utube

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

utube

Postby cob » Oct 10, 2006 4:56 pm

Just in case you missed it...

the 28 & 29 yr old guys who created u-tube a mere 1 and a half yrs ago, just sold it to google for...

$1,500,000,000

Is this a great country or what?
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby San Francisco Mike » Oct 10, 2006 5:54 pm

Indeed! Amazing.
Set the controls for the heart of the sun...
San Francisco Mike
New Poster

Postby JoeyS » Oct 10, 2006 9:32 pm

I continue to be amazed by the money generated by google and anything they touch. I mean, I use yahoo or google to search, but it really doesn't seem like they are that different. I don't use youtube much, because I am on DSL lite so it doesn't load video as quick; I understand the concept though.. To sum it up, I would rate the 400 dollar google stock a SELL. Remember the dot com bubble-bust? This is more of the same, I believe...

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby cob » Oct 11, 2006 7:34 am

JoeyS wrote:To sum it up, I would rate the 400 dollar google stock a SELL. Remember the dot com bubble-bust? This is more of the same, I believe...

I am certainly not one to give buy/sell advice but from what I heard from several "experts", it was a good buy for google. google had tried setting up a competive video site and it was a complete flop, u-tube had it all locked up. So if you can't beat 'em... buy 'em.

Why is this different from the .com bust? U-tube actually had a decent business model with good revenues.

Why is it a good buy for google? Because the combination of googles advertising clientele, and u-tubes committed following, = lots and lots of $$$$$$$.

Makes sense to me. tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Oct 11, 2006 7:51 am

for a comprehensive analysis, go here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6241964
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 11, 2006 10:32 am

With Google's targeted text ads (targeted to the content of a specific page), it makes great sense for Google to grab the chance to advertise on a site that pulls 100 MILION page views a day.

Still, I don't think it's worth what they paid for it, but it seems to be a "must have" if Google wants to take the forefront of the Internet.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby bigalpha » Oct 12, 2006 9:30 am

Just imagine if you had bought bought google stock when it first became public!! Like, you go to the bank and take out the biggest loan you possibly could -- that google stock increased in value so quickly and so high, that you could really have made a whole year's salary. he
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby sandalscout » Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Was YouTube actually making money? I heard that they were losing money, but getting better every month. I'm not sure why everyone always said the video.goole was a flop, I loved it, much cooler than youtube.... just my opinion.
sandalscout
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 12, 2006 6:02 pm

They were losing money since they started because they didn't allow advertising until recently. It was a great plan: get the audience first, drawn by free uploads, no ads, and an easy way to tag videos so like videos can be found.

After they got the eyeballs, they introduced ads from advertisers beating down their door. Personally, I don't think the ads work -- I can't remember a single one I've seen on YouTube.

Google video "failed" in that it never achieved the popularity of YouTube (the number of page views).

Now, Google can run its targeted ads on YouTube, which I think will be more interesting. You watch a video of bikers doing tricks and you'll see Google ads for bikes, bike accessories, etc. on that same page. Watch a caving video and you'll get ads for Karst Sports (I'm not sure if IMO uses Google ads, but I know Karst does) and other caving-related companies. I figure they'll come up with something like their Google custom search, where you are notified if something with the key words you enter is put on the Web -- and that will translate to video subjects you are interested in.

The combination puts Google at #2 behind Yahoo in total page views and I still can't figure out how Yahoo ended up being #1. Maybe it's all those Yahoo Groups. The popularity of Yahoo is a puzzlement to me.

In a transparent move against Microsoft, Google is coming out with free online word processing and spread sheets. It's in beta now and already online, I hear.

P.S. Here's a msg from the two YouTube founders following news of their acquisition. They're probably giddy from being instant millionaires:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVxQ_3Ejkg
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby sandalscout » Oct 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Okay, that makes sense. I too, have never understand the popularity of Yahoo, but specifically that popularity that it has maintained. I've never much cared for Yahoo, but unlike AOL, I guess Yahoo has been able to retain users for a very long time.

I saw the online Spreadsheet thing recently. I hope it takes off.
sandalscout
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Oct 13, 2006 7:09 am

I think we stick with Yahoo because our account goes with us no matter what online provider we use. You dump AOL, (as I did along with many others) you lose your personal identity. And FYI, Yahoo has an awesome financial section that allows me to track investments, etc... Google doesn't have this, or at least, it is not nearly as popular.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Google has the better search engine by far, but I too stick with Yahoo as my home page for news etc. Plus the Yahoo groups are good for storing photos. I don't like those photo websites that make you create an account just to view other people's albums. Maybe now I should create myself a YouTube account, and upload some videos... :cool:

[Edited to correct typo]
Last edited by NZcaver on Oct 13, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 13, 2006 2:54 pm

just FYI,

YouTube (http://youtube.com/) is the web site being discussed here.
Utube (http://utube.com/) is the web site for the Universal Tube & Rollform Equipment Corporation which is getting overwhelmed with traffic from misspelling web surfers. Here's an article about this: LINK

Also, by buying YouTube, Google has made itself very appealing to Hollywood lawyers. Expect a staggering amount of copyright infringement suits to be filed against the deep-pocketed Google. YouTube never had enough money to make it worth the effort.

Google + YouTube = GooTube. Soon to be SueTube.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Open Talk Forum