Apartment Security...I need ideas

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Apartment Security...I need ideas

Postby bigalpha » Jan 13, 2007 10:28 pm

So, I need some ideas!!!

Things are kind of strange in my apartment -- it's almost like we have a ghost; things go missing then show up. Sometimes, things never show back up. Things get moved around, when neither one of us have moved anything.

I'm looking for a way to monitor our front (and only) door. The best way would be a camera that takes a picture whenever the door is opened. So, what do you guys think? I'm looking for something cheap (free).
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Apartment Security...I need ideas

Postby NZcaver » Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am

bigalpha wrote:I'm looking for a way to monitor our front (and only) door. The best way would be a camera that takes a picture whenever the door is opened. So, what do you guys think? I'm looking for something cheap (free).

Free might be tough - unless you can sleep with one eye open. :wink:

I'll PM you...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby bigalpha » Jan 14, 2007 1:16 am

Nope, both eyes closed for me. I'll be lookin' for that PM.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 14, 2007 12:06 pm

This isnt cheap, but how much is your stuff worth to you?

Hidden Camera
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby caverdoc » Jan 14, 2007 12:41 pm

If you have any buddies that are hard-core deer hunters, they might have a "trail watching" camera that is triggered by movement. The digital camera inside can take many photographs. If you offer to give them your old caving ropes for 4WD tow/extraction ropes they might loan it...

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby cob » Jan 14, 2007 5:25 pm

ok Al, I'll be the one to suggest the simple, low-tech, (and cheap too) solution to your problem... change the lock (and use a dead bolt), and don't give a key to your land lord.

If the Land Lord comes and complains... you know who it was. If they don't... it is probably an ex tenant. If you change it, and the land lord doesn't come and complain about it, and stuff still comes up missing...

It' you (or your room mate), and you are just an idiot like me who needs a girlfriend like mine who can keep track of all my s***, even when I can't.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 14, 2007 7:44 pm

If your computer is within sight of the front door, you can put up a simple web cam (computer camera) and just point it at the door.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Evan G » Jan 15, 2007 1:44 pm

There are some simple ways on find out if someone is coming in or out of a door.

At night if you are around, put a small carpet in front of the inside of the door and under the carpet put some bubble wrap.

If you are not around put a piece of scotch tape at the bottom of the door jam with a little silt on top of the scotch tape. If it is broken someone been in your apt.

What I would do:

Before you call the cops, it is best that you do not “suspect” that someone is coming in and out of the door. But find out for yourself first.

One of the best things to do if you suspect someone coming in or out of the door. Is clean the door toughly, wipe all prints and dust away. So that you have a clean slate.

Make a File:
Fingerprint yourself and anyone that use that door often. A stamp pad and a piece of paper are good for this. Mark on the paper left thumbprint, etc. be through

Get some powered graphite and a makeup brush. Plus some clear packing tape which you use to lift the fingerprint off the surface and attach it to a 6X9 card with the information of: Date/ time and a description of what has been going on that day Put is in the file. Don't get hyper if you find a new fingerprint on the outside of the door, it is when it is on the inside of the door that is when you smile.

Use the scotch tape method of sealing the door, NOT MUCH or it will be seen. Don’t go overboard!!!! You don’t want it to be seen.

When you see the tape broken, dust for fingerprints

When you have a enough proof of someone coming in or out of the door.

Seal the door with tape, then when you see the tape broken call the cops and DON’T TOUCH the door or dust it. Let the pro's do it, because they are building a case when they arrive. Stay out of their way, but show them what you have collected.

The police might not catch the person but it will give a record of the event.
Last edited by Evan G on Jan 15, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby wendy » Jan 15, 2007 2:03 pm

kver33 wrote:There are some simple ways on find out if someone is coming in or out of a door.

At night if you are around, put a small carpet in front of the inside of the door and under the carpet put some bubble wrap.

If you are not around put a piece of scotch tape at the bottom of the door jam with a little silt on top of the scotch tape. If it is broken someone been in your apt.

What I would do:

Before you call the cops, it is best that you do not “suspect” that someone is coming in and out of the door. But find out for yourself first.

One of the best things to do if you suspect someone coming in or out of the door. Is clean the door toughly, wipe all prints and dust away. So that you have a clean slate.

Make a File:
Fingerprint yourself and anyone that use that door often. A stamp pad and a piece of paper are good for this. Mark on the paper left thumbprint, etc. be through

Get some powered graphite and a makeup brush. Plus some clear packing tape which you use to lift the fingerprint off the surface and attach it to a 6X9 card with the information of: Date/ time and a description of what has been going on that day Put is in the file. Don't get hyper if you find a new fingerprint on the outside of the door, it is when it is on the inside of the door that is when you smile.

Use the scotch tape method of sealing the door, NOT MUCH or it will be seen. Don’t go overboard!!!! You don’t want it to be seen.

When you see the tape broken, dust for fingerprints

When you have a enough proof of someone coming in or out of the door.

Seal the door with tape, then when you see the tape broken call the cops and DON’T TOUCH the door or dust it. Let the pro's do it, because they are building case when they arrive. Stay out of their way, but show them what you have collected.

The police might not catch the person but it will give a record of the event.

geez i don't agree with that

sure you can wipe the door off to make a 'clean slate', but do not attempt to dust the door yourself, so what if you get print son the door that aren't yours? even if you are a truthful person, thsose prints relaly won't mean much to the cops if they did not collect them themselves, and they certainly would not hold up in court (defense would say you could have gotten those prints from anywhere).

if you think someone that should not have a key to your place, does have a key, then ask the landlord to change your locks

also putting the tape on the bottom ofthe door, to see if the seal is broken, is not a bad idea
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Jan 15, 2007 2:17 pm

What is the bubble wrap and carpet for? Is that so you will here them popping and wake up? Sort of like a poor man's motion sensor... :rofl:

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 15, 2007 2:41 pm

There's an easier way of doing the door to see if someone has opened it.. stick a toothpick or tiny piece of wood into the area between the door and the door jam after you shut it. If someone opens the door, you'll find the toothpick missing when you return. This also works on windows.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Jep » Jan 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Back in 1978 I was having apartment issues. I told my apartment neighbors that my pet copperhead got out. No one came to my apartment again. They all knew I had snakes. Too many in 1978.

Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Evan G » Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm

What is the bubble wrap and carpet for? Is that so you will here them popping and wake up? Sort of like a poor man's motion sensor...

You got it, joey! Big A asked for cheap that is all I could think of.

sure you can wipe the door off to make a 'clean slate', but do not attempt to dust the door yourself, so what if you get print son the door that aren't yours? even if you are a truthful person, thsose prints relaly won't mean much to the cops if they did not collect them themselves, and they certainly would not hold up in court (defense would say you could have gotten those prints from anywhere).

The basis is not for a defense in court. The basis is to show to yourself and others that you have a real problem instead of a suspected one. Once it is established; that is when you bring the experts like yourself into it. The cops are doing a lot, I would rather not waste their important time.

BTW- I don’t watch CSI or anything like that, my family has been running businesses for a very long time. I have worked with the police on many occasion because of employee theif and I am not an expert, but the one thing I’m asked by the experts to do is: Is make sure you have a problem before calling them and define the problem. >>> thus collecting of the physical. The first court you have to go thru is convincing people you have a problem.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jan 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Big A,

Here you go a cheap deer stand camera and security gadget:

I have been thinking about it, what you need is:

>A kids suction cup dart gun (take off the suction cup)
>A Disposible camera
>Duct tape (Duh!!!!)
>Hanger
>thread
>something that you can redirect the thread thru

God I feel like I building a goldburg device!

The hanger you need to shape into a device that you can hold the camera & dart gun in place. The idea is to shoot the camera trigger with the dart gun. The thead is the redirect for the door opening. So you have to take the eyelets and redirect the direction of the thread so that it pulls the Dart gun tigger which shoots the camera and takes the pic. The Duct Tape holds the whole thing down!

Have fun!!!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Jan 15, 2007 6:10 pm

You asked for cheap, it is easy to go expensive! So have fun! Big A
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster