Global Warming NOT caused by CO2

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Global Warming NOT caused by CO2

Postby Mark620 » Mar 17, 2007 1:26 am

"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Re: Global Warming NOT caused by CO2

Postby GypsumWolf » Mar 17, 2007 3:28 pm

That is very interesting, but either way Industry is very unhealthy for many reasons. I think that there are ways to live primitively, healthfully and have a long good life.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Mar 18, 2007 11:27 am

I'd suggest if people have broadband, that they watch this program, especially if they've seen the Al Gore presentation. It presents another perspective on this whole controversy. Grit your teeth if you are a pro-warming true believer--and chill out if you think GW is a bunch of overblown hype.

At that point, you will have seen both the pro and con extremes. The truth likely lies somewhere in the middle, although the conclusions that GW research was initiated by Margaret Thatcher to put down the coal mining union and that the US gov't has 'caved' and is now rabidly pro-green are both a little hard to swallow.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby erebus » Mar 18, 2007 7:24 pm

You might want to learn a little more about the producer of this show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Dur ... n_director)
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby Teresa » Mar 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Actually, I didn't need to read anything about the producer to see his bias--it was evident in the first 3 minutes. Just as one doesn't even need to see more than a similar bit of the Gore-arama to know what its bias is likely to be. Everyone on the planet with an opinion, scientists and me included, has a bias on the topic. It is always good to see what others are saying, and assess their veracity.

Any issue which does not have at least two sides is not really at issue. A number of lines of inquiry brought up in this British programme are things which I've independently found in arcane GW literature, and which the popular US media play down as 'unimportant'--because it requires complex analysis to account for, and they are just into the sound-bite of global warming.

Listen to 'em all and make up your own mind...isn't this the wonderful privilege we enjoy?
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bobatnathrop » Mar 18, 2007 11:08 pm

I am not sold on the whole Global Warming thing yet. Sure man-made source contribute a small percentage. But natural sources do FAR more damage than humans ever could.
The average HS Science book says that one volcanic eruption puts out more polutants than all mad-made sources....Ever....
Just my two cents.

Oo and I am saying it doesnt exist, Just saying that I havent seen it. Specially when it was like -5degs here for like 2 weeks.

-Jeremy
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

Postby bigalpha » Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am

Bobatnathrop wrote:
Oo and I am saying it doesnt exist, Just saying that I havent seen it. Specially when it was like -5degs here for like 2 weeks.

-Jeremy

that's the funny thing. Global warming would actually cause another ice age. :shock:
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby erebus » Mar 19, 2007 5:45 am

Here's one of the scientists who appeared in the show, saying his views were misrepresented, and he does not agree with the premise of the film:
In the part of the "Swindle" film where I am describing the fact that the ocean tends to expel carbon dioxide where it is warm, and to absorb it where it is cold, my intent was to explain that warming the ocean could be dangerous---because it is such a gigantic reservoir of carbon. By its placement in the film, it appears that I am saying that since carbon dioxide exists in the ocean in such large quantities, human influence must not be very important --- diametrically opposite to the point I was making --- which is that global warming is both real and threatening in many different ways, some unexpected.
. . .
Channel 4 now says they were making a film in a series of "polemics". There is nothing in the communication we had (much of it on the telephone or with the film crew on the day they were in Boston) that suggested they were making a film that was one-sided, anti-educational, and misleading. I took them at face value---clearly a great error. I knew I had no control over the actual content, but it never occurred to me that I was dealing with people who already had a reputation for distortion and exaggeration.
He also responded directly to the producers in a letter.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby erebus » Mar 19, 2007 5:58 am

And then producer Martin Durkin goes all Dick Cheney at some other scientists who criticize the film.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 19, 2007 7:01 am

not to go off topic but I do feel that society as a whole is begining to come around. There is a community being built now here in las vegas that is going to be "eco-friendly" in that there will be no motorized vehicles allowed and it will be powered through "alternative" methods.
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby YuccaPatrol » Mar 19, 2007 7:09 am

What sort of "eco-friendly" method will they use to get water in Las Vegas?
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Herman Miller » Mar 19, 2007 7:19 am

lol, probably the eco-friendly method the rest of the state is talking about... stealing it from northern nevada and utah...in reality my grotto is helping a study establishing a baseline water level for the region. by drawing down the water level even further in this desert region most ecologists locally believe that the mohave desert will likely expand 200/300 miles north into central nevada ie ecological disaster
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby JackW » Mar 19, 2007 8:05 pm

Bobatnathrop wrote:Sure man-made source contribute a small percentage. But natural sources do FAR more damage than humans ever could. -Jeremy

Got the same opinion on the ozone hole?
JackW
Prolific Poster

Name: Jack Wood
NSS #: 42272
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FRG

Postby erebus » Mar 20, 2007 5:58 am

Bobatnathrop wrote:The average HS Science book says that one volcanic eruption puts out more polutants than all mad-made sources....Ever....
Just my two cents.
The average HS science book seems to be wrong.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Illinois Caver » Mar 20, 2007 8:19 am

I have an interesting wrinkle...

What about the increased exposure of limestone to surface and subsurface water?

How does that affect the CO2 content? hmmmm......
Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Name: Troy Simpson
NSS #: 45667
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum