shake rattle and roll

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

shake rattle and roll

Postby graveleye » Apr 18, 2008 7:59 am

anyone else feel the earthquake this morning? I'm all the way down in Georgia and I felt it. Woke up this morning and the house was just creaking and rattling. I thought at first that someone was in the house and I was about to get up and patrol the house. It sounded like someone heavy was walking on the roof, out in the living room and on my porch. Freaked me out! Then I hear that there was an earthquake in Illinois!! That's so weird!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: shake rattle and roll

Postby shibumi » Apr 18, 2008 8:24 am

graveleye wrote:anyone else feel the earthquake this morning? I'm all the way down in Georgia and I felt it. Woke up this morning and the house was just creaking and rattling. I thought at first that someone was in the house and I was about to get up and patrol the house. It sounded like someone heavy was walking on the roof, out in the living room and on my porch. Freaked me out! Then I hear that there was an earthquake in Illinois!! That's so weird!

Woke me out of bed too, and I'm only about 70 miles from the epicenter. Once I was awake I realized what it was
and enjoyed the experience. I remember thinking it was about magnitude 5 and then the news this am reports
it was 5.2. The geologist in me was thrilled with my first rock and roll that I actually felt.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Apr 18, 2008 8:45 am

Did Feel it, but I know a number of folks of this forum that should have....
:yikes:
http://www.wishtv.com/global/story.asp?s=8191444
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Illinois Caver » Apr 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm 140 miles north of the epicenter and was a pretty impressive shake for Midwest standards. Loud boom, followed by shaking for about 5 seconds. I've never heard my house crack and creak like that before!

My students and I then felt the 4.5 aftershock a little after 10:00 (Illinois time). Talk about a teachable moment.

Anyway, I believe you can see evidence of the Evansville Fault system in some of the caves of Southern Indiana. I know I have a photo of one with me by it, just need to find it. :doh:
Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Name: Troy Simpson
NSS #: 45667
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 18, 2008 12:37 pm

If you find the picture Troy, post it up!! I'm really interested in seeing it.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby shibumi » Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Illinois Caver wrote:I'm 140 miles north of the epicenter and was a pretty impressive shake for Midwest standards. Loud boom, followed by shaking for about 5 seconds. I've never heard my house crack and creak like that before!

My students and I then felt the 4.5 aftershock a little after 10:00 (Illinois time). Talk about a teachable moment.

Anyway, I believe you can see evidence of the Evansville Fault system in some of the caves of Southern Indiana. I know I have a photo of one with me by it, just need to find it. :doh:

I have been in a few caves here in SI that have that, and the Mt Carmel fault in them.

I too felt the aftershock midmorning!

Anmar
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Illinois Caver » Apr 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Found the picture! It is River Cave at Cave River Valley. It might be part of the Mt. Carmel fault to be specific. You can follow the line bi-secting the passage along the ceiling and the floor.

Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 19, 2008 6:14 am

I'm in my hometown of Davenport, Iowa right now, and I felt the quake. I had gone to bed very early the night before, so I was awake at about 4:30. I felt something that seemed like a cat was jumping on the bed. Then it kept going like that (3 sequential cats?), then stopped. It was odd, and made no sense. I forgot all about it until around 8 when my brother asked me at breakfast if I'd heard about the earthquake. No. When was it? Sometime in the night. 4:37. Hmm, I was awake around 4:30. OHHHHHH!!!!! That's what the cat jumping was all about!

I also felt the aftershock. I was sitting in a chair and it bounced a little. I looked at my brother who also felt it and I pointed out a picture on the wall jiggling a little. And then it was all over.

The only other earthquake I ever felt was in Davenport when I was a little kid. I was at the kitchen table with my dad and his friend. I thought my dad was jiggling his leg and bumping the table. He thought I was doing the same thing. And that had been my only every previous earthquake experience. It's so exciting!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Illinois Caver » Apr 21, 2008 8:31 am

Another little tremor early this morning (12:40am Central time). Welcome to the Midwest!!

-Troy
Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum