Desperate times call for Spam

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Desperate times call for Spam

Postby Evan G » Jun 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Orginal Article by David Grimes:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080610/COLUMNIST23/806100577/1025/news

As if times were not depressing enough what with the high price of gas, the failing real estate market and the upcoming presidential election, people are eating more Spam.

As food prices soar, Spam has suddenly become a bargain. According, more or less, to the breathless press releases I have been receiving, a family of four can subsist for 30 days on a 12-ounce can of Spam, assuming no one takes more than one bite of the stuff, which is fairly typical in my experience.

My dad was a huge fan of Spam. To my knowledge, it was the only thing he knew how to cook, not that Spam really benefited from cooking one way or the other. His technique was to melt approximately four pats of oleo in a skillet and then fry as many slices of Spam as he deemed necessary, which was usually about half a can. Putting the fried Spam between two slices of white bread was, in his opinion, "gilding the lily." A dab of horseradish was, however, acceptable.

This is the same man who, at a buffet luncheon, was asked whether he had chosen the chicken or the fish.

"I don't analyze," he responded while chewing.

So, no, I don't come here to bury Spam, as tempting as it may be. But before you rush out and buy a crate of the stuff, there are some things you need to know:

Res idents of Hawaii eat an average of four cans of Spam per year. Hawaiians, in fact, are 80 percent Spam.

Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia is said to eat a sandwich of Spam and mayonnaise on white bread three times a week. He has had no detectable pulse for the past 10 years.

In 1993, the 5 billionth can of Spam was sold. These people must be anticipating a lot of hurricanes.

More than 60 million people in the U.S. eat Spam. However, we also re-elected George Bush, so that statistic is really not all that shocking.

If you laid 5 billion cans of Spam end to end, it would be tantamount to saying you have no life.

"Spam" is also the word used to describe useless, unsolicited and/or irritating e-mails. Make of this what you will.

I haven't bothered to investigate this because it involves research, but in the old days you opened a can of Spam with this cool little key thingy. When the lump of Spam exited the can, it made an unforgettable sploosh sound. After that, it was pretty much all downhill.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Re: Desperate times call for Spam

Postby MUD » Jun 10, 2008 8:19 pm

I'd rather dig a grub worm out of a stump and eat it. :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Evan G » Jun 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Cavemud wrote:I'd rather dig a grub worm out of a stump and eat it. :rofl:

No kidding!!! :rofl:

There are actually several different flavors of Spam, including:

Spam Classic - original flavor
Spam Hot & Spicy - with tabasco flavor
Spam Less Sodium - "25% less sodium"
Spam Lite - "33% less calories and 50% less fat"
Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
Spam Hickory Smoke flavor
Spam Spread - "if you're a spreader, not a slicer...just like Spam Classic, but in a spreadable form"
Spam with Bacon
Spam with Cheese
Spam Garlic
Spam Golden Honey Grail - a limited-release special flavor made in honor of Monty Python's SPAMALOT Broadway musical

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28food%29
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jun 11, 2008 12:24 am

Evan wrote:

There are actually several different flavors of Spam, including:

Spam Classic - original flavor
Spam Hot & Spicy - with tabasco flavor
Spam Less Sodium - "25% less sodium"
Spam Lite - "33% less calories and 50% less fat"
Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
Spam Hickory Smoke flavor
Spam Spread - "if you're a spreader, not a slicer...just like Spam Classic, but in a spreadable form"
Spam with Bacon
Spam with Cheese
Spam Garlic
Spam Golden Honey Grail - a limited-release special flavor made in honor of Monty Python's SPAMALOT Broadway musical

Now that's waaaaay too much :spam: :rofl:

Just the look on the emoticon's face says it all..... :spam:
:laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby batrotter » Jun 11, 2008 5:30 am

I seen another article about Spam a few weeks ago. It stated how times were hard and people were resorting to eating Spam just to survive. The most interesting part was the price. I believe it was $2.99 for 12 ounces. That works out to $3.99 a pound. You can buy a decent cut of meat for $3.99 a pound. Spam is not a cheap food to eat.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby tncaver » Jun 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey, I like regular spam. Without the tape. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm

I think the "tape" is actually seaweed strips used for Japanese style snacks.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jun 11, 2008 7:05 pm

The picture above is of Spam Musubi.

And here is a recipe for:
Party SPAM Cake

From http://www.spam.com/eatspam/contest_recipe.aspx?recipeid=243:

ImageImageImage
In a large bowl, mix green and red peppers, celery, onion, and SPAM. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Line a small cake pan with clear plastic wrap. Fold vegetables and SPAM ingredients into the beaten cream cheese. Spoon into the prepared pan, smoothing out evenly. Crush butter-flavored crackers to make 1 1/2 cups coarse crumbs. Pat crumbs on top of mixture in cake pan. Cover top with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Remove wrap and unmold onto serving plate. Garnish top with a sprinkle of paprika or seasoning salt (optional). Serve with butter-flavored crackers.

Ingredients1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup red peppers, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup green onion tops, sliced
1 12-oz. can SPAM Classic, grated
Butter-flavored crackers
2 8-oz pkgs. cream cheese, slightly softened
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

SPAM™ Tacos

From:http://www.spam.com/eatspam/recipe_detail.aspx?Id=113

ImageImage
In skillet over medium heat, combine SPAM®, potatoes, and chile. Cover. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Fill each taco shell with about 1/4 cup SPAM™ mixture and 1/4 cup lettuce. Top with cheese, tomato, sour cream, and salsa.

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
12 small new potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
1 Anaheim chile, chopped
8 corn taco shells
2 cup torn romaine lettuce

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 11, 2008 9:44 pm

For the total Spam experience, you really need to see the annual Waikiki Spam Jam. Mmmm, mmmm, yummy! :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Open Talk Forum