Cyclist T-Bones Huge Bear, Lives to Tell About It

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyclist T-Bones Huge Bear, Lives to Tell About It

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Bear vs. bike: Teacher riding to school runs into bruin above Miller Creek
By TRISTAN SCOTT of the Missoulian

“I've come close to them this time of year,” Litz said, clutching his side and grimacing. “I know bears. The entire creek bottom is just hammered by bears. That's the beauty of living here. But typically, they're crossing the road and I have plenty of time to avoid them.”

.... Usually, the animals barrel off the road and out of sight.

This time, however, Litz was clipping along the dirt road at 25 mph when he came upon a rise, spied a massive black bear 10 feet in front of him, and pedaled directly into the animal, T-boning its broad side.

“I didn't have time to respond. I never even hit my brakes,” Litz said.

He tumbled over his handlebars, planting his helmeted head on the bruin's back, and man and beast went cartwheeling down the road.

Read on... Is your bike helmet bear proof? :yikes:
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008 ... news01.txt
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Cyclist T-Bones Huge Bear, Lives to Tell About It

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 12, 2008 9:04 am

Cheryl Jones wrote:Bear vs. bike: Teacher riding to school runs into bruin above Miller Creek
By TRISTAN SCOTT of the Missoulian

“I've come close to them this time of year,” Litz said, clutching his side and grimacing. “I know bears. The entire creek bottom is just hammered by bears. That's the beauty of living here. But typically, they're crossing the road and I have plenty of time to avoid them.”

.... Usually, the animals barrel off the road and out of sight.

This time, however, Litz was clipping along the dirt road at 25 mph when he came upon a rise, spied a massive black bear 10 feet in front of him, and pedaled directly into the animal, T-boning its broad side.

“I didn't have time to respond. I never even hit my brakes,” Litz said.

He tumbled over his handlebars, planting his helmeted head on the bruin's back, and man and beast went cartwheeling down the road.

Read on... Is your bike helmet bear proof? :yikes:
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008 ... news01.txt

Very lucky indeed.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Teresa » Sep 12, 2008 10:49 pm

What is "T-Boning?"
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 12, 2008 11:49 pm

Think of the "T-bone" in a steak -- the long part of the bone "T-bones" into the shorter side. The biker ran head-long into the center side of the bear at a 90 degree angle, so "T-boned" it. (A more common example is when a car runs a red light and hits a car broadside on the cross street.)

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Mike Hood » Sep 13, 2008 1:01 pm

I ride a bike path that's close to my house. While there are no bears in Dayton, I did nearly hit a large buck that stepped onto the path just in front of me. I just barely missed "t-boning" him. Good thing deer are agile as he simply jumped into the brush and out of my way.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm

On the bear subject,this bear sure did not like a certain person LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... nfrew.html
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 2:18 am

I heard about that lucky guy. There's been a number of bear encounters (including some serious ones) around Anchorage this summer, but I guess not all Alaska happenings make national news?

I've taken to carrying my bear pepper spray and making some noise when walking the trails around town, as well as out in the wilderness. Good situational awareness goes a long way. But it really is amazing how many people walk, run and bike around here with their iPods plugged into their heads. I've even met some out on hiking trails, blissfully ignorant of the bear sign all around them!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 14, 2008 8:55 am

What you don't know won't hurt ya :yikes:

I am close to moving bear country but fortunately black only no grizzlies.How far does the bear spray go?How much of a threat to pet dogs is there?I have been reading some information but first hand knowledge is always better.

I have spent a lot of time in the area ridge walking and had no contact other than dumps but if I am going to be there permanently,I am sure encounters will happen.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Ponorplumber wrote:I am close to moving bear country but fortunately black only no grizzlies.How far does the bear spray go?How much of a threat to pet dogs is there?I have been reading some information but first hand knowledge is always better.

They say it's best to keep close control of your dog in bear country (like keep them on a leash if you can).

As for bear pepper spray and appropriate behaviour in bear country, all you ever wanted to know and more can be found in this excellent Alaska Magazine article published earlier this year, this USGS information page, and this article written for hunters in Sports Afield magazine.

By now I have personally encountered both grizzly (brown) bears and black bears on trails at different times. None have been right in my face, but a couple of encounters were close enough (within 50-100 ft) for the bears behaviour - and mine - to be modified by our reacting to each other. Thankfully, I have not yet needed to use bear spray or other direct defensive measures. Staying somewhat calm and reacting appropriately helped to avoid serious issues. No doubt luck played a part as well.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby ian mckenzie » Sep 14, 2008 2:29 pm

I have never carried bear spray and never will. The only direct second-hand experiences I've heard are with people who have accidentally sprayed themselves or their friends in non-bear situations. No thanks; in thirty years in the backcountry I've safely seen lots of bears, and am much more afraid of being sprayed, or shot, by a nervous friend.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 3:56 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:I have never carried bear spray and never will. The only direct second-hand experiences I've heard are with people who have accidentally sprayed themselves or their friends in non-bear situations. No thanks; in thirty years in the backcountry I've safely seen lots of bears, and am much more afraid of being sprayed, or shot, by a nervous friend.

Not to split hairs, but the "accidentally sprayed" cases I've heard of (some first-hand) seem to be mostly due to careless or inappropriate use rather than a deficient product. However it is certainly prudent to take precautions when transporting this stuff, especially by air. When traveling through Canada earlier this year, I saw some "bear popper" noise makers in outdoor stores. Haven't seen these in the US though - does anybody know if they are actually effective? I often carry a small but very loud air horn can with me, which doubles as an effective means of rousing people in nearby tents. Haven't needed to use that around bears yet, either.

Like other options, including carrying firearms, each person should make their own informed choices about what tools to carry and what actions are appropriate to take.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks guys! I plan to leash the dog of course as well as having a fenced area for casual play in the yard/ I will ask the locals what their experiences have been once I am up there.

My only concern is if I did have a bad encounter and recommended behavior does not help is that I can't run anymore ...mind you the bear would pass me on the way LOL unless I could find a downhill spot

PS sorry to the OP..I should have probably started another thread.

PS I use those air horns on collection agencies calling me for some guy they think I am ..works well ;)
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Ponorplumber wrote:My only concern is if I did have a bad encounter and recommended behavior does not help is that I can't run anymore ...mind you the bear would pass me on the way LOL unless I could find a downhill spot

FYI - trying to run from a bear is usually one of the worst things you can do. As I understand this action generally triggers the chase instinct, and even slower bears can invariably run much quicker than fast humans. In the bear's mind, you are now are an item of prey.

If you're riding a bike on a road or clear trail, you might be able to outrun a bear. In this guy's case, like many bear encounters in the lower 48, that bear did not seem to identify a human as either a threat or a snack. Good thing.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby barcelonacvr » Sep 14, 2008 9:34 pm

I know running is not good for sure..they would pass you on land or up a tree.Most likely it will never be a problem but the more one knows the better.My only concern is due to being super fubar..."if" I became desirable bear lunch...I would not provide much of a fight... :tonguecheek: I will see what the MNR rangers recommend..thanks for the insight though!!

Beautiful animals they are...from a distance :woohoo:
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum