Any gardeners here? Mine's loaded!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Any gardeners here? Mine's loaded!

Postby SpeleoRover » Jul 1, 2008 8:34 pm

Ours is really coming in - way ahead of most folks in my area, too. :big grin:

We harvested nearly 60 hot banana peppers, couple-dozen squash, and tons of zucchini over the last few days. We're rolling in home-grown veggie goodness. I've got probably another 60 or so hot bananas and as many Hungarian hot wax peppers coming by the weekend. My chiles are loaded and turning red, jalapeños are setting, and my red, yellow, and green peppers are fruiting. Poblanos should be along later. The roma and bradley tomatoes are heavy, and the corn is eared out.

I'll be fire-roasting and freezing peppers beginning tomorrow night - yummy all year!

Anyone else growin' their own? :woohoo:
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Re: Any gardeners here? Mine's loaded!

Postby graveleye » Jul 1, 2008 9:02 pm

I am on my way to your house right now. Hope you don't mind company!!

I envy you and anyone who has a good spot for a garden. I love gardening, but my little 1/2 acre is steep, shady and covered with pines. Nothing will grow here. I love gardening and miss having a good place for a garden but I can't even get a tomato plant going in my present abode:(

Enjoy those peppers!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Teresa » Jul 1, 2008 11:39 pm

Tomatoes are in. Trying to grow Concord grapes. (Love 'em and can't find them in the store because they have seeds.) Been eating black raspberries for weeks; they are about done; dewberries seem to be late, but they've been going about a week. Lots of flowers and herbs out there, too.
Have the tomatoes in, and secured with chicken wire. Never mind. Got home last night and found a young bunny (possibly named Peter) caught inside the tomato fencing. When I opened the fence to let him/her out, said bunny was doing the 2-yard dash back and forth, hyperventilating and making this funny bunny high pitched scream. Darn it, I was trying to help him/her out...Got more stakes for the chicken wire today, but I think I know who broke one of the plants, which I am rooting and will try to replant. I think I read this bunny story as a child, and Mr. MacGregor was one of the main characters.
We have a yard of dumb and slow animals. Since we have no kids, cats or dogs, we end up with lots of birds, squirrels and bunnies. We have a "slow" robin-- young bird, will stay within 3-4 ft of me, apparently fearless. Ditto the bunnies under normal conditions.

Maybe we should put in a St. Francis statue.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jul 2, 2008 3:20 am

I miss my garden, wheni lived near orlando i had a great garden in pots on my porch. Had haberños, jalapeños, banana peppers, and cherry tomatoes. I never ate them, I just grew stuff to give away. My Dad said my peppers where super hot, and as his mother said " It takes a really mean woman to grow a really hot pepper". That would be me. Now where I live I have no sunlight on my porch, even my hanging plants died. Hopefully in 6 months from now I will be moving, and i will make sure i get an apartment with some sunlight.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 2, 2008 7:27 am

I have a tiny little garden with a few tomatoes and squash. They are just now beginning to produce a little.
Although I have an acre of yard, it is so shady it is difficult to grow veggies. The one sunny spot for the garden
only gets sun for a few hours a day. Better than nothing though.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Jul 2, 2008 9:18 am

Ours is a new plot. We bought the house and a 2-acre lot last September.

I spent most waking hours away from work this spring hauling in compost from the city recycling and solid waste facility. They take in clean yard waste and compost it, then resell it on the c-h-e-a-p. Good stuff, and tests out for organic food production use.

Can't wait to see what comes in over the next few days! We're not even in good pepper weather yet! :banana_yay:
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 2, 2008 12:28 pm

We've got a very small garden this year. We have harvested a few small tomatoes, but the squash is almost ready now. I can't wait!
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby mgmills » Jul 2, 2008 8:59 pm

Scott Parvin wrote:We've got a very small garden this year. We have harvested a few small tomatoes, but the squash is almost ready now. I can't wait!

We have been giving squash away to the neighbors. It is really doing good. We have also been eating spinich, jalepeno peppers and green beans fresh from the garden. Even picked a couple of green tomatoes and fried them up. No ripe tomatoes yet (but we started them from seeds)

Corn not ready yet. Okra is iffy but hopefully it will make. Think I will have enough tomatoes and green beans to can some of them.

Been eating wild blueberries and blackberries growing wild on our 13 acres.

First year for our newly cleared garden spot here. Next year it will be bigger. We planted some things too close together. My sunflowers are awesome. We have one that is over 8 feet high.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Doug Bohannon » Jul 3, 2008 10:45 am

graveleye wrote:I envy you and anyone who has a good spot for a garden. I love gardening, but my little 1/2 acre is steep, shady and covered with pines. Nothing will grow here. I love gardening and miss having a good place for a garden but I can't even get a tomato plant going in my present abode:(
Enjoy those peppers!!

Like Graveleye, I too enjoy raising my own edibles, but ever since moving to my current home I've been unable to. Being surrounded by shade trees has it's advantages, but like anything else, too much of a good thing is too much! Fresh peppers, fresh cilantro, cheery tomatoes going straight from the vine to the mouth, oh how I long for thee...

Bon Apetit, SpeleoRover!
Doug Bohannon
Infrequent Poster

Name: Doug Bohannon
NSS #: 60043

Postby SpeleoRover » Jul 3, 2008 3:51 pm

Here's a recipe for sauteed squash that'll rekindle your love for the yellow beast. You know how it goes - when it's going, you're drowning in crookneck.

Chop some onion - sweat in a skillet with a bit of butter. Slice squash (and zucchini) thinly. Sautee w/ onions. Salt and pepper. Add a finely chopped chile if desired. Serve.

Makes a great addition to veggie pizza, too.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Nico » Jul 3, 2008 9:36 pm

I dont have a garden, mine's more like an orchard or whatever its called in english.
Theres a fig tree, prickly pear yeah we eat that stuff when its tender, tangerine orange tree,
avocado tree (hass variety) grapefruit tree another avocado tree (cuervo variety, you can even eat the crust)
and an orange tree.
so far this year I think I've given away over 150 lbs of hass avocados, they're big and taste great.
all this in less than half acre.

sometimes we grow a little bit of corn or pumpkin in a 7 acre piece of land we use mainly for growing hybrid sorgum
as for peppers, well.. they're readily available here in Mexico so no need for that :banana:
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 4, 2008 8:16 am

SpeleoRover wrote:Here's a recipe for sauteed squash that'll rekindle your love for the yellow beast. You know how it goes - when it's going, you're drowning in crookneck.

Chop some onion - sweat in a skillet with a bit of butter. Slice squash (and zucchini) thinly. Sautee w/ onions. Salt and pepper. Add a finely chopped chile if desired. Serve.

Makes a great addition to veggie pizza, too.

Thanks Jason! We grilled some squash last weekend and it was really good. I'm a fan of the onion and squash combo, too.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Return to Open Talk Forum