The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth

Postby fireman1904 » Jun 18, 2008 7:51 pm

- Going too far between oil changes will not affect you engine until later in its life, 100,000 miles or more. Then it will burn oil, and maybe lots of it.

I dont really buy this. If not changing the oil is going to affect the engine till later in its life then it probably wouldnt ever affect it. The first few thousand miles on an engine probably involves more wear on the parts than any other miles. More wear equals more contaminates. Also as far as burning oil. I have had 3 vehicles with 130000 plus miles and none of them used oil any more when they had high miles than with low miles. One of them used a little oil.. maybe a quart every three or four months but after fixing the valve cover gaskets it quit doing that. My last two have regularly went over 20000 miles between oil changes with some of those more in the 50000 mile range and I have never had to add a drop of oil. And yes I do check the oil I just am really bad at putting off changing the oil. I am not saying you shouldnt change it... you definatly should. I just dont buy all the bull about changing it real often. I met a guy a few years ago that worked for Mobile 1 and he was telling me about testing their synthetic oil. To make a long story short they tested oil from his personal vehicle at different intervals... even after 20000 miles the oil had less contaminates in it than conventional motor oil. I guess if you are like me and dont change your oil very often it would be a good idea to at least run synthetic. I do. In short.... do change your oil but just dont help support the multi billion dollar profit oil companies any more than you just have to.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby graveleye » Jun 19, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't think it will hurt to change the oil often. In fact, I tend to believe it will prolong the life of your engine. At least used motor oil is almost always recycled and can be put to good use. Provided you aren't some hick dumping it down a sinkhole of course.

Sure it might not make much of a difference, but I, for one, and not taking a chance on it. Call me old-school I guess.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Teresa » Jun 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Where are the synthetic oil wells? Maybe there are synthetic refineries, and they can make synthetic gasoline! :rofl:
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 20, 2008 11:39 am

I've thought the same thing Teresa. I'm no petroleum chemist, but it would seem logical that it could be done. I have two vehicles, both thirsty 5.7 ltr engines. One is a 2002 Trans Am that has never had anything but synthetic oil in it. Even the dealership tells me that 5000-7000 miles is ok for synthetic oil. My truck just takes 10w30.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Dave.W » Jun 29, 2008 1:04 am

Yes, but in my experience when you have the shop do an oil and filter change - that's all they usually do.
You were'nt in my shop, we work on commission from labor generated, I'm always more than happy to point out the slightest issues. Also there is a difference between a shop and a lube center, lube centers usually have the minimum amount of equipment because they just don't handle anything much more consuming than an oil change. A shop has no problem pulling an engine and rebuilding from the bottom up, certification plaques should be hanging from the walls if the employees are serious about the career they have chosen which is almost required to make any kind of paycheck well an honest paycheck anyway.
As far as mileage intervals between oil changes, contaminants are bad and can cause heavy wear. Contamination is introduced to the oil in a variety ways, around the piston ring is one way as stated by someone, you also get metals from all the internal surfaces against one another, alot of reciprocating parts. Moisture introduced from condensation forming on the inside of the engine block, usually more problematic for "short trip vehicles where the engine is not allowed to warm up to operating temperature hard on exhuast systems also. The air quality where the vehicle is operated, dusty areas can undermine air filtration equipment (which speeds up wear on those internals) especially when air filters are "blown-out" with compressed air as this tears the fibers reducing the micron rating. A bad spark plug could cause fuel contamination as it does'nt get burned, saturates the cylinders, seeps past the rings and mixes with the oil thinning the oil which can get real bad if unattended. The list goes on and on, some good literature in the reference section of your local library.
That said, my wifes toyota mini-van calls for 5000 mile intervals, thats what it gets. My commuter vehicle is a motorcycle as it gets 55 miles to the gallon (and thats riding it hard :big grin: ) and makes the commute fun plus a good rain suit is less than a tank of regular in my wrangler. The bike is a Sportster and it calls for 5000 mile intervals, thats what it gets and the bike does only hold 2 qts of oil. Now I'm not saying you can't go with a 10,000 mile interval with some oils but do yourself a favor and replace the oil filter halfway thru, top the crankcase off with the 2 pints the filter holds. Most filters are made with a bypass, which the oil is routed thru when the filter element becomes plugged, not cheap manufacturing just better to give your engine unfiltered oil rather than no oil. Hence the filter change, because unfiltered oil is hard on the soft bearing surfaces on the crankshaft. Also if anyone is performing or toying with the idea, used oil is accepted at most of your chain auto-parts stores for recycling, even my redneck friends know not to leave it laying around, thats just asking to contaminate YOUR house. Just my two cents on the subject.
:cave softly:
Dave.W
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dave.W » Jun 29, 2008 1:36 am

Forgot to mention, on the subject of oil capacities, the average semi truck engine holds 10 GALLONS of oil, some as much as 12. But most companies run 20,000 miles before changing oil of course these engines can have 3 oil filters, except Caterpillar they have 1 really big oil filter (holds almost 2 gallons just in the filter). Then figure my shop, which only has 1 lube bay, probably averages 60-70 oil changes per week, most diesel shops have 2-3 lube bays. The price is about $220-$250 for a semi oil change about $35 goes towards disposal fees, I was told California was near $60 in disposal fees.

Just thought I'd mention this as someone mentioned oil barrel price

:cave softly:
Dave.W
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum