Relocating...but to where?

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teresa » Dec 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Too bad you're going into the Navy because the Army has caves right ON its Missouri installation, and caving is listed in the post MWR activities.

Ask Phil Winkler to elaborate. On the other hand, they have enough Navy personnel on temporary assignment that they had their OWN Army-Navy football game a few weeks ago.

Point of factoid-- though there are no caves I know of there, the Navy has the China Lakes Navy Base in Ridgecrest, California, in the Owens Valley adjacent to the Mojave Desert, two valleys over from Death Valley. Los Angeles drank the only large body of water near there (Owens Lake) about 1920 or so. Go figure. (Maybe it is a secret spy base, because most normal people would look for the Navy near an ocean. Just kidding, Admiral.)
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Crane in IN would put you within 1-2 hours of good caving and 3 hrs of great caving. it's not WV though :P There used to be a Naval ordinance place in louisville but it deep sixed. The Navy doesn't have postings at Oak Ridge TN do they? :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Herman Miller » Dec 18, 2007 1:09 am

nope just department of energy :)
its a remote chance and they'll prob think i've lost my mind but im definately going to put WV at the top of my dreamsheet (mind you im going into the navy having already spent 6 yrs in the airforce lol )
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 18, 2007 12:24 pm

SofaKingCool wrote:Germany Valley is great and all but Highland County, VA is even closer to Sugar Grove. Highland County is the premier caving spot between Germany Valley and Burnsville Cove.

Highland County (and southwestern VA in general) is why WV can only be "almost" heaven!! :banana:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 18, 2007 2:40 pm

How about Olathe, Kansas? Used to be a Naval Air Station there. No idea why, but......Olathe is not too far from great MO caving.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Herman Miller » Dec 18, 2007 2:46 pm

lol, kansas I think would be in the same dilemna as virginia is in, granted I think virginia is better situated in terms of cave related activities/festivals but still thank you phil for the info.
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Dec 18, 2007 3:17 pm

there is a naval base in Athens, GA, it's small, tiny even, but just a few hours from TAG and it's a wonderful town.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 18, 2007 3:30 pm

Just out of curiosity, Herman, why leave the USAF for the USN? I spent 20 yrs in the Army mainly (I always said) for the wide variety of caving I got to do! Best years were Huntsville, San Antonio and Germany.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Herman Miller » Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm

wendy - the naval station in athens...( i believe thats the one right close to the tag borders and not the sub base on the border with florida) is slated for brac closure.

Phil - I was attached to a special program that kept me from ever leaving Las Vegas... ppl always look at me funny when they find out I've only been stationed in one location....though it seems ive spent time everywhere in the middle east and southwest asia.
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum