PMI Chest Roller

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PMI Chest Roller

Postby MDS » Jun 16, 2010 7:02 am

J.C. Woods wrote:I do not favor one system over any other, and your points are quite valid for general American rigging and caving styles. My tests and practical experience indicate that the Mitchell System addresses the top-heavy issue 100% as effectively as the ropewalker. It has approximately 90% of the ropewalker's effectiveness for practical climbing (not racing) and is FAR superior to the ropewalker for crossing the rebelays, knots and other mid-rope obstacles that Mat will encounter in U.K. and European caves. The Mitchell System can also be converted to an effective Frog system in 30 seconds by wearing a Croll ascender and stowing the roller box for use only on longer pitches. Ropewalker systems do not accommodate such changes. The additional cost of the double roller is incidental to the overall system cost and the PMI double roller box is the finest that I have ever seen. Over and out.

There have been some very excellent responses to this topic from various contributors but I hadn't responded further to the thread over the last couple of days due to wanting to see how the thread developed and give myself a chance to discern contributions and yours john have been exemplary. I've read through your most comprehensive reports and considered them so good they were worth a print off and file for any of my peers who may have similar issues.

I had forgotten to mention that my body morphology is short and stocky and your typecasting report answered many questions before I was to bring them to the forum. It is good to know that my problems are NOT created by myself and that my issues are in fact geniune and not an incompetency in my technique. Your unambiguous reports/post combination and dedication to take the time to undertake a 3 yr investigation recognises that there is a genuine discrepancy for certain individuals employing the frog system and shows you are consumately commited to assisting your fellow caver - for which I salute you!

I was hoping for a solution that would combine a chest roller with the frog system and extend to a ropewalking system such as the Mitchell system and this seems to be my way foward. I agree that a caver should commit to learning 2 systems so I'll procure the PMI double roller and adopt the Mitchell system along with the Frog system. I should now have all I need.

Thanks to all contributors.
Disclaimer: Any statements, opinions and points of view expressed in this post represent those of the author only. Simularities by other individuals are purely coincidental.
MDS
Occasional Poster

Name: Matt Smith
NSS #: 60930
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-Cave Diving Section

Postby NZcaver » Jun 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Never underestimate the power of an online discussion between cavers. I just purchased a PMI double chest roller for myself. :shhh: Got a good deal, too. :big grin:

Now I have to mix around some ascenders and footloops etc, and go play. :banana:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Marduke » Jun 16, 2010 9:57 pm

NZcaver wrote:Never underestimate the power of an online discussion between cavers. I just purchased a PMI double chest roller for myself. :shhh: Got a good deal, too. :big grin:

Now I have to mix around some ascenders and footloops etc, and go play. :banana:

If you normally use a ropewalker that utilizes both an upper ascender and a QAS, or have two QAS's, use one QAS with a loop of webbing or prussic cord attached to the end, and use the adjustable aspect of the QAS to adjust to the proper length and run it through the right roller for a "1 minute Mitchell".
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MDS » Jun 17, 2010 5:45 am

NZcaver wrote:Never underestimate the power of an online discussion between cavers.....

Just so! it makes a refreshing change to find a forum where contributions are helpful and discussions are intelligent when so many are full of useless rhetoric! :big grin:

Thanks to all for maintaining content focus and not allowing the thread to go off topic :clap:
Disclaimer: Any statements, opinions and points of view expressed in this post represent those of the author only. Simularities by other individuals are purely coincidental.
MDS
Occasional Poster

Name: Matt Smith
NSS #: 60930
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-Cave Diving Section

Postby NZcaver » Jun 17, 2010 2:41 pm

We have our share of useless rhetoric too... :argue: :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby kodyodom » Oct 4, 2010 12:55 pm

I have used the pmi chest roller with the frog system and it worked well, however i preferred not using it as it was awkward and i like the mobility of not using one.
kodyodom
Infrequent Poster

Name: Kody Odom

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum