Please help me decide on caving approach shoes.

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Please help me decide on caving approach shoes.

Postby EdwinTheDeadwin » Apr 1, 2020 6:43 am

Hello, my grotto is based out of Los Angeles. Most of the people in my group use approach or canyoneering shoes. So I narrowed it down to a few choices for approach shoes and I wanted to ask if anyone has any input. I am also open to other suggestions.

Arc'teryx Konseal AR Approach Shoes: https://www.rei.com/product/154926/arct ... shoes-mens
La Sportiva TX 3 Approach Shoes: https://www.rei.com/product/895633/la-s ... shoes-mens
La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoes: https://www.rei.com/product/146538/la-s ... shoes-mens

The reviews on REI make the TX3 look like the best pick for wet conditions. But they are marked as being for hiking and they are also less durable.
I saw a review for the Konseal AR that made them sound like they are good for wet rock.
I tried asking a question on there about the TX4 but the guy that answered didn't seem familiar with caving.

Any help would be appreciated.
EdwinTheDeadwin
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California Grott

Re: Please help me decide on caving approach shoes.

Postby bobby49 » Apr 4, 2020 10:33 pm

Those three are similar to what I use. However, I doubt that I've ever paid more than $80 for any of mine. Then the oldest pair of those boots is what I use inside the cave.

We have no idea where you go caving, so you are better off getting advice from people in your grotto.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 5, 2020 7:52 am

Shoes are shoes are shoes. It doesn't much matter.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Apr 7, 2020 3:46 pm

I generally wear the same boots getting to the cave as I do in the cave. It might be different out in CA, but pretty much all cavers around here are the same way.
Who am I kidding- EVERYTHING is different in CA! :laughing:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 7, 2020 6:08 pm

EdwinTheDeadwin wrote:Most of the people in my group use approach or canyoneering shoes. So I narrowed it down to a few choices for approach shoes and I wanted to ask if anyone has any input.

Get the ones that fit you best. End of discussion.

Seriously, it's mostly about the extra grippy rubber sole, which really does make a difference in caving (I was skeptical till I tried them).

I haven't used any of those models but have used La Sportiva Boulder X Mid for a while and been very happy with them. Never encountered anyone using the Arcteryx. Several cavers in my grotto (Diablo) use Five Tens and are happy with them.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby brdau » Oct 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Try a few on and see what is best for your feet. I've got a pair of the 5 10 canyoneers that are awesome in water, their stealth rubber does very well in wet conditions (also available in their non-water shoes). If the caves are dry though, all major brands of approach shoes should work well, it just depends what fits your feet and your budget.
brdau
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 69426
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Houston Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum