irs spam

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

irs spam

Postby wendy » Jan 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Just an FYI that I received spam e-mail today (not related to this site) the e-mail was from online@irs.gov. It was an online tax return form. Looked to be a legit link, but when I put my browser arrow over it I knew it was a bogus link and a scam to get personal info (I never clicked the link). Becareful out there guys.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: irs spam

Postby NZcaver » Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah, I saw one of those a while back too.

Add to the list... phishing emails from banks I do and don't have accounts with, fake eBay and PayPal stuff, even "buyers" responding to Craigslist for sale ads and trying to get you to cash their checks for them. Will it never end? :roll:

If in doubt, mousing over the link like you did usually raises red flags for me if there's a strange URL. Something else I do occasionally is select a bite of the message text and cut/paste it into a Google search. There are websites and blogs out there dedicated to listing/discussing gazillions of common fraudulent emails.

The most recent incident that really ticked me off was when someone got ahold of one of my "spare" email addresses and spammed half the planet using my email as the reply-to address! :mad2:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Jan 16, 2008 11:59 pm

What does mousing over the link do? Doesn't do anything for me except highlight it. ????
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 17, 2008 1:01 am

Teresa wrote:What does mousing over the link do? Doesn't do anything for me except highlight it. ????

When I put my mouse over a a clickable link, the intended website address will pop up in a window. Maybe it's just an aol thing.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jan 17, 2008 8:33 am

Teresa wrote:What does mousing over the link do? Doesn't do anything for me except highlight it. ????

Check the status line at the very bottom of your viewer window.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Teresa » Jan 17, 2008 9:08 am

Dwight Livingston wrote:

Check the status line at the very bottom of your viewer window.

Firefox 2.0 on my machine has no such thing. Not being obnoxious...just letting other folks know this may not work for them.

Ah. Wendy said in her browser window-- this mouseover thing only works in email clients. Checked Thunderbird, and yes, it was there.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am

I use Firefox, too, and mousing over (not highlighting) works for me and shows the URL in the status window on the bottom left of my browser. But you have to have the status bar showing.

View>Status Bar
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Open Talk Forum