Any geocachers?

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Any geocachers?

Postby GypsumWolf » Dec 14, 2006 8:01 pm

I started this recently, it is fun. I have hid 2 geocaches. My name on geocaching.com is GypsumWolf.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Dec 15, 2006 8:18 am

It can be addictive in the SE. A number of cavers are cachers in Huntsville. I love to hit a few caches on trips.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

New GPS

Postby Lost » Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am

I have done a few with an old Magellan GPS that only had 3 decimals on the lat/lon. But now I just got a Garwin that is way cool. I used it yesterday and got with in 3' of my mark after a mile long hike through the woods. I'm planing on doing a few caches this weekend.

Russel
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby bigalpha » Dec 28, 2006 12:07 pm

Me and my girl used to, then we lost the GPS somehow. :(
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby icave » Dec 28, 2006 5:40 pm

My wife and I often try to hit caches on our drives to cave trips, vacations, etc. We prefer caches with long hikes. Very addicting. I have no caching name, but she is Muddskipper.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 28, 2006 6:17 pm

icave wrote:My wife and I often try to hit caches on our drives to cave trips, vacations, etc. We prefer caches with long hikes. Very addicting. I have no caching name, but she is Muddskipper.
Sure you have a caching name. It's "icave." I'm "Squirrel Girl" everywhere I go! I even have a squirrel and a girl decal on my car.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby KnottyKnanna » Dec 28, 2006 9:03 pm

Ok, I admit....I don't know what it is, but I have friends that do it and say it is fun....

Evidently I have been living in a "cave" these last few years :rofl:

Would somebody take pity and enlighten me??
I love caving!! As long as I don't break a nail....
http://www.MySpace.com/CaverChic
KnottyKnanna
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: #57233
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby Grandpa Caver » Dec 28, 2006 10:34 pm

KnottyKnanna wrote:Ok, I admit....I don't know what it is, but I have friends that do it and say it is fun....

Here ya go Knotty: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

I've never tried it but it sounds to me a lot like tracking down a cave with known coord's only a little less rewarding.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby KnottyKnanna » Dec 29, 2006 10:38 am

Grandpa Caver wrote:
KnottyKnanna wrote:Ok, I admit....I don't know what it is, but I have friends that do it and say it is fun....

Here ya go Knotty: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

I've never tried it but it sounds to me a lot like tracking down a cave with known coord's only a little less rewarding.

Thanks, Grandpa!!
I love caving!! As long as I don't break a nail....
http://www.MySpace.com/CaverChic
KnottyKnanna
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: #57233
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

caches

Postby Lost » Jan 8, 2007 12:17 pm

We hit 3 caches yesterday with my 4 year old. She loves it and calles it tresure hunting. We found 2 of the 3 we were looking for. Spent 45 min looking for last one but Fraggle Rocks stumped us.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 8, 2007 7:32 pm

I Love geocaching! I'm closing on #200. Scott, we talked in Bellingham about caching, I launched a couple coins out there. Even managed to find a cache in British Columbia! I'm going to Carter Caves Crawlathon in a couple weeks, planning on caching my way out and back.
My geocaching name is "caverdoc."
My son LOVES it! He also calls it "treasure hunting."
If you want to see some interesting caches, check out the Psycho Urban Cache series in Maryland, especially "Hot Glowing Tribulations."
I've put out four so far, want to sow a few more around Kansas.
And it is very addicting....
Dr Kennedy
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby CaverScott » Jan 8, 2007 11:05 pm

caverdoc wrote:I Love geocaching! I'm closing on #200. Scott, we talked in Bellingham about caching, I launched a couple coins out there. Even managed to find a cache in British Columbia! And it is very addicting....
Dr Kennedy

Yup, I remember that. I think I snagged one of your coins at the cache that was about 200 feet from our dorm room. We picked up two or three in Canada and a dozen or so in Washington. I even got my old pal Josh hooked on it - get out now while you can! Addiction is very hard to overcome.

I love the places that they take you too. Some are so close that I never would have known they existed without caching. I am in for the hunt. Jules like to trade stuff. We have a few trackables out there as well.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby caverdoc » Jan 9, 2007 6:16 am

Scott
I love the thrill of the hunt!
I guess it reminds me of being back in Rangers/SF. I'm out tramping around the woods with a pack on my back, "regardless of weather, light or terrain" as our operations orders used to state. When my 5-year old Nicholas is along I usually spot the cache (gotta love those parallel sticks in the middle of nowhere!) and announce "it's gotta be around here..." The joy on his face when he finds a "treasure box"is priceless.
Dr K
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Mustard Devil » Apr 11, 2007 11:59 am

I started geocaching August 2001 and have 1633 finds. Its all about the hunt and the places Ive been to caching, like London , Scotland and afghanistan(didnt find any there:(

It is a bit harder than "tracking down a cave with known cords" , especially when the listed cords aint that accurate.

One of the geocoins I sent to Scotland "traveled" from there to Tenerife to Denmark and is now in a cache near Praque :banana:
Mustard Devil
Infrequent Poster

Postby thermopyle » Apr 11, 2007 2:57 pm

We just started this, having been letterboxing for a few years. My kid loves it. It's awesome when she finds one.

We picked up a travelbug yesterday, and we're photographing him underground next time we go caving.

My geocaching name is SMAGMAGS
thermopyle
Occasional Poster

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum