Virginia Tech shootings

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby fr73ed » Apr 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Preview
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:32 pm Post subject: The killings
Personally, I'm pissed about alla this.

Big deal, so what. I'm just this guy with anuther opinion.

However, here's this sicko SOB who walks inta a dorm an kills a coupla students.

The school for what ever reason doesn't call for a total evacuation of the ENTIRE SCHOOL.

Or even a lockdown, as I unnerstand it.

Coupla hours pass, an this bastard then kills a whole buncha people.

Now, here's the kicker. This area is sposed ta be some kinda GUN FREE ZONE.

Well, I'd say that shore as hell dint work!

If all the students in that class had been carryin a weapon, this couldn'ta happened.

If even one student had been carryin, this prolly wouldn'ta happened.

If this class had just rushed this bastard, yeah, sure, some woulda been shot but NOT 32 of them.

I know as well as any, alla this is nuthin but Monday mornin quarterbackin.

And then ya have the issue about the doctor what said this guy needs ta be locked up cuz he's crazy.

And that never happened. ( Lockin him up )

This is a lot like Columbine where there were so many warnings given, an the damn cops dint go in to look at what kleebol n harass had, the video's , the writing's, if the cops had looked maybe Columbine wouldn'ta happened. Hard ta say.

A Doctor says this guy is a danger to himself, an I think everbody else, but let's not do anything because he ain't done nuthin against the law.

Sometimes people, ya need ta pay attention to what the facts are sayin.

Personally, I think that the gun control freaks are way outa line.

A good friend once told me that "An armed society is a polite society."

I couldn't agree more.

Go ahead an call me a gun totin fanatic.

I completly believe in the right ta bear arms.

It's in the constitution of the United States of America.

I also believe in conceal carry.

When you bump inta a problem child out there, ain't no need for him ta know you got a .357 under yer shirt.
What this does is allow you to see HIS REAL action towards you, you can see if thy're gonna be a badass or nice, an you don't even need ta show anything but you. Be nice until you need ta be somthin else.

Ya know, this world has changed since I was in them universitys, usta be I worried about how I was gonne do on that GLG 415, or AST 490 or a
shakespear test.( Or maybe it was GLG 101 an phys ed 101.)

Now , I gotta worry about whether either of my boys are gonna live thru this semester.

Hope they got time to study fer their tests .

constitutionally yers,
as always,
fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 21, 2007 5:21 am

fr73ed wrote:If all the students in that class had been carryin a weapon, this couldn'ta happened.

ONE student was carrying - remember?

This is an interesting idea, but you might find a few people out there who are tough to convince - like schools, their staff, law enforcement, etc. Who said hindsight is always 20/20?

Are YOUR kids packing something in the classroom, besides their lunches?

I know it's real easy to offer up solutions after the fact, but perhaps this is not the most appropriate time and place.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fr73ed » Apr 23, 2007 1:17 pm

NZcaver wrote:
fr73ed wrote:If all the students in that class had been carryin a weapon, this couldn'ta happened.

ONE student was carrying - remember?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, I guess I don't remember that.
What I remember is that an ex-student who was in reality an assasin, or killer, or murderer was carryin. As soon as he shot the first two students in the dorm, he was no longer a student, he had become a killer.
That is what I remember, pard.

Or did you miss that point?

Or did you just pretend to miss that point?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an interesting idea, but you might find a few people out there who are tough to convince - like schools, their staff, law enforcement, etc. Who said hindsight is always 20/20?
I dunno. Who said that ?

Not me anyway.

But to answer yer first part, that's what concealed carry is all about. Nobody knows.
Are YOUR kids packing something in the classroom, besides their lunches?
Why do you ask ?
Your concern is touching.
Or is there some other reason you ask ?
I know it's real easy to offer up solutions after the fact, but perhaps this is not the most appropriate time and place.

Well,I did say somethin about Monday mornin QB.
However, I must ask, why do you feel this is not the most appropiate time and place?
What would you suggest that would be more so ?

I guess that I must have offended yer sensibilities somehow by postin here.

You should be more offended by what happened at Virginia Tech, an the dead.

fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 23, 2007 6:06 pm

fr73ed wrote:Well,I did say somethin about Monday mornin QB.

Yep, you did.

However, I must ask, why do you feel this is not the most appropiate time and place?
What would you suggest that would be more so ?

Writing to lawmakers might be a more appropriate (and perhaps more effective) alternative. My comment was simply in reference to the decision made at the end of last year to remove all political/religious discussion from this forum. Agree or disagree, apparently this makes the forum a better place for all of us. Now whether such a contentious line of discussion after a tragic event could be considered "political" or not... well, I guess that's a matter of opinion.

I guess that I must have offended yer sensibilities somehow by postin here.

Personally, not as much as you may think. This is certainly an issue worth discussing, but I think the main reason you suddenly changed the tone of the thread was to try to evoke a reaction.

You should be more offended by what happened at Virginia Tech, an the dead.

I don't know that I felt offended by the events... but I was certainly saddened by them, and sympathetic to the families and friends of the victims. I'd rather leave everything else to the investigators and the Monday Morning Quarterbacks.

Have a nice day.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby caverdan » Apr 23, 2007 7:41 pm

With a CCW, you should be able to carry at any school or college. Both my son and I have been through several gun and home defence coarses. Like Fr73d, My son is in college and a little worried about copy catters and making it through the semester. Do we have our CCW's?? Do we carry? That's our business............you'll never know. I say with a few CCW's in those classrooms, the outcome could have.... and most likely would have been different. If you question the training and ability of what a CCW stands for, then I suggest you take a class and see what it's all about. You don't have to own a gun to take a gun class and I'm betting you'll feel safer around them in the end.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby NZcaver » Apr 23, 2007 9:40 pm

caverdan wrote:If you question the training and ability of what a CCW stands for, then I suggest you take a class and see what it's all about. You don't have to own a gun to take a gun class and I'm betting you'll feel safer around them in the end.

I think that's actually a good suggestion Dan.

Being able to safely and confidently handle a firearm is a very important skill, in my humble experience. It's trying to learn and constantly exercise perfect judgment that's the real challenge.

>>I guess I need to back-pedal a bit. This new line of discussion doesn't appear to be upsetting anyone - rather it seems to have sparked some intelligent discussion. In light of this, I would like to respectfully withdraw my previous "inappropriate time and place" comment directed at fr73ed. Please accept my humble retraction.<<

However, I'm still not convinced that arming students on campus is the answer. I see too much potential for more tragic situations to be created, rather than to be magically solved. This is just my 2 cents - feel free to disagree. Perhaps we should start a new thread on this?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum