"So easy a cave man can do it"

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

"So easy a cave man can do it"

Postby lbartel » Jul 12, 2007 7:29 am

I generally dislike the Geico commercials on TV. If they come on, I'll switch to a different channel and watch commercials there. They just seem dumb to me. This especially includes the cave man commercials, and I am reminded of them every time I log in. I think the guy needs a haircut. Probably a bath too. :-) Anyone share my dislike for these commercials?

On a side note, I wonder if a copyright is being violated with the picture on most NSS web pages.

There, I feel better now.
lbartel
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 32504

Re: "So easy a cave man can do it"

Postby Tlaloc » Jul 12, 2007 7:47 am

lbartel wrote:...I wonder if a copyright is being violated with the picture on most NSS web pages...

Yes.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » Jul 12, 2007 8:00 am

The one where the cavemen are talking on the balcony during a party, then the other caveman declares that he's "getting back together with Tina" :rofl:
Comedy gold.
So yes, I like Geico commercials.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jul 12, 2007 8:05 am

I don't think so. The forum and the NSS are not making money off of the caveman picture. I am sure that Geico has a copyright on the character, but no money is changing hands, so I doubt it would ever become a problem.
Keen marketing people would probably be happy to see the icon on our forum.
If for some odd reason they found the icon to be in violation, they could ask us to remove it, which we probably would immediately. But they would have a hard time finding a financial settlement for any violation.
In any case, anyone could hire a makeup artist and dress up like a Neanderthal, copyright or not. Do the makers of King Kong have a case anytime a gorilla shows up in a movie...? nah.
I don't watch TV very much so I don't find the commercials annoying. I'll probably never see the TV show either unless I happen across it.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Mike Cato » Jul 12, 2007 2:39 pm

My favorite is when he's talking to his shrink and his cell phone rings.
He checks the display and says "It's my mother; I'll put it on speaker".

:laughing:
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Re: "So easy a cave man can do it"

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Tlaloc wrote:
lbartel wrote:...I wonder if a copyright is being violated with the picture on most NSS web pages...

Yes.

Copyright material can be used in parody. I've never seen a Geico commercial where he is wearing a caving helmet.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Ronaldo » Aug 17, 2007 10:44 pm

I like the one where he's at the airport standing on the moving platform, some silly music is playing, and he goes by the picture of himself and does a double take, almost proud but annoyed at the same time. I don't even know why I like it, maybe because I am fascinated with the archeology of ancient man and want to relate to the character... :looking:
Ronaldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Just stumbled across this -- photos of the Geico caveman without his makeup, and the steps for his transformation.
http://tinyurl.com/yscaax

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to Open Talk Forum