Fenix HP10 diffuser work around

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Fenix HP10 diffuser work around

Postby pub » Feb 6, 2011 6:22 am

This is a branch from many topics discussing the diffuser for a Fenix HP10(search for fenix diffuser).

I’ve wanted to shoot the series below since I got my Fenix 2 Christmases ago and I finally got a chance this weekend to do so. (No PP on the photos, just resizing)

Control – no diffuser (high power):

Container with end cut off (high power):

Complete container (high power):

Complete container (turbo):

I use translucent film containers for my diffusers. They snap snugly (real tight, it’s hard to knock off even if you bump it against something & actually protects the lens) onto the second cooling fin of the Fenix and no, I haven’t notice any difference in the temperature.

I use a complete container when I want full diffusion and a container with the end cut off when I want to use the uninterrupted throw of the Fenix and have a little spill. The amount of spill will vary with the opaqueness of the plastic and how far the cut is from the lens.
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Re: Fenix HP10 diffuser work around

Postby Cody JW » Feb 6, 2011 11:52 am

What kind of film container?? The film containers I can think of would be too big for the HP-10 head. Can you elaborate?
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby pub » Feb 6, 2011 5:44 pm

Jeff,

They are Fujifilm 35mm film containers that I get from a local photo shop. I hear Costco sell Fujifilm in the states.

They have a locking groove around the inside diameter of the open end to capture the cap. This groove fit perfectly around the HP10 head. They measure 31mm in diameter & 50mm tall.

Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby MUD » Feb 6, 2011 6:45 pm

:kewl: Thanks Pub! I made a few of these today and they work pretty good. I'm now experimenting with cutting slots in the bottom to give me a little more light at my feet. :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby pub » Feb 6, 2011 6:48 pm

there you go... gud idea, i'll try that next, thanks cavemud :clap:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 6, 2011 9:38 pm

Cavemud wrote::kewl: Thanks Pub! I made a few of these today and they work pretty good. I'm now experimenting with cutting slots in the bottom to give me a little more light at my feet. :grin:
The light around my feet (or lack of) is the ONLY problem I have with the HP-10. Other than that I think it is a great light for the money. Not a Sten , but only 65-70 bucks, and it appears to be waterproof or at least very resistant.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jsniffin » Feb 6, 2011 11:16 pm

having trouble picturing this can you post some pictures of the actual lamp with this on it please?
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Postby pub » Feb 7, 2011 12:02 am

sure james, here's an open ended one:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 7, 2011 1:11 am

I applaud your ingenuity. I've used those clear 35mm film cannisters for other unorthodox purposes. Lack of flood in the HP10 is definitely a negative for me, and the factory diffuser is pretty ineffective. That's a major reason why I haven't got one.

But... doesn't that protrusion get hung up on things? And what about the flare in the top of your peripheral vision? I'd think that would get kinda annoying. :shrug:

Pity Fenix doesn't make an upgraded model with a side by side spot and flood beam...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cody JW » Feb 7, 2011 8:09 am

NZcaver wrote:I applaud your ingenuity. I've used those clear 35mm film cannisters for other unorthodox purposes. Lack of flood in the HP10 is definitely a negative for me, and the factory diffuser is pretty ineffective. That's a major reason why I haven't got one.

But... doesn't that protrusion get hung up on things? And what about the flare in the top of your peripheral vision? I'd think that would get kinda annoying. :shrug:

Pity Fenix doesn't make an upgraded model with a side by side spot and flood beam...
Maybe this canister can be cut down so it does not stick out so far. I am amazed Fennix designers cannot do this on their own. I would be happy to pay extra if they could design something in to it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » Feb 7, 2011 8:49 am

NZcaver wrote:I applaud your ingenuity. I've used those clear 35mm film cannisters for other unorthodox purposes.
Thanks Jansen! I too use these for many different things like a diffuser for cameras with a pop-up flash. It softens up the otherwise harsh flash.

Also, the Fenix on turbo with a complete canister (full diffusion) puts out enough light for photography in small rooms and passages. It eliminates the blotchiness with painting.
[joke]You might call it the Sustained Helmet Illumination Technique![/joke]

NZcaver wrote:But... doesn't that protrusion get hung up on things? And what about the flare in the top of your peripheral vision?
Yes, it protrudes but in the caves I go to, easy ones, it’s not a problem but if needs be, I just pop it off. Looks like the Stenlight and Scurion might protrude more?

The canister is not visible at all with my helmet but might be if the helmet has a narrower profile. Actually, the light from the very tip of the canister hits the base of the nose and the eyes are shadowed by the helmet’s rim:
NZcaver wrote:Pity Fenix doesn't make an upgraded model with a side by side spot and flood beam...
I agree… but who knows, they just might in the future.
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 7, 2011 3:21 pm

pub wrote:[joke]You might call it the Sustained Helmet Illumination Technique![/joke]

:rofl: That's a good one, Jerry!

I think it was Fuzzy Hair Man who previously mentioned the scotch tape method of diffusing the HP10 beam. I'm still thinking that would be worth trying, and be simpler and less obtrusive. Actually if you cut a circle of translucent tape which only covers about half the lens (in the middle), this should preserve the spot while also improving the flood. Or perhaps find a small translucent stick-on convex bubble? Hmmm... I wonder. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby MUD » Feb 7, 2011 6:31 pm

We used to use ordinary kitchen wax paper for our diffuser on electric lights. It will make the light a little yellow also, mimicking carbide lamp light. I'll try some on my Fenix and see how it works.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby snoboy » Feb 7, 2011 7:52 pm

Glad "Press'n'Seal" is supposed to work well. Haven't tried it yet.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby YuccaPatrol » Feb 8, 2011 9:27 am

satin scotch tape works well too as improvised diffuser material
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Next