LCP Post Hoc Modification

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LCP Post Hoc Modification

Postby brngk » May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

So with cave closures over the summer I'll be extending my recreational repertoire to include some canyoneering.
Problem is I'd rather not drop $$$ on another pack. I've been enjoying a lost creek pack for the last year, the only
problem for the current situation is that is unlikely to drain water very well. Has anybody here tried modifying their
LCP pack post-hoc with some grommets to improve drainage? My main concern is this would really mess up the
structural integrity of the pack :down: . Any and all input appreciated.
brngk
Occasional Poster

Re: LCP Post Hoc Modification

Postby NZcaver » May 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Can't see that installing a grommet or two in the bottom of the pack would be a problem. Lots of rope-carrying packs are made like that. Make sure the grommet is solid brass. The plated ones tend to rust and fall apart.

If in doubt, shoot an email to Anmar at LCP.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » May 11, 2010 9:06 pm

I melted holes in my lost creek pack with copper tubing and a torch. After I got the tube red hot it melted right through the layers of the pack, cauterizing every layer to prevent fraying. I then put 2 grommits in, brass. Got a pack of 10 and the installation tool at a fabric shop.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby brngk » May 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to get on top of it this weekend. We should really set up a donation page
for the forum, where we can divert some of the money we're saving. Tried shooting LCP an email, but
their server seems to be on the fritz. NZ, says you're in Tucson, but associated with a Connecticut Grotto.
You ever come to the SAG/EGI meetings?
brngk
Occasional Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Lol??? why would we need to donate money to the forums? Im rather confused by that comment. :shrug:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby brngk » May 11, 2010 10:55 pm

just a joke :big grin:
brngk
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2010 12:52 am

brngk wrote:Thanks for the tips, I'll have to get on top of it this weekend. We should really set up a donation page
for the forum, where we can divert some of the money we're saving. Tried shooting LCP an email, but
their server seems to be on the fritz. NZ, says you're in Tucson, but associated with a Connecticut Grotto.
You ever come to the SAG/EGI meetings?

Donations may be sent to me at any time. :big grin:

I'll PM you.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby batrotter » May 12, 2010 5:34 am

I'm surprised that the newer Lost Creek packs don't have drain holes. I suspect they eliminated them to save a few pennies. Of course, the newer ones are cheaper made than the old ones.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2010 11:01 am

batrotter wrote:I'm surprised that the newer Lost Creek packs don't have drain holes. I suspect they eliminated them to save a few pennies. Of course, the newer ones are cheaper made than the old ones.

I have a Lost Creek pack which I purchased new about 10 years ago, and it doesn't have a drain hole in the bottom. I'm not sure whether this is a "newer" version or not, but it seems pretty well made and has held up well over the years. Personally I've never had a problem with the pack not having a grommet in the bottom. Some people may find it a nice option, but I wouldn't want them all made that way unless they came with some form of plug. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby batrotter » May 12, 2010 11:54 am

I have 4 different Lost Creek packs. The first one I bought around 1992 making it about 18 years old. It has the grommet hole in the bottom and is the best built LCP I have. If you are in a very wet cave where your pack gets submerged, the drain hole in the bottom is a great feature.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » May 12, 2010 11:59 am

Batrotter, I am not sure why you say they are cheaper made now than they were 18 years ago. Other than a few minor changes I made which I feel increased the durability and reduced materials waste, they have essentially remained unchanged in that time period.

Drain holes have always been an option for LC packs but only one vendor, Bob and Bob, ever carried our packs with grommets. All of our other vendors specify the packs without drains.

To anyone who wants to retrofit, I recommend a pencil soldering iron to punch the holes, then brass or SS grommets.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

shibumi wrote:Batrotter, I am not sure why you say they are cheaper made now than they were 18 years ago. Other than a few minor changes I made which I feel increased the durability and reduced materials waste, they have essentially remained unchanged in that time period.

Drain holes have always been an option for LC packs but only one vendor, Bob and Bob, ever carried our packs with grommets. All of our other vendors specify the packs without drains.

Anmar,

I say this because my original pack which I bought from Bob & Bob has held up better than the newer ones, plain and simple. The old pack is a stiffer, more abrasive material. You can feel the difference.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » May 12, 2010 1:17 pm

batrotter wrote:Anmar,

I say this because my original pack which I bought from Bob & Bob has held up better than the newer ones, plain and simple. The old pack is a stiffer, more abrasive material. You can feel the difference.

*shrug* it may have been a difference in the materials at the time your pack was made, ballistics nylon can differ significantly from batch to batch and from suppliers. The coatings on the back of the fabric can differ dramatically too and it has nothing to do with price. I too have several old LC packs from when Tom started the company to when Don rebuilt it after Tom's death to when Baus owned it and the feel of the fabrics is all over the map. I'm very sorry that our current product is not living up to your expectations.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » May 12, 2010 1:52 pm

shibumi wrote:I'm very sorry that our current product is not living up to your expectations.

Don't apologize, the packs are well made. I'm still using all of them. It's just the first one has held up the best. The stitching has all held up as well as the straps and buckles. I'd buy another one if these were really worn out.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » May 13, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been happy with both of my LCP's. They've been pretty well beaten up and come out of the wash looking great after each caving trip. :grin:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Next

Return to Equipment Forum