bone marrow donation

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: bone marrow donation

Postby JNT Exploration1 » Oct 27, 2008 7:31 am

As a person awaiting a transplant I thank you for your courage to give of yourself in this way. It is a noble thing to say yes when it would have been easier to say no.
I know what it feels like to receive a call that says someone wants to save your life. Get ready and come down.
Even though I still wait, there is joy in hope. And on behalf of us folks in the world that await that call Thank you.
JNT Exploration1
Frequent Poster

Name: Jason and Traca

Postby Scott Parvin » Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

That's great news, Wendy!!

You've got a heart of gold.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby wendy » Jun 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Well the one year anniversary of my donation was 2 months ago and the other day at work i received the contact info for my recipient. I had given my consent already, but she had not yet received my info. I went ahead and called her. She lives in North Carolina so after the fall cave-in this year Graham and I are going to try and head over that way and see her. She said had she not gotten the stem cell transplant then the doctors had given her 1 year to live. She joked that my cells were so good that she didn't even get a cold this winter. We had a nice conversation and now I have a new friend (practically an older twin now that she has my cells) for life.

I still urge everyone to contact there local blood donation center or www.marrow.org and register for the bone marrow registry. I recently found out the following info:

Percentage of ethnic groups on the national registry
African American 7.8%
Asian/Pacific Islander 5.7%
Hispanic 7.1%
Native American 1.6%
Caucasian 71.5%

So I'm not saying if you are caucasian, not to register, but more like, if you are considered a minority, they really need you, please register. Encourage your family, friends, and co-workers to register. When the blood mobile was at my work I arranged for a bone marrow registry drive as well. Even my 19 year old niece registered when she came to visit me last month. And again, if anyone has questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks for everyone for being supportive of me the last year.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 16, 2009 8:40 am

That's just awesome Wendy!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

:kewl: :clap: :bow:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS