Sir Edmund Hillary, RIP

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Edmund Hillary, RIP

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Sir Edmund Hillary has died at age 88. He was the first man to scale Mt Everest in 1953.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10482156
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Sir Edmond Hillary, RIP

Postby Evan G » Jan 10, 2008 7:41 pm

I just read it on AP. Great man and always been one of my heros :sad: .

Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Re: Sir Edmund Hillary, RIP

Postby NZcaver » Jan 10, 2008 10:12 pm

A sad day. He was a truly amazing and humble man.

I saw this thread, and had to check to see if it was true. I think this short excerpt from one article is worth relaying:

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Sir Edmund Hillary, the unassuming beekeeper who conquered Mount Everest to win renown as one of the 20th century's greatest adventurers, has died, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark announced Friday. He was 88.

The gangling New Zealander devoted much of his life to aiding the mountain people of Nepal and took his fame in stride, preferring to be called "Ed" and considering himself just an ordinary beekeeper.

"Sir Ed described himself as an average New Zealander with modest abilities. In reality, he was a colossus. He was an heroic figure who not only 'knocked off' Everest but lived a life of determination, humility, and generosity," Clark said in a statement.

"The legendary mountaineer, adventurer, and philanthropist is the best-known New Zealander ever to have lived," she said.

Hillary's life was marked by grand achievements, high adventure, discovery, excitement — and by his personal humility. Humble to the point that he only admitted being the first man atop Everest long after the death of climbing companion Tenzing Norgay.

He had pride in his feats. Returning to base camp as the man who took the first step onto the top of the world's highest peak, he declared: "We knocked the bastard off."

Full story
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby paul » Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am

Counting Sir Ed among their ranks must have made many Kiwis very proud. RIP
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby NZcaver » Jan 16, 2008 11:02 am

I always thought it was pretty cool he was the only living New Zealander to be featured on New Zealand currency.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 16, 2008 2:19 pm

my favorites:

"You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals."

and

"I removed my oxygen mask to take some pictures. It wasn't enough just to get to the top. We had to get back with the evidence. Fifteen minutes later, we began the descent."
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby NZcaver » Jan 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Sir Ed's state funeral was held today in Auckland (Tuesday 22 January, New Zealand time).

News coverage and video links here

paul wrote:Counting Sir Ed among their ranks must have made many Kiwis very proud.

Yes.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to Open Talk Forum