500 lumens.

I don't think they will sell too many of them.

I think they must be doing ok because they've been around for some time now and keep releasing updated models. From the number of them I've spotted in photos of European cavers I suspect it's kind of like the Stenlight equivalent Europe, albeit much pricier.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Remember you don't have to run a headlamp on full power all the time, unless you're stuck with having some dim little thing on your head or you like jogging through borehole passages. I seldom use the really bright setting on my headlamps, but once in a while it's nice to be able to light something up.

The latest Scurion will run for 88 hours on low power, and has option to program the flood and spot levels independently. They say it's pretty good for surveying too, because it's non-magnetic. Yes, I have thought about getting one. But no, I can't afford it.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby tonyvoudy » Jun 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Yeah I was caving in England a few months back and was goign to "impress" my English caving friends with my brand new extra bright Sten. That was when I met the Scurion for the first time. My buddies 3 year old Scurion was still putting out more light then the new sten. I was sad... :sick:
tonyvoudy
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 44233

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 16, 2010 9:33 pm

NZcaver wrote:and has option to program the flood and spot levels independently.

That is one of the greatest features, IMHO. I use the wide angle on setting 2 (of 4) and the spot on 0 (of 4) for general caving. It will last around 70h at the setting which is pretty nice.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 16, 2010 9:59 pm

If only they'd make them waterproof for sumps (or springs).
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Martin Sluka » Jun 17, 2010 12:36 am

Scurion has one BIG advantage: it has no internal thermometer chip which decrease level of light if the temperature of LED is too high. It's quite big case is able to cool it's LEDs only by radiation (passive). So one may use it on full throttle all the time the battery are not empty. Not in caves, but in case of rescue operation in mountains, skying, ...

I have one. 3700 K (warmer light), 900 lumens. I use it on the lowest possible level in normal way. But to check how high is a chimney, how deep is a pit or to illuminate big room it is really super light.

You may buy one with third low energy LED (emergency, light in tent, reading, ...) or with 420 nm UV LED. Latest one is very very useful to detect the aragonite for example. If they add another 220 nm UV LED too, it will be fantastic speleo+mineralogy lamp, but these 220 nm LEDs are not available yet.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby Steven Johnson » Jun 17, 2010 1:22 am

I recently caved with someone who had a Scurion, and I have to day it's a pretty phenomenal light. It's quite spendy, but the light output and general workmanship is top-notch. It's overkill for my needs, but for anyone doing big-room work, it's a nice piece of kit. (And impressive just from the techno-geek point of view as well.) If my caving-gear budget was unlimited, it definitely would be on my shopping list :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 17, 2010 1:47 am

Steven Johnson wrote:I recently caved with someone who had a Scurion

I bet this is the same Scurion-wearer I was caving with in NZ... :wtg:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 17, 2010 3:58 am

I caved with someone in a Scurion in 2007. It was, indeed, a great. Lights. I've strongly considered getting one in the past. But now I do all my caving underwater, so I'm reluctant to get one that can't be submerged.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Next

Return to Equipment Forum