Giving to Charity

Want to share a good joke? Post it here. No offensive jokes, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Giving to Charity

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm

The United Way realized that it had never received a donation from the city's most successful lawyer. So a United Way volunteer paid the lawyer a visit in his lavish office. The volunteer opened the meeting by saying "Our research shows that even though your annual income is over two million dollars, you don't give a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give something back to your community through the United Way?"

The lawyer thought for a minute and said, "First, did your research also show you that my mother is dying after a long, painful illness and she has huge medical bills that are far beyond her ability to pay?"

Embarrassed, the volunteer mumbled, "Uh... no, I didn't know that."

"Secondly," said the lawyer, "my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair and is unable to support his wife and six children." The stricken United Way rep began to stammer an apology, but was cut off again.

"Thirdly, did your research also show you that my sister's husband died in a dreadful car accident, leaving her penniless with a mortgage and three children, one of whom is disabled and another that has disabilities requiring an array of private tutors?" The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said, "I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

And the lawyer closed the discussion...."So, if I didn't give any money to them, what makes you think I'd give any to you?"
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby adleedy » Dec 14, 2006 6:58 pm

too bad there is actually people like that in this world
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby RescueMan » Dec 14, 2006 8:43 pm

Eliminate the charity tax deduction and see how many wealthy people give back to their communities.

Ironically (or not) the poor are almost always far more generous than the rich. While the rich might give a little of their excess, the poor will often give the shift off their back.
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby Eve » Jan 28, 2007 6:43 pm

Forget the donor. It's the fundraiser I'm worried about. There isn't a fundraiser alive in this world that would go ask for a major donation without having done a scary amount of background research on the prospect first!
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Lost » Jan 31, 2007 1:16 pm

It's hard to even get a small donation.

http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?t=3688
Lost
Prolific Poster

Return to Joke Forum